1 2 3
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/13 6:59 a.m.
banzaitoyota wrote: Going there this weekend for the Deals Gap Rotary Rally

Why do they always hold it right after winter? I still have my snow tires on!

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/16/13 7:00 a.m.

There was an S2000 group this weekend, including the one that caught fire I guess.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/16/13 11:44 a.m.

I can't believe you took the scion and not the MR2...

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/16/13 8:02 p.m.

Well, 1/2 the trip was for Boxed in the Smokies:

tedebayer
tedebayer New Reader
4/16/13 8:43 p.m.

Bucket Lists are lists you kick yourself for not doing while you could. Make a commitment... decide to come run the Dragon Hillclimb June 22-23. Being able to run in a STREET PREPPED car on a Novice License... with FREE loaner nomex gear from the "Second Gear Program" ... it can't get any easier! This is a family friendly event with safe viewing areas, BBQ being prepared on site, free admission for spectators.... kids ringing cowbells and seeking autographs. We have a LOT of fun and Graham County loves having hillclimbers in town!

Running the Tail of the Dragon in a street car is dangerous... as you can lose control, people can lose control and run into you and help can be a long time coming. If you are serious about racing, that's not the place you need to be. At the Dragon Hillclimb, it is a CLOSED course with highly trained EMS, wreckers on hand and experienced workers on every turn with communications... you will never leave their line of sight. AND... at the Dragon Hillclimb.. you can cross that center double yellow line anywhere you damn well please. Come get some! Trophies and cash prizes.... 2000+ spectators there to cheer you on!

MORE INFO at www.dragonhillclimb.com Registration is open... if you've got the "sphericals attributes of courage". OR you can be a spectator and watch and wish you had gotten off your butt and made the event a part of your racing history! DO IT! Let me know if I can help...

Ted Theodore
Dragon Hillclimb Mgr. ted@ccrscca.com

Claff
Claff Reader
4/16/13 8:59 p.m.

I've been four or five times, always on a Tuesday or Thursday. I would never go as part of a club or group; parades aren't fun.

The last time we went, my last pass was so epic, so traffic-free, so just perfect that I pulled into the resort with my hands shaking. I told the wife when she finally showed up (she got stuck behind a Toyota Matrix that would not yield) that we had to leave Right Now. If I tried another pass and got similar conditions, I'd either wind up under arrest or deep in the woods. That was two years ago and I've been trying to find an excuse to go back ever since.

One year a buddy took us over the Cherohala and I was underwhelmed in a stockish 99 Miata. M buddy wss apoplectic that I wasn't keeping up with him and seemingly not enjoying myself, but I wasn't willing to push at the speeds he was setting, especially since it was my first time on the road. I'm sure it's nice, but I prefer the tight and tidy Dragon that's fun at 40 MPH.

chief8one
chief8one New Reader
4/16/13 11:27 p.m.

In reply to tedebayer:

How much is it to register?

I really dont want to sign up for an account. I'm just curious.

tedebayer
tedebayer New Reader
4/17/13 6:46 a.m.

$250 for both days... we do allow 2 drivers to run one car. Transponders not required.

There is something very liberating about passing the yellow line at speed on a uphill mountain road... it's the line you can't drive normally... and it faster. LOL Come try it... you'll be glad you did.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/13 6:57 a.m.

What are the classes? Can't find any relevant info at the link.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
4/17/13 7:32 a.m.

it's SCCA TT level 4 ... so it's auto-cross classes, with probably some race class cross over thrown in

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
4/17/13 7:39 a.m.
tedebayer wrote: $250 for both days... we do allow 2 drivers to run one car. Transponders not required. There is something very liberating about passing the yellow line at speed on a uphill mountain road... it's the line you can't drive normally... and it faster. LOL Come try it... you'll be glad you did.

g--d-- it, there's something about that weekend. I have three other things I want to do and so I doubt I'll be able to do this. What an awesome sounding event, though. Man oh man.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/17/13 8:24 a.m.

I've got stuff that weekend both days already, or I'd be tempted to go back again.

tedebayer
tedebayer New Reader
4/17/13 8:27 a.m.

On the Registration Link it reads : "Event Flyer or Entry Form Available here" That is full registration information, classing, Schedule, etc.

