1 2 3
Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/14 8:56 a.m.

Electric Tesla Model E to be half the price and 20 percent smaller than $70,000 Model S

Is JG on the waiting list yet? $35k isn't cheap but it's much more attainable than $70k.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/15/14 8:58 a.m.

That, could be interesting....I still like the i3 though

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/15/14 9:01 a.m.

Until they put can put a 10 minute full charge station in every gas station across the country (or at least from Peoria, IL to Bloomington, Springfield, Champaign, Decatur, Chicago, Lasalle/Peru, St. Louis, and Indianapolis) OR add in a Volt like generator system, no thanks. I would have to have 2 cars at that point, and the second one would need to be practical as well.

But still, I'm extremely happy to see this getting more and more affordable.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
4/15/14 9:09 a.m.

I took my Volt on 4 long road trips last year, but, if I used the MINI for those instead, I could live my entire year well within the range of even the Volt's electric charge, much less a Tesla. This could be a good car to replace the Volt when the lease is up if the price stays put.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/14 9:11 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

What kind of GRMer doesn't already have at least 2 cars?!

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
4/15/14 9:23 a.m.

The lease on my Leaf runs out in July 2015. Doesn't sound like this car will be ready yet, but I think the choices of reasonably priced full electrics will be a little bigger by then. Me likey. The 21kW battery in my Leaf is sufficient for most of my needs...give me a 30+kW battery and I'm golden.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/14 9:24 a.m.

Dayum, that would be a sweet deal. It might make me sad that I can't afford any new cars.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/15/14 9:35 a.m.
bgkast wrote: In reply to mtn: What kind of GRMer doesn't already have at least 2 cars?!

A great point, but in my scenario, the second car has to be practical. I need the car to be able to pick up and go 150-300 miles, and when it is doing that, it needs to be able to hold myself, my fiancee, a guitar or 2, clothing for a week, and golf clubs. That typically rules out the Miata, although I did put a trailer hitch on it to rectify the situation.

When kids come around, it will be a different story though.

mw
mw Dork
4/15/14 9:41 a.m.

I like that. I will be really tempted when that comes out. 200miles is enough for almost everything I do.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
4/15/14 9:48 a.m.

Definitely has potential for me. 200 miles would serve 99% of my normal driving needs. Whenever I need to drive farther, I'd probably need/want a larger vehicle anyway. I'll still have a fleet of classic cars anyway for other trips.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/15/14 10:01 a.m.

35 is still out of my price range at this time and I would prefer a gas car, but that puts it in reach of more of the middle class and therefore is a move in the proper direction.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/15/14 11:55 a.m.

I like it. The range would work for almost all of my typical trips (unlike a leaf) and I haven't made any headway trying to convince the wife that a Volt is something she should like.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
4/15/14 12:31 p.m.

Awesome. Still not down in my cheapass price range, but I like it.

200 miles covers 99% of my driving. Most of the "big" trips we take are up & down the 95 corridor and there are enough superchargers to make the trip (barely) with more coming before the end of 2014.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/15/14 12:40 p.m.

If it happens like that, the DC metro will be packed with these. I like that thought. 8)

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
4/15/14 12:43 p.m.

That is 35K before any tax rebates, presumably. I would imagine that once those are included, you are looking at the high 20s for a base model.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/15/14 12:45 p.m.

Tesla have a lousy track record for launching cars on time and on price, but it looks awesome whenever if finally does arrive.

As far as the 'why note add a small generator a-la Volt' Not going to happen with the CA ZEV mandate starting in 2018. The push is for pure electric.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/14 12:52 p.m.

I'm encouraged by the 200 mile range for $35k. Eventually, this should trickle down to other manufacturers and less-expensive models, as well. Once the range for a reasonably-priced EV gets into the 110 mile range, I'd strongly consider one when my current DD is up for replacement. (I have a 60 mile round-trip commute, but I'd like some extra range for the colder weather we get up here in the Northeast.)

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
4/15/14 1:57 p.m.

Some of the DIY electric guys have hitches on their cars and can pull a small trailer with a sailboat diesel generator on it to charge while they drive and effectively make them hybrids. I wonder if the OEM electric cars' computers will let them charge while driving?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/15/14 2:12 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy:

Probably not, and wouldn't that defeat the purpose anyways?

Also, my weekend in chicago taught me that some tesla owners don't believe in honking/yielding to pedestrians. You seriously don't hear them(not a good thing)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/14 2:15 p.m.

what I really like about Tesla.. is their cars look like cars. They are not weird bubbles like the Prius and the leaf.. these are honest to goodness cars.. that also happen to be drop dead sexy looking.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/15/14 2:17 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: what I really like about Tesla.. is their cars look like cars. They are not weird bubbles like the Prius and the leaf.. these are honest to goodness cars.. that also happen to be drop dead sexy looking.

My Leaf is sexy looking... once I get in it.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/15/14 2:19 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: what I really like about Tesla.. is their cars look like cars. They are not weird bubbles like the Prius and the leaf.. these are honest to goodness cars.. that also happen to be drop dead sexy looking.

This. See also, one part of why I was looking at the Volt. Although the volt just looks like an appliance, whereas the Tesla's are drop dead gorgeous

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/15/14 2:25 p.m.

I just went down a rabbit hole here. First I read about that Tesla car. Then BMW's i3. Then the new Tesla battery plant. Cool stuff!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
4/15/14 2:38 p.m.

Tesla is definitely sexy.

I still think the 3G Prius looks much better than many of the goofy-tall econoboxes on the market today.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
4/15/14 2:48 p.m.

Tesla definitely has the looks.

I don't think my Leaf is sexy by any standards. But I have to say I like the looks. It's quirky and odd, but that's one thing I like. It doesn't look like all the other melted jelly beans/cookie cutter designs on the road. Kinda like the old Mitsubishi or Toyota vans. Not sexy, but funky. If you peer over the hood while driving a Leaf at night, the view of the headlights is pretty cool.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pJG0wV19Xhb42Bz3gHVU2EUQkzVMDcKrRpArOAWipYjomRSxJId9sQ5032i1pChH