1 2
loudes13
loudes13 Reader
7/6/21 9:04 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Forum Supporter) :

This fleet thread is very interesting, so I want it to continue. 

I wonder about rust on those Fastenal trucks from up north. surely they were stored outside a s nobody was salt off. 

loudes13
loudes13 Reader
7/6/21 9:04 a.m.

Sorry washing salt off. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/6/21 9:16 a.m.

In reply to loudes13 :

I recently wrote some more in this thread.  If you're serious, I would look at that 2015 in Illinois.  The best thing about these is it should be really easy to call the local branch (or even stop in) and talk to the guys actually driving the truck.  They should have no reservations to tell you things like, "I'm glad to see that one go...it was always in the shop."  But, I expect the reality is they will have nothing really bad to say about them.   Maybe they can tell you which one was in an accident or they can tell you which one was fastest in the parking lot drag races, ha.  

You might also try this overpriced former fastenal truck in Western Michigan.  The carfax reveals the dealer has had it since April but it is overpriced asking $25k where direct from Fastenal is more like $20k.  The best part is the carfax reveals it was a Texas truck.  Offer the dealer the $20k and see if he bites.  Being that this dealer is in real snow country, a 2wd truck will be a tough sell.  

For me, if looking at this Mich/Texas truck, using the info in the carfax of servicing dealerships, I would then find the closest Fastenal location to that dealership.  I would call the Fastenal store, speak with the manager and just be honest that you are shopping his old truck and then ask him, "should I...?"  

Looks like that truck was serviced at  Euless Express Lube Euless, TX at 8k miles and then sold in Aug '20 at around 21.6k miles.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
7/6/21 9:20 a.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove :

I bought a new 2016 F150. It has been trouble free and good fuel mileage. 

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/6/21 1:21 p.m.

My current daily driver came from the Oregon State fleet. It has over 200,000 miles on it, but still runs and drives like new. Based on the hour meter and the milage it averaged 45 mph, so mostly highway driving. Given the price and condition I would definitely buy another vehicle from a large fleet 

I also oversee the department that does fleet maintenance for a small city. We are making changes to improve our preventative maintenance now, but previously it has been run something until it breaks, then fix it as good as possible given available funds. I'm not sure that I would recommend buying a vehicle from a small municipality.

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/6/21 11:41 p.m.

I concur with what was said about emergency vehicles.  They are either idling to run AC/code lights,  or they are WOT to a call - irregardless of previous engine temp. 

If something is borderline, it'll be replaced, even if the truck/car is retiring from service in two weeks. It's not the fleet managers money, and he/she/X won't be responsible for an accident that could've been avoided. And it'll likely be 20 weeks before that replacement shows up anyways. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f631l6y51I8lt0NI31nkw6GYrKVgG9XmBWvGrhtzztg6ZZ9jHZ3R52Un95uzuvIN