1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/4/12 10:08 a.m.

I saw a pair of them yesterday for the first time. Mean looking car that actually blends in way too well. They were a dark gun metal grey with smoked windows with the obligatory push bars that had protection for the headlights as well. Two state policeman were standing next to them catching speeders at the Allston Brighton tolls in I 90.

rotard
rotard Dork
7/4/12 10:21 a.m.

I like the RoboCop Tauri more.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/4/12 11:19 a.m.

The small munie I live in has a few of them. I'm thinking I may end up with a nice little fleet of them if all goes right.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/4/12 12:21 p.m.

I'll be shocked if these hold up nearly as well as the Crown Vic.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
7/4/12 12:42 p.m.

Brief threadjack: I was in Peterborough ON last night and saw a parked bright red late-model Charger R/T with two tiny (like the size of a quarter) lights at the upper corners of the grille. As I walked closer, I saw an LED light bar under the passenger sun visor. Talk about low profile.

You may now resume blue-oval law enforcement.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/4/12 1:00 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: As I walked closer, I saw an LED light bar under the passenger sun visor. Talk about low profile.

Do you see my LED light bar? Nice, isn't it?

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
7/4/12 1:13 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: Brief threadjack: I was in Peterborough ON last night and saw a parked bright red late-model Charger R/T with two tiny (like the size of a quarter) lights at the upper corners of the grille. As I walked closer, I saw an LED light bar under the passenger sun visor. Talk about low profile. You may now resume blue-oval law enforcement.

You were in Peterborough last night? Did ya see a black topless Camaro SS?

I've driven the Taurus Interceptors, they're a blast. Really frigging stable to throw around, even on a wet autocross.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/4/12 1:30 p.m.
Lesley wrote: I've driven the Taurus Interceptors

You suck.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
7/4/12 1:38 p.m.

My village PD just bought one. Looks menacing, but it's still a Taurus.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
7/4/12 1:45 p.m.

Sorry, Lesley, no I didn't.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/4/12 1:47 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: My village PD just bought one. Looks menacing, but it's still a Taurus.

365 hp, awd, capable of being a stand alone police unit and it's still "just a taurus?"

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/4/12 1:57 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: 365 hp, awd, capable of being a stand alone police unit and it's still "just a taurus?"

My understanding is that not all of the police interceptor models are turbo/AWD, just a special pursuit version that I'm guessing most departments won't be springing for.

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
7/4/12 2:29 p.m.

It's not just a Taurus. They're specially built - suspension, brakes, wheels, engine management and interior are all Pursuit-specific.

http://www.auto123.com/en/ford/taurus/2013/review?carid=1131803905&artid=143140

B430
B430 Reader
7/4/12 3:06 p.m.

It's got a cop motor, cop suspension...

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
7/4/12 3:09 p.m.

they haven't showed up 'round here yet but we'll BOLO

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
7/4/12 3:20 p.m.

I haven't seen the Taurus Interceptor yet but I have seen an unmarked new Caprice in Haverhill, MA. I know us here think it is silly that a model that is not available to the general public is sold unmarked to police, but I think it will catch most of the normals off-guard. The Caprice is rather generic-looking. The ass end especially resembles the current Malibu.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
7/4/12 3:24 p.m.
Lesley wrote: It's not just a Taurus. They're specially built - suspension, brakes, wheels, engine management and interior are all Pursuit-specific. http://www.auto123.com/en/ford/taurus/2013/review?carid=1131803905&artid=143140

kinda like how the 9C1 option package on a Caprice made it into a cop car, P71 made a Crown Vickie into a cop car, B4C made a Camaro into a cop car...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/4/12 5:31 p.m.

Hope Ford did their homework this time. The last time they made a Taurus cop car it overheated because there wasn't enough airflow, so they hurriedly added some vents to the front trim panel between the headlights. This is an SHO but that's the cop car 'grille'.

They weren't fast enough (the 3.8 was a dog) and the steel rims had a nasty habit of cracking and separating (they were wider than stock and the centers had not been properly redesigned or heat treated for the additional loads).

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
7/4/12 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Lesley and N Sperlo

You guys got me all wrong. I know it's not just a Taurus, I've been around P71s all my life. It just doesn't look as menacing as say the Charger. It's like the Impala, it just looks like an plain Jane civilian Impala.

Maybe I will feel different later.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/4/12 6:53 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Agree to disagree.

vs vs

No true way an argument based on opinion. SOMEONE SET UP A POLL

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
7/4/12 9:12 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Ok, I have to say that the "Murdered Out" Taurus PI looks menacing, but in my village's black and white paint scheme with the light and push bar just doesn't look good.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
7/4/12 10:42 p.m.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
7/4/12 10:59 p.m.

In reply to fast_eddie_72:

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
7/5/12 5:06 a.m.

LA did a big test of all the new police specific offerings and the ecoboost awd Taurus was the fastest, faster then the hemi Charger and the 6.0 Caprice!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
7/5/12 5:20 a.m.

I just hate having to learn all the new headlight/marker light patterns. I had the old cop vicy pattern down pat, and could spot them coming up from behind with ease. Now, it's going to be harder.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R3wvXLt2OlwaJcky5kHplddK83wGNge70o9rbds6gcEekW8kxVyo8Ib6J0jnu1TO