1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/22/13 8:43 a.m.

There's an '03 MR2 on a local lot I can pick up at a price that I'm willing to pay. I'd use this as a DD to replace my '96 Bronco. Anything I might really kick myself for if I make the swap?

MR2 is a proper 3-pedal car with 175k on it. (Bronco's a 5.0/auto) Took it for a test drive yesterday and the only thing that jumped out at me is that it seemed like it took an abnormally long time to kick down from high idle; it was idling at 1500 rpm, after about two miles I came to a stop sign and it was down to what seemed normal to me (~700 rpm).

Obviously space is a huge issue in these cars. We do have a Mazda5, however, so I figure if I do need to carry anything I can use that.

What's the consensus on how these handle highway trips (~2 hours @ 75-80mph)?

What's the hot-ticket AX setup for these? Any recommended vendors for parts? Any to stay the hell away from?

Are they as bad to work on as it looks?

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/22/13 8:54 a.m.

I have had one for a couple of years and will do my best to answer.

I don't think there are any common issues that would cause high idle. However, have them pull both the O2 sensors on the exhaust manifold to see if the precats have been cleaned out. If they are both gone, your good. If one is gone, RUN. If they are both there, take the car home, pull manifold and remove precats. They have a tendency to break apart and get sucked back into the head.

I commuted in this car for about half a year. It was fine when it was just me. With a passenger, however, they sometimes ended up holding anything extra I had with me. Also, the storage cubby behind the seats WILL NOT accept a helmet so if you want to auto-x and take a friend, they are holding your helmet.

The car likes higher speeds fine but at 80 you are looking at 4K rpms and some noise. By 03 this might have changed but the early cars were not available with cruise. Mine has an aftermarket kit that is just OK but it is handy when it actually works.

No idea on parts. Check spyderchat.com. Lots of idiots but not terrible overall.

I think the engine bay is MUCH more intimidating to look at than actually work on. I have done drive belts, water pump, 02 sensors, and other little stuff with no real issues. If you know anyone with a lift, you are golden.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/22/13 9:03 a.m.

Problems: Cramped engine bay, lubrication problems in hard corners, looks like Malibu Barbie should be driving it.

The last two can be solved with aftermarket oil pans and body kits.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/22/13 9:12 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: However, have them pull both the O2 sensors on the exhaust manifold to see if the precats have been cleaned out. If they are both gone, your good. If one is gone, RUN. If they are both there, take the car home, pull manifold and remove precats. They have a tendency to break apart and get sucked back into the head.

Yeah, I was reading about the precat issue last night. Unfortunately being in CA, I'm not sure what legal options I have for removing those. The good news is that a few different places said that it wasn't actually all that common in the first place, and it was less common on the '03 and up.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/22/13 9:19 a.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

I figured that it was less common on the newer revision. Will they pull your 02 sensors to check the cats? If not, I don't think that it is worth the risk. Even if 5% fail, I think that gutting them is cheap insurance.

Gameboy: Have you worked on any? The engine bay isn't bad. Also, Malibu barbie? Really?

I had forgotten about the oiling issues. If you keep the oil toped up/ slightly over, there shouldn't be any issues. Moroso, I think, makes a baffled pan for something like $500. ouch.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
2/22/13 9:19 a.m.

I don't have any useful information to add to the comments already, except to say this is not the forum to have you talked OUT of anything! Well, except for maybe a TT.

I've been a many time MR2 owner of all flavors, and although I'm probably gonna take some heat for this, the MR-S is the best driver of the bunch. Looks are an aquired taste, but the driving is spot on.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/22/13 12:05 p.m.

So, a little bit more research shows that Magnaflow as of fairly recently got a header/pre-cat and catted down-pipe CARB-approved. Which is astounding to me as the cat requirements here are crazy-stringent.

I wonder if an aftermarket pre-cat setup like that would negate the possibility of having the precat stuff get sucked into the motor?

Type Q
Type Q Dork
2/22/13 2:07 p.m.

Talk you down?
The best I discouragement I can think of is, "Don't do it. People you don't know that hate cars might think less of you."

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
2/22/13 2:35 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: I don't have any useful information to add to the comments already, except to say this is not the forum to have you talked OUT of anything! Well, except for maybe a TT.

Wait a minute! What's wrong with a TT??!!

okay, just kidding. But as for the MR-s, I have nothing to add, except I've almost traded my Mustang for a pristine example a couple times...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/22/13 2:36 p.m.

MR-S is on my bucket list, and the car i wanted instead of my MSM.

Do it so i can live vicariously through you.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/22/13 2:46 p.m.

I'm gonna talk to them again this afternoon. I'll see if they're willing to pull the o2 sensors so I can take a look at the precats (it's a used car stealership, but it's one I've dealt with before).

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/22/13 3:12 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

You shouldn't get heat from anyone that has driven all three in anger (like me). The MRS is the best of the three hands down. I am sure the turbo second gen is faster, but I thought my second gen was way too heavy. It felt like a bus vs. my 3rd gen. I haven't driven a first gen since high school but it felt better than my second gen. However, that one was on poly bushings with new suspension andmy second gen was stock and tired

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
2/22/13 3:22 p.m.

You have so much to live for, just climb back in the window. Not that kind of talk you down? You won't find another sort here.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
2/22/13 3:35 p.m.

Agreed with singleslammer on the generational comparison. I still like all three for different reasons though. There's not really an overall loser among them - they're just suited to different tasks and budgets.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/22/13 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Matt B:

Good way to put it. The 3 is the best drivers car. The 2 is much more muscle, but handles well still. The 1isone of the best cars for cheap thrills.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
2/22/13 4:42 p.m.

There's one local to me for about 8 grand... I want it bad...

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/22/13 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

What year and miles? That seems a bit overpriced for an early one with normal miles (over 120k)

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
2/22/13 5:00 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Maroon92: What year and miles? That seems a bit overpriced for an early one with normal miles (over 120k)

60K miles. I think it's an 04.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/22/13 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

Ok, that seems like a steal. I bet it has a salvage title for that much at a stealership. If not, snatched it up!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/23/13 10:46 a.m.

So, test driving this one, I couldn't replicate it but a couple times pulling in 2nd gear it shuddered really bad. Are these known for nasty wheel hop?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/23/13 11:27 a.m.

With worn mounts absolutely.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
2/23/13 1:15 p.m.

how about a Miata instead?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/23/13 4:31 p.m.

Alright, well, you all failed at your mission. I just put it in my driveway

It even has branny-new Direzzas on it. (thought I don't think they're star specs).

Now I just have to figure out what I'm gonna do with the Mustang...

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
2/23/13 4:43 p.m.

This never happened until we see pictures

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/23/13 5:04 p.m.

Took a few cellphone pics, hotlinked for your pleasure:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tvYt6Cf75f8jRPsjCI5i3yPSGeBgLZGTOhjCF7T020Lk3kbDBxmOCVuQrSrpTglu