1 2
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/7/19 11:11 a.m.

I am terrible at that.  I will overthink and scrutinize forever.

In my defense, though, it was about 4 hours between even finding the car on CL and the other offer coming in.  Hard to spend my whole beer fund on a car sight-unseen, especially with all that customization.

... but I won't make that mistake again if he calls and says the other deal fell through.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/7/19 11:37 a.m.

In reply to Curtis :

I would continue to keep dialog going with the seller.  There are a couple of "flags" that I see with the "deal" he has made.  

1. A non-rusty state buyer, Washington, has bought a car in a rusty state, PA.  This could be the making for some buyer remorse or some hassles for the seller.  Yes, we can agree that this Fiero may be rust-free but we also know that the definition varies from WA-PA.  

2. "buyer" is sending payment without seeing the car.  Just seems like a recipe for remorse and backlash.  

3. the money may have come but the car has not left.  Does the buyer understand how to get a car cross country and what that will cost.  Ask the seller how soon he thinks the car will actually be leaving?  How much effort does the seller have to put forth to make this shipping departure happen?  

Show the seller that you can complete the same sale, much quicker and much cleaner for the same money and he may just back out of the Washington deal.  

Curtis
10/7/19 11:44 a.m.

I did that already, but not quite as strongly.  I told him that if the other one falls through, I can have cash to him in hand in about 3 hours and take delivery of the car.

But I know that if someone else ruthlessly weaseled a car away from me in the same fashion, I'd be pissed.  It's the whole "do unto others" thing.  What is supposed to be, will be.  I wasn't the first to agree on a deal and get money to him, and I might lose it.  I'm OK with that.  A bit sad, but OK

Unless one of you berkeleyers are the ones who bought it laugh

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/7/19 11:58 a.m.

That car actually looks familiar. Since I didn't see the ad, I don't know if any history was mentioned. But there is a guy in NJ who used to specialize in modifying Fieros.  He has a V8 version as well as a VR6 version and built a TDI version (his main job is owning a German car shop, so he "speaks" VAG well).  He did numerous 3800SC conversions as well.  I don't think he's doing Fiero work anymore as the shop has plenty of day-job work these days. 

Anyway... years ago, he had Fiero meet-ups at his shop and invited the area MINI club. My ex- and I went a couple of times. If it is one of his cars, I'd feel confident in saying it's well done. He does meticulous work. 

wspohn
wspohn Dork
10/7/19 12:34 p.m.

Correct comment on the source of the 4 cylinder engine fires. I'd add that the problem was exacerbated by having an ECM that ran the rpm up the second the engine started plus a standing fit oil filter. It basically meant that every time you fired the engine it ran up to 2000-2500 on a dry bottom end. wink

The 1988 cars were far superior to the earlier ones as the suspension was completely new as opposed to using Chevette front and a Citation cradle at the rear, which resulted in only passable handling.

I've owned both 1987 and 1988 at the same time so had the chance to do a very good comparison.  I built a turbo version with 300 bhp that looked dead stock from the outside and was a lot of fun. Sold it almost 20 years later but still miss it sometimes.

Here it is face to face with it's replacement

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/7/19 2:52 p.m.

There's a nice looking 1987 Fiero for sale over on the MaxPerformance Pontiac board:  http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829128

It's a GT with a V6 and five speed transmission, T-tops, black with a charcoal-gray interior, and only 29,000 miles.  $7500. 

The seller didn't post his location but I asked him to add that information.  Edited to add:  the seller is in Harrington, Delaware.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
10/7/19 5:41 p.m.

How much was he asking?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/7/19 7:21 p.m.
DrBoost said:

How much was he asking?

If you're talking about the one I posted, it's right in that post - $7500.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
10/7/19 9:40 p.m.
DrBoost said:

How much was he asking?

Theoriginal one (orange one) was $7800 from what I remember  

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/19 3:34 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

What’s the black item in front of the left rear wheel on the body?

I didn't see the original photos before they were deleted, but I'm guessing that it was a Holley air scoop?

Curtis
10/8/19 6:56 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
DrBoost said:

How much was he asking?

