1 2 3 4
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/2/15 12:03 a.m.

^that rep is what I'm counting on to get one cheap. I could give a E36 M3 about rep. I dd a corolla wagon with a car seat in it for my kid worth more than the car. Rep is nothing. To hoon supremely, is divine.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/2/15 12:39 a.m.

Yes push button lockers.

put in low an lock everything up and it will clime over most everything.

The interior is top of the line GM mid 2000s. I like it, very comfortable. It towed very well. I have pulled 4000 lbs with it and had zero issues.

The one problem that they have is with the gauges. There is a documented failure with the oil pressure gauge thay is a bit annoying.

Very comfortable people haller but for there size they have very little cargo room especially if you have the interior mounted spare. We are talking 4-5 bags if groceries max.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/2/15 1:50 a.m.
mndsm wrote: ^that rep is what I'm counting on to get one cheap. I could give a E36 M3 about rep. I dd a corolla wagon with a car seat in it for my kid worth more than the car. Rep is nothing. To hoon supremely, is divine.

I hear ya but I think that rep actually drives the price up

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
2/2/15 1:30 p.m.

I like the H3Ts as well.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/ctd/4859820436.html

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/15 1:33 p.m.

i severely hated driving an H3. maybe if it had a v8 i would have liked it better, but it was so tiny inside. i felt like my head was going to pop out the roof.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/15 9:27 p.m.

I feel the H2 was a good truck. 3/4 ton parts, good design and very capable. Sadly the vast number of people who bought them used them like mini-vans and gave them a horrible rep as a douche-mobile.

Use it like the truck it was intended to be.

dean1484
2/2/15 10:05 p.m.

we were at the local ice cream place and a H3 came in and parked next to my H2. I got a good look at it and the interior was really cheap compared to the H2. Other than that it looked like a capable vehicle.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/3/15 7:25 a.m.

Great. I'm looking at H2 listings now. I still think most of them are expensive for what they are. Low gas prices are partially to blame, I'm sure, but I've seen them top $55k. Cheapest I've seen was a very well used truck with some seemingly minor problems for $9000. That's within reach of my desired condition to price ratios.

dean1484
2/3/15 10:56 a.m.

I got mine for 10k. It needed an 02 sensor, the impact sensors in the front, and a thermostat. I replaced the thermostat with the 02 as there is a coloration between how the engine heats up and how fast the O2 sensors heat up and you have to keep them synked or they will toss a code. Thus I just replaced both. The back bumper was pretty rusted so I replaced it. One of the plastic end pieces on the front bumper was broken so I fixed it and re installed it. I then went under it and painted everything under it with rust converting paint and then undercoated over all of that. Other than that I gave it a complete service of all the fluids a good wash and wax. So in the end I was in it for close to 11-12K plus a weekend or two of my time. On of the biggest selling points to my H2 was that the interior was absolute perfect. IT was adult owned with out young kids. so the back seats were virchally never used. The exterior was rust free but there are some minor surface scratches that I will take care of this spring. Most can be buffed out there are a couple that will need a dab of paint. Here is a photo of it before I replaced the step bars. I don't remember if that is the old bumper or the new one. The rust actually was no visible it was all under the plastic trim pieces below the rear door.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
2/3/15 11:16 a.m.

I don't like them, mainly because they are "meh" at towing. Rather have a tahoe or burban at that point. Or if you have girly tires like dean does, might as well get a cadi-lick

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/3/15 11:42 a.m.

If you want an SUV for cheap, I guess go for it. They are a mix of 3/4 and 1/2 ton bits with wavy, floppy body panels and weigh more than a freighter. Front suspension bits are a frequent replacement area.

I'm sorry to disagree with the non-tahoe folks. From a parts-book standpoint, its a Tahoe/Burb. Period. You can talk about push-button lockers all you want, but its a textbook light-duty truck that is carrying close to its GVWR all the time.

dean1484
2/3/15 12:00 p.m.

Ahaaa yes I have OE tires on this thing but next to the tires on regular trucks they are huge. I was amazed how much bigger they are compared to the ones on my expedition. The truck does not need any more tire and it definitely does not need to be any taller.

Ohya and I pulled a Honda out of a snow bank today. I carry a 20K nylon tow strap in all my trucks. The H2 pulled it out like it was not even there.

