Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/1/14 10:30 a.m.

but who can put a price on a FLYING CAR!

http://www.fly-skyrunner.com/ http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/10/31/skyrunner-flying-atv-goes-on-sale/

$119k. 115mph on the street, 1.0 ecoboost engine. Wow... it's everything I've ever wanted.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
5/1/14 10:49 a.m.

For an extremely prohibitive cost

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/1/14 10:51 a.m.

If that works half as well as an Ultra-lite aircraft... they will be gazillionaires. I am going to have to re-think my next project build if "flying berkeleying ATV" is a real thing.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
5/1/14 11:06 a.m.

I shudder to think of the carnage when these things sell on the used market for less than 10 grand and the air is thick with them during the morning commute. Holy moron mortality, Batman!

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
5/1/14 11:11 a.m.

I don't see any rear drive half-shafts in those pictures. I clicked the link to "Skyrunner" and you can clearly see them there. So I guess you can get one with NO road ability . . . or that is a picture of a flight test prototype.

At 10,000ft. I sure would want a bright strobe light on that thing. It just wouldn't do to have a fast fixed wing with a sight seeing pilot cut your lines.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/1/14 11:53 a.m.

Powered parachute, while they don't require a terribly long field to takeoff or land, do need a broad one-- takeoffs and landings need to be done into the wind. Any significant crosswind and the roll-over risk is pretty high.

So, you shouldn't have to worry too much about them taking off or landing on the freeway in front of you!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
5/1/14 1:28 p.m.

So when the crosswinds blow my old truck two feet into the next lane over, the guy above me in one if these is what? Totally screwed that's what!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad New Reader
5/1/14 1:34 p.m.

OK, I want one of these....

BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
5/1/14 5:14 p.m.

Seems cool. Cost looks to be completely ridiculous for what it is...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
5/1/14 5:18 p.m.

It will be interesting to see how many manual SS's they sell. Cool car. Very small market.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
5/1/14 5:56 p.m.

Oh man, I can see these being a huge hit with moneyed rednecks. I also suspect they will fall from the sky with amazing regularity once the "hold my beer" crowd gets ahold of them.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/14 6:22 p.m.

115 mph on the ground? That seems to be a stretch.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/1/14 6:52 p.m.

Molt Taylor did it better in the 50s.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
5/1/14 7:20 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I shudder to think of the carnage when these things sell on the used market for less than 10 grand and the air is thick with them during the morning commute. Holy moron mortality, Batman!

I'm not worried about that. At that price, they'll sell 3.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
5/1/14 7:52 p.m.

That looks like a fun and rather timely death to me. I think I will pass though if it's all the same.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
5/1/14 8:02 p.m.

for that price, I'll just buy a Miata and used Cessna and call it a day....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KI1OJvCvBii8xB00BAevoxjT5SBawE5y0XERTnWmjysrZE5C9OO4wZ7lJkp85JUU