Theoriginal one (orange one) was $7800 from what I remember  

He was asking $8750 negotiable

Curtis
10/8/19 7:10 p.m.
wspohn said:

Correct comment on the source of the 4 cylinder engine fires. I'd add that the problem was exacerbated by having an ECM that ran the rpm up the second the engine started plus a standing fit oil filter. It basically meant that every time you fired the engine it ran up to 2000-2500 on a dry bottom end. wink

The 1988 cars were far superior to the earlier ones as the suspension was completely new as opposed to using Chevette front and a Citation cradle at the rear, which resulted in only passable handling.

I've owned both 1987 and 1988 at the same time so had the chance to do a very good comparison.  I built a turbo version with 300 bhp that looked dead stock from the outside and was a lot of fun. Sold it almost 20 years later but still miss it sometimes.

Here it is face to face with it's replacement

How much should I be holding out for an 88 to get that one-year suspension?  What are the pros/cons of each?  Plenty of parts (performance or maintenance) available for both?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/8/19 7:17 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

One thing I remember reading here on GRM...

The '88 Suspension was a one year only offering.  It was also the last year of the Fiero and the lowest year for number of vehicles produced.  It was also 1988 or 31 years ago.    As I understand it, parts availability is drying up.  The '84-'87 cars had more significant numbers (for JY parts) and more significant numbers for oem/aftermarket parts.  Also, '84-'87 were parts bin cars so those parts are used on other GM models too.  The '88 stuff was not used on any other model.   I seem to remember that the '88 has a unique engine cradle and there are nearly none available.  

Said another way... The '88 is superior but if its parts are not available then its inferior.  

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/8/19 7:19 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

I might know where a normal non car guy has a stock 88. If you want I can go see if it's still there. Would have to be after the Challenge though. 

Curtis
10/9/19 8:50 a.m.

Thanks, but if 88s are getting hard to find parts, it may not be a specific draw.  I can likely upgrade an earlier car to handle the way I want without needing the stock 88's template to start with.

I'm kinda back to the drawing board.  I did get a PM from the guy on the Pontiac Forums about the low mileage 87 that Stuart posted.  It sounds like a good choice, but the seller indicated that it does have some of what I call "storage decay."  Some sensors failing, R12 A/C inop, etc.  I think I'll probably pass on it simply because it may end up being perfect, or it may end up being a project.  The main goals here are exciting and reliable.  It's a great car for someone who is really passionate about Fieros.  The real draw to the original fiero was that it was an already-sorted 400-hp swapped car.

I have a couple CL searches for 350z, Miata, Fiero, and MR2, and of course... still have a search for XJRs too.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
10/10/19 10:56 a.m.

I had upgraded my 87 to handle decently, but the 88 was noticeably better.

Parts for the 88 can be harder to get - the front wheel bearings are perhaps the most difficult but see http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=318

The Fiero Store keeps most of the 1988 stuff in stock, often having the parts custom made.  We are the same period as the MGA/MGB were in before the after market took over - now we can get just about everything from the after market.

Some 88 Fiero stuff will always require a bit of hunting, but OTOH things like front wheel bearings last 100,000 miles plus, so it isn't an every day problem.  The handling of the 88 chassis is enough better than the older one that if I were to buy another Fiero, I would wait until I found an 88.  The 88 also uses vented brake rotors all round for improved brake fade characteristics.  

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
10/10/19 11:50 a.m.

Couldn't find any on CL, but there's a few on FB Marketplace.

'86 GT $5.5k: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/897339460625536/
'88 $3.5k: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/222824661971591/
'87 GT $4.8k: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1329571143884756/ (This one actually makes me want a Fiero. Looks damn good)
'86 Auction on 10/16: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/907617299617502/
'88 $3.5k: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/996030980768417/

There's loads more up and down the Midwest for even cheaper but uh, they show their cheapness.

I've also noticed Facebook will inadvertently call them Azteks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PIAnis5XZKJeQm8SIU72jrycO7maBQmfBlL7olSAgEXnanwjDNDTiIzh4Jb55NJO