1 2
docwyte
docwyte Reader
4/30/12 10:48 a.m.

Want something that can tow at least 7000lbs. Budget around $25k.

Thinking Porsche Cayenne, GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe or ???

NGTD
NGTD Dork
4/30/12 12:28 p.m.

For those dollars - I like the Tahoe/Yukon.

Older Durango's (V8'S - not sure of years)and Explorer's (02-10) can do those weights, but not the new ones.

Funky choice - VW - TDi V10 Touareg - 500 lb/ft (or 550?) with the diesel, but issues with electrical.

Fixed as per note below

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
4/30/12 1:34 p.m.

I wouldnt draw such vague distinction between the older and newer durangos and explorers. For example, i think that's kinda goofy to try with any explorer until the early 00s, and while the early durango could do it (not my favorite idea) the newer durango could do it pretty easily. So in that group of older and newer explorers and durangos there is a range from 'that's stupid' to 'its actually rated higher than that'. So i think more precision is called for. hehe

if you want to spend 25k on an suv for a DD im going to assume you're a flagrant type and dont give a rats ass about gas mileage, so im going to recommend a used long wheelbase Escalade.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
4/30/12 4:02 p.m.
Vigo wrote: if you want to spend 25k on an suv for a DD im going to assume you're a flagrant type and dont give a rats ass about gas mileage, so im going to recommend a used long wheelbase Escalade.

Ha!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
4/30/12 4:04 p.m.

Excursion with the 7.3 wins all over for this use

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-3-L-Powerstroke-Excursion-TONS-Extras-/110872046316?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19d07d2aec

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
4/30/12 4:22 p.m.

Wanna buy a 2006 Jeep Commander? Please?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
4/30/12 7:37 p.m.

Durango's are gutless pieces of garbage that get as bad of mpg as SRT8 Cherokees with half the power.

Ya, I said it, DEAL

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
4/30/12 8:31 p.m.

My top choice would be the GM options, the Expedition is a good truck, but I hate the mod motor. Don't forget about the Toyota Sequioa and Nissan Armada.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
4/30/12 9:08 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Durango's are gutless pieces of garbage that get as bad of mpg as SRT8 Cherokees with half the power. Ya, I said it, DEAL

You forgot ugly as sin too! Not a fan, I just know that they are rated to pull that much.

Like I said my money on that bunch would be a Tahoe/Yukon and the newer the better.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
4/30/12 9:17 p.m.

My $1600 220K Expedition 5.4 has towed to the Challenge and picked up cars all over the Mid West and beyond.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/12 9:22 p.m.

Something interesting I discovered about the Trailblazer SS.

It doesn't use the weaksauce magnesium-case 10-bolt rear that the regular ones have. No, the SS uses a 14-bolt!

Sure, they only get about 13mpg unladen, but if you're economically masochistic enough to consider a Cayenne (Porsche minivan, not really a truck) then you could just redirect funds from the "OMG HIDEOUS MAINTENANCE" column into the "JESUS OPEC CHRIST" column.

Knurled
4/30/12 9:23 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Durango's are gutless pieces of garbage that get as bad of mpg as SRT8 Cherokees with half the power. Ya, I said it, DEAL

Quoted for truth.

The 5.9 and Hemi Durangos actually get better fuel economy than the 4.7.

Guess what I tow with

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
4/30/12 9:37 p.m.

Sequioa

stan_d
stan_d Dork
4/30/12 9:57 p.m.

I done 4000lb with 99 Cherokee a little scary on down hill moutains other than that it towed just fine. Only have 1500 in it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
4/30/12 9:59 p.m.
stan_d wrote: I done 4000lb with 99 Cherokee a little scary on down hill moutains other than that it towed just fine. Only have 1500 in it.

Ha, my trailer weighs 3000 Stan...lol

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
4/30/12 10:22 p.m.

New 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6 2WD can be had for under 26k and they are rated to tow 7000lbs. A used V8 one might be a better option.

Knurled
5/1/12 7:17 a.m.

I've been stuck too many times to consider towing with a 2wd anything. Just a little soft grass and you're stuck.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
5/1/12 9:04 a.m.

One of the reasons I'm considering the Cayenne Turbo is that it'll tow what I need it to, will be a hoot to drive when I'm not towing (which is the vast majority of the time) and they've depreciated like you wouldn't believe.

A Yukon Denali with the same mileage and age is practically the same price as the Cayenne Turbo...

Sounds like I'm on the right track then with the Yukon/Tahoe...

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
5/1/12 9:14 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Quoted for truth. The 5.9 and Hemi Durangos actually get better fuel economy than the 4.7. Guess what I tow with

So true. My commander has the same horrible horrible 4.7, throw in the aerodynamics of a brick and you have a real winner. haha

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/1/12 9:19 a.m.

You say 7000lbs but what will you actually be towing?

7000lbs of bobcat on a equipment trailer tows alot different that 7000lbs of 30' travel trailer or than 7000lbs of chevelle in an enclosed car hauler..

docwyte
docwyte Reader
5/1/12 9:34 a.m.

Going to start with an open trailer with my 944/LS1 on it. Want to have head room under the tow capacity of the vehicle, I don't want to get a truck that can tow 5000 lbs and then tow 5000 lbs with it...

docwyte
docwyte Reader
5/1/12 9:35 a.m.

Oh, a local VW dealer had an '06 Touareg V10 TDI, I made an offer on it and they refused it. They didn't want to negotiate on the price of it at all, so I passed on it.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
5/1/12 9:49 a.m.
docwyte wrote: One of the reasons I'm considering the Cayenne Turbo is that it'll tow what I need it to, will be a hoot to drive when I'm not towing (which is the vast majority of the time) and they've depreciated like you wouldn't believe. A Yukon Denali with the same mileage and age is practically the same price as the Cayenne Turbo... Sounds like I'm on the right track then with the Yukon/Tahoe...

Have the Cayenne turbos really fallen that much in price?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
5/1/12 9:55 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Oh, a local VW dealer had an '06 Touareg V10 TDI, I made an offer on it and they refused it. They didn't want to negotiate on the price of it at all, so I passed on it.

If you were looking at TDi Touregs, what about diesel Grand Cherokees?

docwyte
docwyte Reader
5/1/12 10:24 a.m.

Hard to find, not very nice inside, don't get particularly good gas mileage, don't tow anymore than a V8 GC and cost a premium amount, plus nobody knows how to work on them.

One of guys I race with has one, he likes the drivetrain and says the rest of the truck is a POS.

Yes, you can get a '05-'06 Cayenne Turbo with 50-60k miles on it for around $30k. So they've depreciated around 70%...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SeV9uzl4Pu0bOGRTmDm4BryY7cFycw1iYvAGnw2vwArDls6HJwhQlumFUvNk3wFD