1 2 3
vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/11/13 6:45 p.m.

So how much of a coincidence is it that a colleague and I saw two Model S on two separate days (one black, one white) driving around Burlington, Vermont without plates? Far as I know there's no dealership in VT. Magazine test?

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/11/13 6:59 p.m.

I wonder if they were the $60K base model, or the ones that tesla marked up to $100K. I wonder how many people remember that the company has a history of doing this (...and thus, annoying customers.) My guess is that up until you have the car in hand, they will change the price as they see fit.

BTW, they're promoting the S via demo rides at SXSW

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/11/13 7:41 p.m.

I wound up behind one on a bicycle ride last week... It caught my attention; I was thinking "Hey, nice looking car, what is it?" Was a bit surprised when I read the badge...

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/11/13 8:14 p.m.

I read somewhere that the new model is selling like mad, that their income is higher than ever, and.... they're still losing money by the dumpster-full.

I see them frequently here in the SF bay-area. Fine-looking car. Maybie Toyota, Nissan and GM will figure out that it's OK to be green and sexy - that your eco-models needn't look like something the librarian dragged in.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
3/11/13 8:22 p.m.

Saw one last friday on I285 on the north side of atlanta, new car tags...

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
3/11/13 8:29 p.m.

I didn't realize that they were even being sold outside of California yet, so I was pretty surprised to see one in Kennesaw back in December. No tag, just a sticker in the window.

(blurry photo shot just after dawn from a moving vehicle)

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
3/11/13 8:38 p.m.

There are at least 2 in Boulder. The fit and finish is first rate.

The owners seem to be using them as regular around town cars, including subjecting the car to the nasty Whole Foods parking lot....

Yeah....there is a TON of money in this town..

Rog

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/11/13 9:23 p.m.

One of the guys at my workplace (Cedar Rapids, IA) has had one a couple of months.

Rode in it, nice looking car, appears to be nicely fitted inside as well. Hauled four around comfortably and with plenty of performance.

A couple of interested observations though-- The instrument panel and centerstack electronic display come with the equivalent of a cntrl-alt-del for resetting the units in case they appear to need it. Control of the car is not affect by resetting the displays

Second item appears to be a characteristic of the technology. It was cold--teens if I recall correctly. He was surprised at the lack of regen braking he as getting in the cold soaked car, until we realized that the amount he was getting was increasing as the battery pack warmed up. As the regen happens automagically when you lift the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal is just (normal) hydraulic brakes, you have to adjust your driving style for the regen performance when the car is cold.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/11/13 9:26 p.m.

I pulled onto a highway exit behind one in the WRX (lightly-tuned 09 ~280whp). As we came off the exit he stepped on it. I was a bit off boost so he got a jump, but I wanted to see the car from the side (having never seen one) so I dropped a gear and hit it as well. Up to about 85mph I could only just barely gaining on it and couldn't catch him until he let off. I moved up alongside to get a look and then noticed there were 5 people in the car.

cliffs: they're pretty damn quick. And very, very nice looking. And surprisingly long and wide (or so they look)

I did feel satisfied in having probably reduced his range by a nice chunk though :)

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/11/13 9:28 p.m.
kreb wrote: - that your eco-models needn't look like something the librarian dragged in.

one can hope. Right now it seems that they are required to make it as dorky looking as possible, so everyone knows you're driving an electric car. Make one that performs well and looks identical to a "normal" car (like a Hyundai Sonata or something) and I would start thinking about it.

Keep making it look like a dork-mobile, I won't ever buy one :)

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
3/11/13 11:38 p.m.

There was one out on Track with us at Atlanta Motorsports Park a couple weeks ago. Thing is pretty darn fast ...and super quiet.

Interactive
Interactive New Reader
3/11/13 11:56 p.m.

I've seen at least 3 in Vegas over the last month.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
3/12/13 12:52 a.m.

In reply to kreb:

They lost money q4 2012 at roughly 1/2 of full production of the Model S.

Q1 2013 will be telling - the cars are sold out and they're max'ed out on production.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
3/12/13 7:10 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: I wonder if they were the $60K base model, or the ones that tesla marked up to $100K. I wonder how many people remember that the company has a history of doing this (...and thus, annoying customers.) My guess is that up until you have the car in hand, they will change the price as they see fit.

Why so negative? They offer the car in 2 trims, priced accordingly - just like everybody else.

