1 2 3 4
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/30/15 10:48 p.m.

Deals are out there you just have to keep looking and be ready to jump on a moments notice. I was offered 20k for mine a month later but my wife loves it. It is her dream car. She has wanted one for years so I declined.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/30/15 11:12 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

I think it's time for your meds.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/30/15 11:34 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Deals are out there you just have to keep looking and be ready to jump on a moments notice. I was offered 20k for mine a month later but my wife loves it. It is her dream car. She has wanted one for years so I declined.

This. Its just like the magical 4k v10 excursions. I just need to know how big a pile of money I need.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/31/15 7:38 a.m.

I hate them. They were part of the bastardization of the Hummer name that should only be worn by, what GM called the H1. They look silly stock, stupid with the bro wheels, and hilariously bad when lifted. The few times I've seen them off road they typically broke a ball joint or a tie rod. Get a Jeep.

carbon
carbon Dork
1/31/15 8:31 a.m.

Why not get a surplus h1? It'll hold its resale way better, and you won't look like a poser.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/31/15 8:51 a.m.
carbon wrote: Why not get a surplus h1? It'll hold its resale way better, and you won't look like a poser.

Terribly underpowered, interiors that make Gitmo look like the Hilton, and I can still get an H2 cheaper. I had thought about it though.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/31/15 9:00 a.m.

What about the H3? They look much better IMO, they have actually have been proven to be capable off road, more so than the H2.

You could actually find a good H3 under $20k.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
1/31/15 9:01 a.m.

Appreciate your fearless approach here. For the right price I could see it making sense. What is the interior space and daily driveability like in comparison to the Tahoe?

I'm hunting a late 08-10 Tahoe with low miles which has been tougher than planned. I love that they seem to hold their value well after the initial drop from 55k-25k in those first years. Wifee has wanted one for a while and it will be the family mobile. If she's happy and I get a 4X4 that can tow toys home everybody wins.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/31/15 9:13 a.m.

Aw hell, If you have the money and you like it, buy one! We work hard for our money and ya can't take it with you.

Isn't that what life is all about?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/31/15 9:16 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: What about the H3? They look much better IMO, they have actually have been proven to be capable off road, more so than the H2. You could actually find a good H3 under $20k.

Not big and scary enough. If I move down to that size class, I'm going Saablazer 9-7SS.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/31/15 9:32 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: What about the H3? They look much better IMO, they have actually have been proven to be capable off road, more so than the H2. You could actually find a good H3 under $20k.
Not big and scary enough. If I move down to that size class, I'm going Saablazer 9-7SS.

Ahh ok. Well hopefully you find a good one.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
1/31/15 9:34 a.m.

I say go for it. I prefer the H3T for similar reasons, but either way I hear what you're saying.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/31/15 9:36 a.m.

Now you have me looking at H2 and H3 for sale. Can't afford one but I can look. I have known a few people with them and they seemed to like them. I never heard any complaints about how it towed either.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/31/15 9:40 a.m.

If people see you riding around in a H2 with offroad tires. They're gonna think you're a cast member on duck dynasty.

You should so buy one.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/15 9:41 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: so.. it got 8 lug hubs for looks.. but it made it more capable.. I love it

what don't you understand about "better rear axle" - 14 bolt versus the 1/2 ton's 10 bolt.

beefier, stronger parts, bigger ring gear and bearings = more capable of doing heavy crap without breaking.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
1/31/15 9:48 a.m.

Those of you thinking that the H2 is just a Tahoe with a different body really don't know what you are looking at. The chassis is basically the center section of the 2500 series GMT800 trucks with completely new front and rear thirds, for shorter overhangs. It runs on a mix of 2500 HD offroad suspension and axles and unique to the H2 shocks and springs and some other parts for greater travel and use in soft materials like sand. The chassis has outriggers and all the components are mounted above the bottom of the frame rails, instead of hanging down like they do in the Tahoe/Sububan/pickup. This is to keep things from hanging up when going over rocks and the like. There ARE no "equivalent" Tahoes (they didn't make them in 2500 series at all to begin with).

