1 2
TGMF
TGMF New Reader
1/8/15 11:04 a.m.

from what I've read, it sounds like replacing the high pressure fuel pump internals is needed before doing much more than a intake. Apparently they are more or less maxed out as far as keeping up with fuel demand, and once you start cranking up the boost cant keep up. Kits to build the internals are less than 400 bucks though, so it isn't a major road block.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
1/8/15 11:13 a.m.

Interesting. I have never owned a car with direct injection before so I hadn't thought of that. More used to the "throw a $100 whinebro 255 in and away we go" tuning.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/8/15 11:23 a.m.

In reply to fornetti14:

And you sir have the only color these should have been made in.....DCM FOREVER!!!!!!

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/15 11:35 a.m.

BCM - Black Cherry Mica!
When I first went to look at the car I pulled into a parking lot, instantly saw the car from 50 yards away, then proceeded to call my wife and tell her that I was indeed going to buy it.

More info & stuff I've upgraded/replaced along the way (not that I had to, I just can't leave anything alone):
HPFP internals $350
Stainless downpipe $300
SS brake lines $100
Cobb v3 AP $650
Corksport BOV $150 All motor mounts $200
Rear diff mount $250
Both front wheel bearings $300
Eibach/Bistein $600
Turbo inlet pipe & Cobb 3" intake $150
Balance shaft delete & windage tray install (do NOT do this, it was too harsh but its too late for me now). The balance shaft delete allows me to run almost 8 quarts of oil in the stock pan.

I still plan a better top mount intercooler ($300-400) but its really not that important to me right now. I may just wait until I get an e-tuner involved and possibly upgrade the OEM K04 turbo. I plan to run with Justin from Freaktune.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/8/15 12:08 p.m.

Jesus tap dancing Christ. Not this again.

These engines are berkeleying strong. The people that mess with them are idiots. Several reputable tuners in Texas doesn't mean E36 M3. Hennessey is considered a reputable tuner, and he's in Texas. The reason so many people have had so many problem is.... People are stupid. There's two fuel pumps. The cdfp isn't designed to make huge power. People like to strap boost controllers to em and turn em up to 20psi and then they go pop because of fuel starvation. There was the vvt tsb, and there is the turbo seals. That's it. If anyone else broke one, its their own goddamn fault. The one in my garage with 86k trouble free yet extremely hard miles says so.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
1/8/15 12:53 p.m.
fornetti14 wrote: My best personal mileage was a 3 tank road trip, all highway running 72-73 mpg. 26.5 mpg I'm usually on boost most of the time because what the hell, its there and I like to hear the kids squeal and laugh from the back seat. They refer to it as the racecar and they always ask to "make it go fast". 21-22 in mixed driving.

I get 22-25mpg in my wagon mixed driving and I only have 220hp with FWD :(

mndsm wrote: Jesus tap dancing Christ. Not this again. These engines are berkeleying strong. The people that mess with them are idiots. Several reputable tuners in Texas doesn't mean E36 M3. Hennessey is considered a reputable tuner, and he's in Texas. The reason so many people have had so many problem is.... People are stupid. There's two fuel pumps. The cdfp isn't designed to make huge power. People like to strap boost controllers to em and turn em up to 20psi and then they go pop because of fuel starvation. There was the vvt tsb, and there is the turbo seals. That's it. If anyone else broke one, its their own goddamn fault. The one in my garage with 86k trouble free yet extremely hard miles says so.

QFT x 100

I belong on a few facebook groups that are mazda/mazda parts and the stereotypical owner (read tuner) of a MS3 or Ms6 are just plain dumb.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/15 9:26 p.m.
Wizard_Of_Maz wrote: In reply to SlickDizzy: The PCV issues were resolved in the 2006-2008 cars

Pre-cat disintegration =/= positive crankcase ventilation

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/8/15 9:43 p.m.
TGMF wrote: from what I've read, it sounds like replacing the high pressure fuel pump internals is needed before doing much more than a intake. Apparently they are more or less maxed out as far as keeping up with fuel demand, and once you start cranking up the boost cant keep up. Kits to build the internals are less than 400 bucks though, so it isn't a major road block.