I've seen several on the road and thought the 1st one was a Maserati before I fugured it out. They are attractive, quiet, very very fast, and get the equivalent of 90 MPG. Range (260-ish) and charge time (varies) are the only downsides.

Looking forward to a 1st hand review in about a month when The Boss' Model S shows up. They look like the real thing, time & market response will tell.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
3/12/13 7:25 a.m.
Karacticus wrote: One of the guys at my workplace (Cedar Rapids, IA)...

Do you work at Rockwell Collins? I'm at RC in Melbourne.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/12/13 8:01 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
kreb wrote: - that your eco-models needn't look like something the librarian dragged in.
one can hope. Right now it seems that they are required to make it as dorky looking as possible, so everyone knows you're driving an electric car. Make one that performs well and looks identical to a "normal" car (like a Hyundai Sonata or something) and I would start thinking about it.

Couple things, you can get electric "normal cars." The lease rate on a new Focus electric is about $200 a month if you are serious about buying an electric car that looks normal. And even then, the Focus, even in non-electric form, follows the Kamm effect shaping:

Second thing is, we know that the Kamm effect bodystyle is the most aerodynamically efiicient form for a car, and that's what the Prius, Insight, and even the Volt use as their form factor. All are truncated teardrops when viewed from both plan and elevation. I personally like the looks of my Volt ad don't think it looks "dorky" at all.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/12/13 8:04 a.m.

They are on display in the the Mall near me. They have an actual store for them. Kind of odd to have a car store in a mall was my first thought but I got a chance to walk around it. Nice looking car. Now we just need to figure out how to my man LSx in to it.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/12/13 8:16 a.m.

In reply to jstein77: Yes. BRS systems engineering on C Avenue

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
3/12/13 8:48 a.m.
irish44j wrote: cliffs: they're pretty damn quick. And very, very nice looking. And surprisingly long and wide (or so they look)

The top-model does 0-60 in 4.1 second.

Road and Track tested it a bunch of times just to make sure because Tesla said it would probably only do it 4.4. Maybe Tesla was testing with four passengers?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
3/12/13 8:57 a.m.

I really like the Model S, I'd buy one if I could afford it, and I would be really happy to see Tesla succeed. It'd be a nice middle-finger to the existent corporate policy that green has to equal boring-to-drive.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
3/12/13 9:03 a.m.
PHeller wrote: The top-model does 0-60 in 4.1 second. Road and Track tested it a bunch of times just to make sure because Tesla said it would probably only do it 4.4. Maybe Tesla was testing with four passengers?

Maybe Tesla understands marketing; people, at least my generation and younger, will eviscerate you for over-inflating your specs. If they said the car did 0-60 in four-flat, but it took 4.1, they'd be ripped apart across every social media site and automotive blog on the planet. Meanwhile, 4.4 is still a respectable number to claim, and being about to do 4.1 shows the car is even better than it's claimed to be. They're more credible now because they're overperforming as to what they've claimed.

kreb
3/12/13 9:24 a.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter: Underpromise and overdeliver. If only every company ran themselves that way....

kreb
3/12/13 9:30 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: Couple things, you can get electric "normal cars." The lease rate on a new Focus electric is about $200 a month if you are serious about buying an electric car that looks normal. And even then, the Focus, even in non-electric form, follows the Kamm effect shaping: Second thing is, we know that the Kamm effect bodystyle is the most aerodynamically efiicient form for a car, and that's what the Prius, Insight, and even the Volt use as their form factor. All are truncated teardrops when viewed from both plan and elevation. I personally like the looks of my Volt ad don't think it looks "dorky" at all.

I'm no Volt hater, but to me they look like most Chevy products - handsome in a plain sort of way.

I'm actually going to look into the Focus electric. I have a 9 mile commute, and still manage to burn through several hundred dollars worth of gas a month in my Dodge 4x4. At that lease rate, the Focus would pay for itself and probably be a good deal more fun to drive.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/12/13 10:06 a.m.

I have seen two out in the wild here in Columbus. I agree, they are a very nice looking car.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
3/12/13 11:33 a.m.

If I had the money I'd buy one in a heartbeat. And wish Tesla nothing but success.

I am a bit biased though, I've been in the (industrial) EV business for almost 15 years.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WFe6R7HBfKiozfN38ANADfQPky9bfGGlpm3HItBWKPAnyzXLgOYS1Fm8ZarDhGrD