Just because most of them were blinged out to use as mall crawlers and rap star rides doesn't change the fact that they were built with serious parts. And no, the do not blow out tie rods and the like any more often than any other offroader.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/31/15 6:48 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: If people see you riding around in a H2 with offroad tires. They're gonna think you're a cast member on duck dynasty. You should so buy one.

They already think I am... I could probably get chicks to flash me if I did it... especially if it was all muddy. I like this plan even more now!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/31/15 6:50 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: Those of you thinking that the H2 is just a Tahoe with a different body really don't know what you are looking at. The chassis is basically the center section of the 2500 series GMT800 trucks with completely new front and rear thirds, for shorter overhangs. It runs on a mix of 2500 HD offroad suspension and axles and unique to the H2 shocks and springs and some other parts for greater travel and use in soft materials like sand. The chassis has outriggers and all the components are mounted above the bottom of the frame rails, instead of hanging down like they do in the Tahoe/Sububan/pickup. This is to keep things from hanging up when going over rocks and the like. There ARE no "equivalent" Tahoes (they didn't make them in 2500 series at all to begin with). Just because most of them were blinged out to use as mall crawlers and rap star rides doesn't change the fact that they were built with serious parts. And no, the do not blow out tie rods and the like any more often than any other offroader.

This. This right here is my plan. I would NEVER wash it. And I would park it next to the shiniest crap I could find. And probably run a skull and crossbones flag.

esprits4s
esprits4s New Reader
1/31/15 9:08 p.m.

A lot of uneducated opinions being shared here....

The "it's just a Tahoe" claim has already been addressed. The H2 is not a poser. I've owned both an H2 and an H1. The H2 was far more comfortable and easier to live with day to day. Yes, the H1 had more off road capability in stock form, but the H2 was better than most available SUVs and could be upgraded along with the rest. As for the H3, they are very capable, but aren't nearly as nice inside.

I also don't agree that they are cheaper than their GM cousins. I'm in the market for a second H2, and find that they generally run more expensive than an equivalent Tahoe (especially 2008 and 2009s).

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/31/15 9:27 p.m.

They come with a locker too dont they or was that just the H3s?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/31/15 9:42 p.m.

I saw a lifted desert tan FJ Cruiser today.

It has nothing to do with this thread but i figured that i should post it in here, and i anxiously await you posting awesome lifted Cruisers.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/31/15 11:05 p.m.

Well the last time I seriously shopped for a truck (a murano some years back) I bought a mini cooper instead. So who knows. This could easily turn into "lookit the box of Suzuki carrys ive got tagged as pintos" or something equally random.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/15 11:05 p.m.

Saw once of these on the interstate today. I've gotta admit it's pretty good looking.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/31/15 11:14 p.m.

Yeah I like the trucklet ones, but they're awful expensive in relative comparison. Guess we'll have to see what happens. Seems to me that other than being giant, ugly, terrible on gas, hated by everyone, and pretty berkeleying hard to park, the people that use them as god and hummer intended quite like them. Now to find one in a stupid color.....

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/1/15 9:34 p.m.

Here's the problem. I was at a gas station once filling up my turbo brick. Dude pulls up behind me with an H2. It was painted a bright, look at me I'm a douche bag blue. Strike one. The guy had his windows open and was blaring obnoxious music for everyone to hear. Strike two. He gets out, wearing his hat backward of course. Strike three. I think he could tell what I thought of him by the look of disgust on my face. He actually said, "not a fan, huh?" I just laughed at him. My point is they're great vehicles with bad reputations. But I wouldn't let the posers out there scare you away.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7hRZ2quOWTyNlgd9JiiB21mPFyVGFEj53s6ZaCXHglKUleZrznIdktTjeHUgIL6o