CarRacer
CarRacer New Reader
3/28/14 6:53 p.m.

I'm doing a motor swap and the shifter housing on the transmission is about 6" short of the tunnel shifter hole. Transmission in question is a world class t5 from a Mustang.

I'm curious what my options are for relocating the shifter on the transmission. A buddy mentioned seeing a plate you bolt onto the top and I found this picture but no more info than that.

Any of you know any other options I should pursue? Thanks for any info.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/28/14 7:19 p.m.

Call mike a Forte's Parts Conection in Framingham Ma. He should know what is out there and be able to sell you what you need if it is made. Tell him Dean Smith sent you.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
3/28/14 9:05 p.m.

Isn't the S10 T5 tailshaft supposed to move the shifter forward 5 or 6 inches? I know it is a hot commodity amongst american car folks because they come close to the stock shifter hole.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
3/28/14 9:07 p.m.

Or are you trying to go the other way?

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
3/28/14 9:12 p.m.
Ditchdigger wrote: Or are you trying to go the other way?

"...housing on the transmission is about 6" SHORT of the tunnel shifter hole..." Other way.

CarRacer
CarRacer New Reader
3/28/14 10:01 p.m.

Correct, other way. Swapping tail shafts came up in my searches but it's not what I'm looking for.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
3/29/14 11:33 a.m.

Do you have room on top the the transmission for one of these style relocators?

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/29/14 11:55 a.m.

05-up v6 stangs.

CarRacer
CarRacer New Reader
3/29/14 5:30 p.m.

I might have room in the tunnel for that relocator assembly. I'm not against beating the tunnel to make room but I'm not also enthused about spending a couple hundred when sawzalling a hole is free.

$100 would be the sweet spot for a solution, am I being realistic in searching for something to fit that budget?

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
3/30/14 12:00 a.m.

It is just a single shaft with a cup. The shaft would need the cup removed, the shaft extended and the cup relocated to the end. An extra support bearing or two would be crucial and a seal would be needed on the shaft.

Not undoable but a fair bit of engineering.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/30/14 12:17 a.m.

EDIT: This is an olllllllllld trick I first saw a few years ago on a pre WW2 hot rod.

CarRacer
CarRacer New Reader
3/30/14 8:38 a.m.

Wow, that is a nicely designed and executed option.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/30/14 8:55 a.m.

Years ago there was a guy/team out of New Zealand called Dietstop Racing that campaigned an R100.

It took me a bit to realize that, no, it is not normal to see a LHD car in those parts.

The car was LHD because the engine was mounted NEXT to the driver, and putting the engine on the right side meant the exhaust was to the outside and not cooking the driver.

Point of rambling - there was a 2-3' long rod that went from the shifter back to the transmission, very similar to Kenny_McCormic's post but welded up from bits of steel. Still looked pretty sweet.

beans
beans Dork
3/30/14 5:18 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: EDIT: This is an olllllllllld trick I first saw a few years ago on a pre WW2 hot rod.

That picture has so much fab/race pr0n in it. HHHHHNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
3/30/14 8:04 p.m.

When I put a T5 in my MN12 Thunderbird I cut the back wall out of the "shift rod box" thing above, and welded another onto it. Then I welded another inside part (with the shifter cup) onto the existing one. The the original shifter bolted right on. I raced the car for a few years and it was working fine when I sold it. All I needed was an extra tail housing from another T5 and some water to extinguish the fires started in my garage by the molten balls of cast aluminum while welding.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2rgvKfHF5nAINKxKodXgETWD1NSSJ7T1Z4g1jLNUwD11se1y3INKUlQljY92SGft