And for all those that say "I would rather this or that" We all know that you secretly really want one of these. Most people will not admit it. Is it as practical as my expedition? Hell no!!!! But there are those days I like to say F-it to all the hybrid drivers and watching them get sick to there stomach when I drive by. The nauseating look on there faces is priceless. It is fun to see just how opinionated people can be towards these things. Helping them ruin there own day is so much fun. I mean I don't mind that they drive a hybrid. In fact I encourage it. That means more fuel for me. There is a very small segment of hybrid drivers that think that they have a duty to drive the most bland car possible and they are miserable doing it but justify there misery by there conviction that they are saving the planet and this makes them happy and they think they are heros that the rest of the world should bow down to and worship the pavement they drive on. These are the ones that seem to get completely pissed off when a H2 goes by. I usually will run in to then at a 4 way stop. I get there first and stop and thus have right of way but god forbid they have to stop as it will cost them a teaspoon of fuel. I just laugh at these people.

The really funny thing is I am actually considering getting a Volt as my commuter in and out of Boston each day. I think having an H2 and a Volt in the same driveway (both in black) would kind of cool. I would annoy and please everyone. LOL

The reality of it is my H2 is a toy that my wife wanted. It will see less then 3,000 miles a year usage. Its duties are to go and get the kids at school and bring them home. And be able to do it no matter what the weather. I think secretly my wife wanted it for the parking lot battles that occur at the schools. I have been over there and they are completely nuts. They cut each other off and play games of chicken when trying to get a parking space. You really don't get that when you are in a hummer. It is like the lumbering giant that everyone just kind of lets go where it wants to. I must admit I do like that. It removes all the drama. And then when I am actually nice to people and let them go or give them the right of way they get completely confused. I don't think they are use to nice H2 drivers. LOL

dean1484
2/3/15 12:09 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: If you want an SUV for cheap, I guess go for it. They are a mix of 3/4 and 1/2 ton bits with wavy, floppy body panels and weigh more than a freighter. Front suspension bits are a frequent replacement area. I'm sorry to disagree with the non-tahoe folks. From a parts-book standpoint, its a Tahoe/Burb. Period. You can talk about push-button lockers all you want, but its a textbook light-duty truck that is carrying close to its GVWR all the time.

Then obviously an H2 is not for you. It is not a truck meant to hall anything but people. If it was a pickup or flat bed then I would agree with you but what does it matter where its GVW is? You can only put 5 passengers in it and carry 4 grocery bags anyway so your statement is irrelevant. DONT GET AN H2 if you want a pickup or suburban. A H2 is a heavy duty people mover. Statements like you made are just ridiculous. It is like saying don't get a Subaru wagon because its tow rating will not let you hall your race car to the track with it and there for all Subies suck. This is the kind of crap that H2s seem to bring out in people. I just don't get it. People are always looking for things to bash about H2's.

These are the people I have learned to laugh at.

dean1484
2/3/15 12:12 p.m.

WTF.. . .. Floppy body panels? Really?????? What are you talking about?

You see guys be prepared for this kind of crap. People will find the stupidest reasons to bash these.

curtis73
2/3/15 6:11 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Then obviously an H2 is not for you. It is not a truck meant to hall anything but people. If it was a pickup or flat bed then I would agree with you but what does it matter where its GVW is?

My point is that they took a 1/2 ton chassis, bloated it to past its original GVWR, then artificially raised the GVWR so you could haul more than two people and a suitcase.

They didn't re-engineer a truck to handle the weight, they bloated a tahoe and raised the GVWR.

Feel free to defend your choice all you want. This forum is about counterpoint and discussion, but you your blind faith about a vehicle doesn't help. The point is to discuss its merits and shortcomings. Fanatics don't make objective partners in an anonymous forum.

curtis73
2/3/15 6:19 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: WTF.. . .. Floppy body panels? Really?????? What are you talking about? You see guys be prepared for this kind of crap. People will find the stupidest reasons to bash these.

Yes. Floppy body panels. It happens when you have large, flat sections of sheet metal. Especially when GM spec'd thinner sheet metal to help save weight. Without a curvature or crease in the metal, its floppy. Its just a known fact.

Watch one drive down the road. The wind shakes those door panels like a piece of paper. Even just idling, watch the reflection in the paint. You just don't notice it because you're in the driver's seat.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
2/3/15 6:21 p.m.

I consider it the ultimate "hey guys look at me" truck thingy. I commonly refer to them as small penis trucks when I have to service them but im a biased observer. just about everyone who owns one seems to be a giant tool who thinks there on top of the world. I also make fun of brodozers and people who lift 4wd trucks and use them as minivans.

dean1484
2/3/15 6:22 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Then obviously an H2 is not for you. It is not a truck meant to hall anything but people. If it was a pickup or flat bed then I would agree with you but what does it matter where its GVW is?
My point is that they took a 1/2 ton chassis, bloated it to past its original GVWR, then artificially raised the GVWR so you could *haul* more than two people and a suitcase. They didn't re-engineer a truck to handle the weight, they bloated a tahoe and raised the GVWR. Feel free to defend your choice all you want. This forum is about counterpoint and discussion, but you your blind faith about a vehicle doesn't help. The point is to discuss its merits and shortcomings. Fanatics don't make objective partners in an anonymous forum.

