conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
4/27/19 12:37 p.m.

Hi everyone. Need to know if it’s possible to oval a bolt hole in a swaybar bracket and if it’s the best solution to my problem. 

Went to install a 1mm larger rear sway bar and found the bracket is also about 1mm larger, so the bolt holes don’t line up exactly with the subframe pockets. Brackets look like this:

I'm thinking to elongate or slightly enlarge one of the holes on the bracket. Only need 1mm or so. Is that my best option and how can I do it?  Put the bracket in a drill press and drill the entire hole slightly larger?  Try to nibble one end only?  Is there another option, since I don’t own a drill press?  I also thought about compressing the bushing slightly but there isn’t enough room for a c-clamp and it would block access for the bolt anyway. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
4/27/19 6:23 p.m.

You'll be fine. I've elongated both holes in the past.

djsilver
djsilver Reader
4/27/19 6:28 p.m.

I've done it before as well.  For 1mm I would use a round file (rat-tail) or a grinding burr if you have either, but just drilling the hole larger would work as well.  I would also use a flat washer under the bolt head to support and reinforce the tabs.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
4/28/19 9:14 p.m.

Thanks  the suggestions. Found a burr and ovaled the bracket holes slightly. I used the washers as well. Appreciate the suggestions. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/19 9:32 a.m.

yep, 100% OK as there is very little force being transmitted through those brackets.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iSkF0nTjSfWCJsQho9Cx1skRijCYCmqfvJn2S0Qev3aQ6fjofeQ9jGVPMAvXfqg8