1 2
Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
2/12/21 11:34 a.m.

My situation with the F500 is / was similar to pinchvalve's. I got offered $2000 car, I wanted to use it for autocross and maybe some track events (in my case vintage). The car is 34 years old, there is nobody in my class at autocross, I have shifter karts locally so FTD isn't ever going to happen and at vintage races I get thrown in with winged cars......................and it doesn't matter at all because I'm having a blast.

+5000 on the ease of working on a formula car.

The driving experience can't be replicated in a production based car for less than 10 times the price

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/12/21 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I guess I failed to consider if it was wheel to wheel class racing or  more of a solo/track day kinda goal.  
That's on me. 
      As far as shrouded vs i shrouded the person I referenced was required to run shrouds back then. Still, air cooled engines ( at least back then ) weren't always getting 2 weekends if really pushed.

A big part of that is the tracks we raced on.  Tracks like Road America.  4 miles of really long straights.  And Brainerd 3 miles with a mile & 1/2  of one straight and almost 3/4 of a mile with another. ( at least they were in lowered powered cars). 
  Tom I believe I learned the most about driving when I raced my MGTD. We'd have over 20 cars with near identical performance. I would push hard to just pass one or two others and finish 12th out of a field of 27.  
The winners were likely a prewar Supercharged Alfa Romeo  or the Bugatti.   My buddy Joe with his 60 horsepower MGTF 1500 might squeak into the top 5 if he didn't hang back and dice with me.  So I know if the field is tite you can learn those skills in a slower production car. The difficulty is getting enough cars with similar speeds together. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/21 7:56 a.m.

Great advice every, very much appreciated. The Track Nights kinda sealed the deal for me, I didn't even consider that one. There may be events where I can run it locally, but the SCCA track night program and NASA programs are where I want to run. I'm much better off with a caged Civic or Neon or something, the Focus is a good idea too. With a tow dolly I would be OK getting to the track if it is gutted.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/15/21 8:37 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

You might be right for Bob's Hyundai in Indy which he both autocrosses and track-days.  

Located just "down the road" from you, if that road is I-70.  But, at 6 hours away, you could go get it in one long day w/o an overnight stay.  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/15/21 9:36 a.m.

Image result for fendered formula car

I am a big fan of just putting a body over it or buying something with a body. If you don't care about classification and your not running for money then this does what you want and then some. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yzlqZAtVxV4R2BMqAsDSMpn8AW5TNHruqDT1yJ9voOEq4u5qVRbPx0paALir5vUE