Are there federal regs that would prevent that? That would actually be dangerous yes? Then again this was the GM that covered up the ignition key problem.

I really want proof of that. Where are you getting that information from.

Back on topic I don't mind criticism but make it legitimate. Floppy body panels? I still want an explanation on that one. If you meant wavy then yes they are There is no way around it unless you use alucobond panels but that would be weird.

The H2 is not for everyone but I get really tired when people start making stuff up or complain about things when really they dislike what they perceive a H2 stands for.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
2/3/15 6:30 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: My point is that they took a 1/2 ton chassis, bloated it to past its original GVWR, then artificially raised the GVWR so you could *haul* more than two people and a suitcase. They didn't re-engineer a truck to handle the weight, they bloated a tahoe and raised the GVWR.

The chassis is a 2500 series center section (not a goddamn half ton) with completely new HD front and rear thirds. It's got the components moved to above the bottom of the frame so it won't drag offroad, as well as having heavier duty parts like outriggers built in. The suspension is 2500 series 4x4 and some unique parts, (not half ton parts).

I really thought you were more knowledgeable about vehicles, Curtis, but it appears you're really not.

curtis73
2/3/15 6:48 p.m.

tie rods, ball joints, bushings, and several other suspension parts are 1/2 ton. Look it up. The truck is only as strong as its weakest link. When you are dealing with tires that size, it is a genuine concern.

Are there federal regs that would prevent that? That would actually be dangerous yes?

There are not federal regs for it specifically. It is entirely based on the manufacturer's design and (more importantly) target market. Same goes for tow ratings. Arbitrary. Take for instance the light-duty 3/4 ton trucks GM put out in the late 80s. (the first of the new designs). It was a 3/4 ton truck, but if you had a full tank of gas, two people, and a couple suitcases, you were at GVW. Step up to the HD 3/4 ton with no appreciable differences and you're now allowed to haul more payload. Cut forward a decade and GM started making HD1500s with 8-lug axles (instead of the 6-lug like before). The HD1500 is twice the truck compared to the LD2500, but its GVW is lower.

The GVWR number is just that. Its a number on a sticker. It is why all the major pickup manufacturers have GVWRs that are exactly equal to the DOT cutoffs for weight classes. A 2014 F150 truck with its stiff frame, huge disc/disc, and slightly softer springs has the same GVWR as a 1988 Chevy 1500 with its weaker frame and stiffer springs with small disc/drum. Then compound that with the fact that most states let you choose your own weight class. Here in PA, I bought an El Camino with a class 2 weight sticker on it.

The federal government (in the form of NHTSA) would step in if there were investigations about a certain truck causing deaths. If they then discovered it was because the 1/2 ton tie rod ends on an H2 were the problem, action would be taken.

curtis73
2/3/15 6:50 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: I really thought you were more knowledgeable about vehicles, Curtis, but it appears you're really not.

Maybe I'm not. I just used to work for GM. I could put you in touch with the executive designer for GM trucks. We still meet every year at the SEMA show. If you don't like my answer, perhaps you would believe his.

dean1484
2/3/15 6:52 p.m.

Are the ball joints and tie rods what determine the rating of a truck? Are they the same parts used on there 1 ton and 2 two vehicles? Have you looked at that? A ball joint or a tie rod can be the exact same part with the same rating but the mounting bolt hole or over all length may be different and thus the exact interchange is not there and thus they are for a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton when in fact they are the same as the heavier duty parts. But hay what do I know.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/3/15 6:53 p.m.

Can we just not fight about the H2? I was just asking about them, not for an internet scrap.

curtis73
2/3/15 6:55 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I really want proof of that. Where are you getting that information from.

The fact that I was an independent contractor in design for GM for 3 years, ran 13 auto repair shops including the largest GM service department in California, and cut my teeth as a parts manager for O'Reilly.

dean1484
2/3/15 6:59 p.m.
curtis73 wrote:
dean1484 wrote: I really want proof of that. Where are you getting that information from.
The fact that I was an independent contractor in design for GM for 3 years, ran 13 auto repair shops including the largest GM service department in California, and cut my teeth as a parts manager for O'Reilly.

Good to know!!! I will file that away when I have other GM questions.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G08Ly0hoWe9u1TpygsjO6n7FYajASGAQJE1ZWXSTf8JqHQN1yuorY7xYhB8dsUKi