1 2
drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/9/15 9:17 a.m.

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/4949387175.html

looks like so much good clean cheap fun and fairly well sorted. It's a good thing it's a 1000 miles away

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/15 9:29 a.m.

Looks like it was built for the East African Safari Classic rally!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/15 9:33 a.m.

So much win. Obligatory Volvo rally car shot.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/15 9:33 a.m.

And another because it came up and was so cool.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
4/9/15 9:37 a.m.

Nice! But it you will need to add one of these.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/9/15 9:46 a.m.

want...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
4/9/15 9:47 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: And another because it came up and was so cool.

Look how thin the tires are!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/9/15 9:49 a.m.

I'm surprised that no one wants to rally that old Volvo, it looks like a good price.

Here's another cool shot.

drummerfromdefleopard
4/9/15 9:53 a.m.

In reply to trucke:

I'd run a better cage then that, but yes, would cage. Then when 2.3L ecoboost mustangs start becoming common at wrecking yards, would swap.

drummerfromdefleopard
4/9/15 9:53 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

because snow tire

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
4/9/15 9:56 a.m.

The want is strong. Glad its not to close.

drummerfromdefleopard
4/9/15 9:58 a.m.

just saw the takata belts, I could put my OMP's in and sell those green ones to a local tuner kid for $4-600. I need to stop trying to figure out space to put this and ways to justify the purchase.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/9/15 10:06 a.m.

Yep. Want that.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/15 11:01 a.m.

Hmmmm.

https://www.norra.com/mexican1000.php

Gary
Gary HalfDork
4/9/15 11:34 a.m.

$3,850? Probably worth that in custom parts alone.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/9/15 11:35 a.m.

That old rally hardware is so freakin' cool.

I can hardly watch newer rally now simply because the cars are so boring to look at. Rwd ftw!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/9/15 11:43 a.m.

Oh man, that's an awesome deal. The only thing I don't like are the center line wheels, but that's easily fixed. Please buy it one of you.

drummerfromdefleopard
4/9/15 11:45 a.m.

I have a connection with Braid. This is quite dangerous as my logbooked DSM just found a new home and my cage builder owes me.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/15 11:50 a.m.

I'm going to copy and paste the details, just for my own future reference...

A vintage Volvo is not an ordinary car, and this is not an ordinary Volvo. It's a boxy coupe, rear-wheel-drive, stick shift. Think b m w2002 or 510, but more. . . Swedish.

Nor is it even an ordinary 142. These were raced in the Baja 1000 back in the 70s, and the driver bought this car with the goal of building a functional, practical homage to his old racecars. Due to health issues he could not complete the project. When I bought it, the interior was in shambles but some work had been done, like a new electrical system and custom centerline wheels. I gutted it, built a simple functional interior and performed some resto-maintenance and performance upgrades to make it safe, fun to drive, and easy on the eyes. It needs some simple maintenance done, nothing big, but it is already a daily driver. The rust will need to be addressed at some point in the next 5-10 years.

Interior picture is before completion, hence the wires spilling out etc. I can take pictures of the completed interior.

-B20 engine (rebuilt around two years ago), Weber carb conversion and IPD "street torque" upgraded cam kit. -IPD cast aluminum valve cover with heat sink -M40 transmission (only two years old/ new old stock) -Rebuilt suspension entirely Jan--March 2014. IPD sway bar, all new ball joints, tie rods, all bushings replaced with polyurethane. -new old stock pitman and idler arms with polyurethane -wheel bearings -Polyurethane intermediate steering kit. . . BIG difference. -Bilstein HDs all around -Sparco reclinable racing seats,Takata belts, and custom brackets. -Momo prototipo steering wheel -4x Hella 500 driving lamps -dual rear battery mount system (super reliable, shifts weight from front to drive wheels). -IPD dash cover -Interior etc - painted white, custom Aluminum dash panel, padded door cards, trunk partition, diamond plate floor pan grip. I'm not proud of my craftsmanship on the door cards and dash panel, but they get the job done and looks good unless you're right up close. -Paint job is less than two years old, white with a navy blue hood, and is of decent quality.

I'm fairly certain that you won't find another Volvo 140 for sale in the SE, let alone a complete one that runs like a top. Obviously this is not an "original" example, so if you're a purist, move along. This car is either for driving as is, or as a solid base for more restoration. I kept the rally vibe but I think it looks clean, and if a little showy, still endearing.

Whether we like it or not, the fenders were cut by the previous owner to fit big tires like the Baja rally cars, so there's that. . . either you learn to like it or there is some body work/ fender flares in order there. I was planning on putting regular tires on to return to stock height when the new coopers went bad but they're still at 80% with a spare in the trunk. I have many spare parts, the hideous front bumper and almost all the interior parts with doubles and triples, save for the door panels. At a glance, it would seem like the utilitarian interior would make this car wildly impractical. This is not the case. It isn't too loud or vibrate-y, and there is a ton of space behind the seats and in the trunk. the odometer stopped at ~120k. I don't know if it has 150k or 250k, or what. But it's a Volvo so it'd be more useful for me to give you the car's astrological sign (Pisces, according to the manufacturing date). I have full 8x10 photographs of the original Baja Rally 142s in action that were given to me by the previous owner. The buyer can receive copies of these.

Come check it out. $3850. I'm down to go over every last detail. NO reasonable offers will be refused.

Will have a rebuilt carburetor and new throttle cable by April 1.

Here's a list of some things that it could use, but aren't needed. I have the parts. driveshaft U-joints. rear springs. Differential support bushings. Brakes need a look.

I have many, many spare 140 series parts that you can keep until needed or sell.

Clean title

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/9/15 12:02 p.m.
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: I have a connection with Braid. This is quite dangerous as my logbooked DSM just found a new home and my cage builder owes me.

Please buy it so I don't... fortunately, it's on the upper edge of the price range that gives me pause.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/9/15 12:05 p.m.

So for under $4k this could be my daily driver????? (Plus more question marks)

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
4/9/15 12:54 p.m.

Yeah. That's cool, and I don't even LIKE Volvos.

drummerfromdefleopard
4/9/15 1:59 p.m.

just learned that 142s also use a Dana 30 in the rear, so R&P as aggressive as 5.38 are readily available as are torsion limited slips. This isn't helping resisting the urge at all.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/9/15 2:05 p.m.

That is very cool.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/9/15 2:11 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
03wu8dLpq4c7OsY1x3W75UaWBKa0iookQ3cUjhVK7YFa5UQCpv3zglzVvFkkMzPC