captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/15 2:09 p.m.

photos will be coming shortly. I'm amazed things didn't go much worse. From the time the car came to rest, or at least became completely submerged, until Tanak and his codriver got to the surface must've been the longest 10-15 seconds ever, and the most chaotic inside the car.

captdownshift
3/6/15 2:10 p.m.

http://www.crash.net/wrc/news/215309/1/tanak-okay-after-crashing-into-a-lake-on-rally-mexico.html

captdownshift
3/6/15 2:11 p.m.

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/march/tanak-crask/page/2257--12-12-.html

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
3/6/15 2:14 p.m.

For sale: One WRC Ford Fiesta. Slight water damage.

Glad everyone is okay though.

captdownshift
3/6/15 2:17 p.m.

<a href="

Scary moment @RallyMexico @Official_iRally @OfficialWRC @MSportLtd pic.twitter.com/Z8jdSjSzLd&mdash; Andre Lavadinho (@ALavadinho) March 6, 2015
">photo in link

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/6/15 3:11 p.m.

Apparently his co-driver came out of the car with their pace notes. I wouldn't have been worried about anything except getting the hell out of the car!

captdownshift
3/6/15 5:07 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

Probably to say, where did I say r5 flat into lake

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/6/15 7:15 p.m.

Just watched the video. I am pretty sure something in either the suspension or steering broke. You can see the RF wheel turned completely to the right and he is trying to get the car to go left.

Boy they got out quick!

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/7/15 12:05 p.m.

. . . and apparently M-Sport pulled it out of the water after a 10 hour soak and within 2 1/2 hours re-prepped it and Tanak is re-entered under SuperRally rules!!!

Wow - way to go M-Sport!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/7/15 12:47 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Apparently his co-driver came out of the car with their pace notes. I wouldn't have been worried about anything except getting the hell out of the car!

Emergency toilet paper.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/7/15 1:51 p.m.

Yeah, the co-driver was out of there like fricken Houdini. It was amazing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/15 2:00 p.m.

That's because as soon as the car started to go, the navigator was thinking "that's it, we're going into the lake" while the driver was thinking "I can still save this" right up to the point that water came in the window.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
3/7/15 2:04 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLmVcBPG1sQ

There's a link to the video for those wondering.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/7/15 5:04 p.m.

At least it went off slow and landed upright. Could have been a lot worse.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
3/7/15 5:29 p.m.

Funny- so in military aviation, they say, wait until violent motion stops (normally upside-down in a helo), then deliberately open your door, let the cabin flood so pressure equalizes, and get out.

berkeley that. I love how these dudes just flung the berkeleying doors open and got the berkeley out. Bravo sirs, because that's what I would do as I was E36 M3ting my berkeleying pants.

captdownshift
3/7/15 6:29 p.m.

The in car video is the best, windscreen wipers are turned on as soon as it hits the water

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/15 10:00 p.m.

You can clearly hear "oh uh" on the in-car. Also, notice how the driver forgot to unhook the intercom? Yeah, NEVER done that Janel, my codriver, really enjoyed the route book coming with the navigator.

Best part was the navigator giving the driver a little "it's okay" pat on the shoulder before they got out of the water.

captdownshift
3/9/15 9:36 a.m.

I also think the stuffed duck is partly to blame. The snorkels at the finishing ceremony were a nice touch. I'm glad everyone was safe, blown away that M-Sport got the car back on stage to finish the weekend and smiling at everyone in involved for having fun with it and making light of the event, after having made for memorable weekend.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/9/15 10:11 a.m.

Excellent work by the service crew.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6udTclIeBSsI2WZukrHvkJ5yvjn5SBuaQWcOmrNfQyOQD9WpyWQceyA8GF2sNS1c