wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/3/11 11:48 a.m.

I have a turbo II second gen that I have fun with. It is registered and street legal. However, I mostly take it to the track to do track days and autocross, etc...

I will be running on street tires (probably Star Specs)

I do not drift, but wouldn't mind having the ability to let it hang out at a gymkhana.

What are people running these days as far as dampers or coilovers?

My budget is around $1000.00 for coilovers, or $600.00 for just shocks.

Thanks,

Rob

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/11 12:17 p.m.

I ran Racing Beat springs and KYB AGX dampers. I was able to fit 225 width tires using that setup with no wheel rub.

wvumtnbkr
2/3/11 1:04 p.m.

I am running the KYB AGX dampers now. I don't like them very much! I feel like my 78 Malibu with some old Bilsteins is better damped.

Do you have any experience with any other dampers?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/11 1:23 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

I use Bilsteins on my Golf, and they are great. They were more $$ than the KYBs, though.

The springs make a huge difference, too. Stock springs are old, worn out and seriously under-sprung for any kind of really spirited driving. Also, how old are the KYBs?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/3/11 2:05 p.m.

Ground Control coil-overs

wvumtnbkr
2/3/11 2:48 p.m.

I have 350 # eibach front springs with 225# eibach rear springs with some cheap coilovers. Stock strut tops.

The KYB's are about 2 years old. I have them on their stiffest setting in the rear and softest in the front.

They just seem mismatched to me. When I turn up the dampening on them they feel damped in compression, but rebound way too quick.

All of the good shocks are not made anymore. No more Bilsteins, no more Koni's...

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
2/3/11 3:22 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: All of the good shocks are not made anymore. No more Bilsteins, no more Koni's...

That's weird, I checked Tire Rack and they don't list Konis or Bilsteins for the FC anymore. They are available here from Vivid Racing:

Koni Front Shocks

Koni Rear Shocks

You can get Bilsteins from Vivid too, but AFAIK they don't make any adjustable shocks for the FC. The front Konis are inserts, so make sure you have a spare set of stock front shocks to cannabalize.

I have a used set of Konis on my non-turbo FC and AGXs on my turbo FC. I don't have much experience with the AGXs since the radiator in the turbo is toast, but the Konis are pretty good. On the softest setting they are nice and taught on the street without rattling your kidneys over bumps. I could never get the adjustments right on them for autocross, but I chalk that up to inexperience. The only thing I don't like about the Konis is that you have to remove the rear speakers from the strut towers to adjust the rear damping.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/3/11 4:14 p.m.

Here's an interesting read before you buy your shocks.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
2/3/11 5:28 p.m.

You can find the Konis at shox.com (usually) and add some Ground Control coilovers and you are good to go.

Nis14
Nis14 New Reader
2/4/11 12:46 p.m.

I was thinking about getting some BC Racing Coilovers... for 1000.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
2/4/11 1:13 p.m.

http://www.iscracing.net/2nd_gen_rx7.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IKR4bH5D0bhQRmaEQCi10XOzGy7NE7S7ayDjW0T1XQ8KDj12QCcmmqo9SyCp3tPF