MrMook
MrMook New Reader
4/1/10 8:37 p.m.

Our '97 Golf (the one that's NOT sitting in the yard awaiting it's rebirth as a rallycrosser) is in need of some maintenance to tighten up the front end and improve general handling. Right now, it's stock as hell, with 140xxx miles on what I'm assuming are original components. The goal is to keep the ride height manageable for a reliable daily driver, and just spruce everything up for a "like new" feel. With any luck, this car will see a few autoX events, but it's main duty will be transport. Budget is around $1K.

The shopping list:

• H&R Sport Cup Kit (Alternative to this: Koni STR.T's and a spring-swap with my other Golf, which is sitting on H&R sport springs with at least 50K on them)
  • Control arm bushings: Poly fronts, and R32/TT rears
  • Ball Joints
  • Bumpstops (front and rear)
  • Strut mount bearings
  • Tie Rod assemblies
  • Wheel bearings
  • Camber bolts (maybe)
  • New swaybar links/bushings (maybe)

Am I missing anything that could/should be addressed when doing a suspension/steering overhaul? And barring any rusting or cracking I may find, can I just sandblast and powdercoat my old springs and keep them going?

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
4/1/10 9:40 p.m.

Not a V-dub guy in the least, but does it have rack and pinion? Does the rack use rubber bushings? I know WRXs had a squishy feel to them even new because of crappy rack bushings.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
4/1/10 11:13 p.m.

Good idea. A quick web search indicates that the racks on these models only have one bushing. I'll take a look at it when I'm under there.

Any thoughts on using old springs?

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
4/1/10 11:30 p.m.

Any coil spring will settle. Not sure if you're running the original springs, but if I were bucks down, I say screw new ones and focus on tie rods, bushing, etc... Just remember, that you need to get it aligned twice if you wait on the springs. Once for the new tie rods and again for the springs.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
4/2/10 12:13 a.m.

I'm not a vdub guy either and I don't know the specs of the h&r stuff, but I'd be tempted to just get the koni str (or yellows) and use the h&r springs you already have. That is, if you're happy with them and like the rates. Unless there's obvious corrosion or damage, 50K shouldn't be a big deal for a good set of springs. I wouldn't even bother re-powdercoating them unless there were obvious problems. I live in a southern, non-salted state though.

I've never replaced my bumpstops either, unless they came with some struts. They don't affect the alignment and rarely see high loads (whacked every now and then). At most I'll trim them for lower springs. Again, if they look torn up then by all means.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
4/2/10 8:48 a.m.

I'd avoid the H&R Cup kit unless you're just looking to go "leaux and hellaflush." At least for the E30s, the Cup kit is very soft.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
4/2/10 11:08 a.m.

LOL @ hellaflush I do like that look (don't shoot me!). But for me, and my current cars, all mods are going to be focused on reliability and performance. I get way more satisfaction from a good autoX run than slow-rolling over speedbumps with my arm out the window lookin' freshhh.

Since this is mostly a shared daily-driver (my GF and I both drive it), I'm shooting for improved day-to-day handling, and a more "planted" feel . The current suspension is showing it's age, and I just want a reliable improvement over stock. Maybe a cup-kit isn't really worth my time. Ideally, I'd splurge on a Shine set-up, but maybe Koni's and the H&R's to start, and if I just don't like the springs, It wouldn't be too difficult or expensive to try new springs down the road.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/2/10 11:18 a.m.

what? no mad tyte tire stretching?

Raze
Raze HalfDork
4/2/10 12:19 p.m.

ouch, the rim cut my eyeball

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HJRQXBaE0rvoLawcNwtf3DfZmGb5SG5CycIddAQFKNe31GoXUDbw6alsO3D1aawn