This. This right berkeleying here. This for the love of god. The problem with direct injection is that the car is running nearly diesel fuel pressures. Your average walboro can't do that. So he gets his friend the CDFP to help a brotha out and distribute fuel up top. The problem lies in the fact that the CDFP is one of the weaker points of the fuel system of these cars. There's ones out there making positively STUPID power on nearly stock fuel systems, with a quality CDFP. What happens is they take their Cobble, strap it up and go "herp a derp wanna go fast and make ladies panties wet" so they push the 20psi button. And it's a whole lot of fun, till the CDFP internals start to fail. Then, they say LOLNOPE, drop your fuel pressure to around 0, car goes lean, and you start fragging cylinders. If you're NOT stupid, you can actually make more power on stock fuel. I'm making rougly 30whp more (dyno verified on the same dyno over dozens of passes during development) on 3 LESS psi, stock K04, stock tune, stock fuel. There's a lot of really fun choke points in these cars- but once you ferret them out, they're positively scary. Mazda knows how to make power in the dumbest ways possible....just look at the F2t.

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz New Reader
1/9/15 12:55 a.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

Sorry, meant to say that different headers in the 06 and up cars alieviated the original pre-cat issue. Anyway, I would much rather have a Speed6 than an LGT of the time

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/9/15 4:37 p.m.

I'm curious how much you think a GTO is worth or if you are secretly getting this MS6 for free to come up with your 10k+ number.

Also, if you end up missing torque it will not take much to fix it. The ms6 is probably a flash tune away from having a better torque/weight ratio than even an ls2 GTO.

I think if you have a GTO made of gold and are getting a cheap MS6 in good condition then this sounds like a perfectly decent idea.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
1/9/15 6:33 p.m.

No but I have a really nice garage-kept LS2/T56 with only 37k original miles, never raced/abused, no split seams, only a few tasteful mods to fix known weaknesses and no issues of any kind that will be worth more in the spring when I do try to sell it (it does appear to be blue booking at 3-4k less right now than during the warm months). That and the MS6 I was looking at was priced well below market. This all may be a moot point now because the seller has gone radio silent for the last two days after I said I would show up with cash in hand ::shrug:: Love that CL.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/10/15 7:27 a.m.
iadr wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: That's.... weird. The MS3 and MS6 are a far cry from the old Mazdaspeed Proteges. In fact, i'd go so far to say that the Mazdaspeed Protege is the only turbo piston car that Mazda made that was junk. MS6s around here don't last a week on the lot before they're snatched up. Extremely robust cars.
Actually one of the techs had a Mazdaspeed Protege, and has close to 200K miles on it. And prior to that, working for a Mercedes Benz dealer, one of our techs had a collector quality one that he was very proud of. Strange/weird parallel&unequal universe, indeed.

The msp is a super sweet car, they're just extremely fragile drive line wise. G-series trans plus callaway turbo setup on that motor isn't the best combo. Frickin brilliant chassis though. If it had been a bp-t and an h trans..... Zomg.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/10/15 10:00 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Jesus tap dancing Christ. Not this again. These engines are berkeleying strong. The people that mess with them are idiots. Several reputable tuners in Texas doesn't mean E36 M3. Hennessey is considered a reputable tuner, and he's in Texas. The reason so many people have had so many problem is.... People are stupid. There's two fuel pumps. The cdfp isn't designed to make huge power. People like to strap boost controllers to em and turn em up to 20psi and then they go pop because of fuel starvation. There was the vvt tsb, and there is the turbo seals. That's it. If anyone else broke one, its their own goddamn fault. The one in my garage with 86k trouble free yet extremely hard miles says so.

I find that most cars with "bad" reputations have bad reliability reputations because of E36 M3ty budget modders. I never heard anything bad about MS6s either.

I remember there was a lot of talk like this for Starions back in the day when unmodded, or lightly modded, nobody I knew had problem with them. Same with WRX and their "glass" transmissions.

Best thing about MS6 is they are frequently sold on the cheap and unmodded, at least around me. $7k - $8k cars always on sale here.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
APr3ytv81oWOpdZAyOLLD7MtwgjQFaU36G67i577sDJKG2CtMg14lL4147TvThvn