GCR CLASSES : FA, FB, FC, FE, FF, ST, FV, FM, F500, F600, ASR, CSR, DSR, S2000, SRF, LC, STU, GT1, GT2, GT3, GTL, AS, EP, FP, HP, T1, T2, T3, T4, ITA, ITB, ITC, ITR, ITS, Spec Miata, SM5 B Spec Regional /TT Classes : Special, VO, VC, CF, SPO, SPU, GTA, IT7, IT7R, ITO, SU and RALLY (must conform to current Rally America rules) SOLO Classes : SSP, ASP, BSP, CSP, DSP, ESP, FSP , DMOD and E MOD

We have everything from George Bowland's carbon fiber winged BBR Shark (9 time A Mod National Champ) to a couple of WICKED EVOs, Locost 7s, a Bugeye, a TR6, many Formula cars, FFR 65 Daytona Coupe, Jensen Healey with a rotary, and a Spitfire with a Alfa engine, 2 240z with V8 conversion ... to an RXAint... a V8 stuffed in an RX7 in a most delightful way. We expect about 80 cars and a crowd of 3000 over the weekend. IF you have never been to a hillclimb, you should. Great atmosphere, food, people, sports cars... but the best seats ALL have a steering wheel in front of them. ;)

tedebayer
tedebayer New Reader
4/17/13 8:33 a.m.

Wanted to be sure that is clear, if you get a $35 TT Novice License from SCCA ( fill out the form, do a SELF Medical, send $35) you can run the Dragon Hillclimb. You will be required to attend a novice school class Friday night, you will go up the hill at slow speed with a mentor Saturday morning... and that mentor will be available to counsel or help in any way. After that... you run the hillclimb and compete. That is not typical of Level 4 events in SCCA... this is a great site for being introduced to hillclimb... plenty of challenge but guardrail and earthen walls almost all the way to the top. No 30 foot drops offs, boulders and trees on edge of road. That said... you will find more helium in your right foot than you think you will. It's fast and the crowd is awesome... especially the kids. Graham County has been wonderful to help make this series happen ... they enjoy having us and we love being with them. Stop thinking of excuses... get off your rear and get it in gear. Plenty of time to build / modify a car for classes... and absolutely worth it! ;) Ted Here's a video one of our guys made last year... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YXbt3_AmJc&feature=player_embedded

Darren Vannoy
Darren Vannoy Marketing Assistant at GRMWHQ
4/17/13 8:48 a.m.

I've been to the Dragon three times so far. It's a great place to visit and enjoy a vacation. Although I prefer the less crowded Skyway and other local roads, the Dragon is a blast, especially if you can get lucky enough to get a clean run and drive at your own pace. It's not a track but if the road is treated with respect its a great drive. I'm thinking of heading back this summer with my bike and car. Get to experience it on both. I haven't had my bike up there yet...

Darren Vannoy
Darren Vannoy Marketing Assistant at GRMWHQ
4/17/13 8:54 a.m.

Oh, and btw the SCCA hill climb does not take place on the actual dragon, it is on a different road in the area.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
4/17/13 1:34 p.m.

The hill climb is actually located off the Cherahala Skyway on the NC side inside the Joyce Kilmer Forest area. Be glad the trees are off the pavement because those are real never-been-harvested trees nearby. Maybe not as big as a Sequoyah but impressive sizes.

chief8one
chief8one New Reader
4/17/13 10:30 p.m.

Depending where I am in the country, I might actually do this. Jurst reading about it gets me pumped.

EDIT: I saw in your other post that a rollbar is required... not sure if that is in the mix anytime soon.

94 ES miata

tedebayer
tedebayer New Reader
4/18/13 6:32 a.m.

Correct ..for a street prepared class... a legal roll bar, a seat belt harness and a fire extinguisher. IF yu replace OEM seat it either needs to be FIA certified OR have a back brace connected to roll bar.

Craig Farr wrote a great article on taking a solo car and preparing it for Time Trial / Hillclimb. http://www.sedivtt.com/2012/01/how-to-ready-your-solo-car-for-time-trial/

It is a great event and something you will enjoy. Hope to see you there! If you need loaner nomex gear, let me know... I have about 12 complete suits to loan for free... all you need is a helmet. THANKS!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q5DFJqftYzV7e0irwNcMxgxPqtZvwPh2i33DcxXjqJerGauiCCPURgnpWixmaoGR