1 2
GUNDY
GUNDY New Reader
10/5/08 3:03 p.m.

A large thank you to Tim and all of the GRM staff and anyone else that helped to put the 2008 Challenge together. This was another fantastic event like always, a lot of fun and and great to see old friends from years past and to meet new ones. We look forward to seeing you all next year, and hopefully more first timers.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/5/08 7:48 p.m.

And thanks for coming. Every year the event becomes more like a reunion, yet new faces are just as welcome.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
10/5/08 9:28 p.m.

NOW I really feel like crap. This year I toyed with the idea of rolling a "business trip" into a pleasure trip by visiting Jacksonville and the '08 Challenge. I even had the time off, but was short of cash for hotel/meals AND gas. EVERY year, I tell myself, this is the year...and every year I miss out. Oh, well, we get most of the highlights in the mag...soon.

Pat
Pat New Reader
10/5/08 10:10 p.m.

I too had a great time. See you all next year!

Pat - #25 Dodge Shadow

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/08 10:31 p.m.

Really fun time. I came solo and met some great guys and gals who were willing to talk and hang.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
10/5/08 10:43 p.m.

Definately, tons of fun, as always. See you guys next year!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/6/08 6:39 a.m.

Someone asked me if I had more fun WITHOUT a car, and I said yes.

But I still think I'll bring a car (or 2) next year!

Thanks!!

dlmater
dlmater GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/6/08 7:41 a.m.

My son and I were blown away by how friendly and helpful everyone was to us. We had an incredible time and met some great people. This was our first year and I would never have imagined how fun it could be.

Thank you to all the GRM staff. The event was very well organized and all your hard work was evident and greatly appreciated. We hope to be back next year.

Dennis - #6, 1984 BMW e30 - 4.3L V6

924guy
924guy HalfDork
10/6/08 7:45 a.m.

We had a good time as well, Im actually glad my car wasnt done in time, quite frankly, id of been embarrased. the quality of the cars was exceptional, far above what I'd expected. We spent some time watching the concurs judging, and checking out the cars taking mental notes, talking to a few of you , though we tried to stay out of peoples hair for the most part and not bug anyone. all and all a great day, well worth the trip even without competing.

when we got home i took a good look at my car with a fresh perspective, the to do list just tripled...but now that i know what ill be up against.. look out ;)

Thanks for hosting a great event GRM, and thanks to all that were there for making it one of the best car events ive been too!

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/6/08 7:51 a.m.

I'm working on leg-stretching exercises so that I can kick myself in my ass for not coming.

evildky
evildky Dork
10/6/08 11:42 a.m.

the whole car thing is an excuse for the drinking and socializing that goes on after dark, many thinks to GRM for putting all us dorks together in person, year after year, and putting up wiht our sometimes borderline behavior ;)

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous New Reader
10/6/08 11:56 a.m.

Thanks all. It was great to see everybody. We had a blast!

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
10/6/08 4:09 p.m.

Thank you again.

We are already scheming.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
10/6/08 4:59 p.m.

Yes thanks. Although I didn't know bribing the judges played such a big part int eh concours. We'll see how they like their bribes next year from me .

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
10/6/08 7:22 p.m.

Just wanted to say thank you to the GRM staff and all of the people who gave me complements during the challenge.

leshairybackedmom
leshairybackedmom New Reader
10/6/08 7:23 p.m.

Thanks to everyone at the GRM staff and all that showed up for the challenge again this year. We didn't even bring a car this year and we still drove 950 miles just to see everyone and their creations again. Although we didn't bring a car, this was probably the closest we will ever get to a magazine spot with the "sui-pshycle" trike. The best money I ever talked my buddy into spending. If anyone needs a new hairpiece, the seat hair was road tested at 90 mph plus and the combover held just fine, so the hairpieces will be in production soon. Thanks again and can't wait to see everyone again next year.

silence
silence New Reader
10/6/08 9:52 p.m.

Thanks to the GRM staff for once again organizing such a fun event, and to all of you who helped us out when Jimmy and I were having our no-start issues. It was nice to see some old friends from 2007 and to make new friends. See you all in 09! Carlos - #33 Dirte30

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/7/08 5:57 a.m.

I might have come up with the idea ten years ago, but I didn't have that much involvement this year. Sure, I wrangled the car show end of it, but my staff did an absolutely fantastic job of putting this event on. Kudos to them.

My main job was to hang out and try to talk to everyone. I also was in charge of keeping the Hong Norr guys in line, which was pretty easy this year. Glad they are getting older too.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
10/7/08 6:50 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: I might have come up with the idea ten years ago, but I didn't have that much involvement this year. Sure, I wrangled the car show end of it, but my staff did an absolutely fantastic job of putting this event on. Kudos to them. My main job was to hang out, drink a lot, and try to talk to everyone. I also was in charge of keeping the Hong Norr guys in line, which was pretty easy this year. Glad they are getting older too.

fixed

Thank you everyone!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/7/08 7:22 a.m.

I will add my thanks too. Once again this year, we started too late and rushed through the build. While we had a nice auto-x result, the drag result was surprisingly bad.

The Gainesville contingent is already planning for $2009, thanks to the surprise announcement to keep the event in town. While the West Coast folks are bemoaning the news, we're all elated!

Thanks GRM for a kick ass event that doesn't require buckets of money to have a good time.

bluej
bluej HalfDork
10/7/08 7:42 a.m.

As a first time challenger, I came into it with high hopes and was not disappointed. Thanks again for making this spectacle of craziness happen.

spin_out
spin_out New Reader
10/7/08 8:56 a.m.

Wonderful event. Thanks so much for holding it.

Like Andy my $2009 scheming has started on a new project.
The Fiero is retiring with $510 left in the budget. (That'll do pig. That'll do.)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
10/7/08 9:46 a.m.

Not even a week later and it seems like my plan for $2009 is already coming into things. We are going to keep the Honda and spend the rest of the budget and sell some things to tidy it up. That thing has some potential.

One of my friends really wants to go next year. RC and I already located an LT1 and a E30 318. Just need the rest of drivetrain! Although we will be scavenging for the cheapest LS1 drivetrain because we all know LS1s are amazing even the truck versions!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/08 9:49 a.m.
spin_out wrote: Wonderful event. Thanks so much for holding it. Like Andy my $2009 scheming has started on a new project. The Fiero is retiring with $510 left in the budget. (That'll do pig. That'll do.)

nitrous plus drag radials < $510. bring it back!

jlphil
jlphil New Reader
10/7/08 9:48 p.m.

Thanks Tim and all the crew at GRM, this was a wonderful event. It is a humbling experience to crawl around every one of these cars, see all the incredible ideas brought to realization (or ALMOST realized!) and hear all the fantastic stories about the entrants and their hard work. More imagination, ability, and skill than I will probably ever have. You entrants are my heroes.I hope I get to see you again and again. Thanks again, everyone.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vamhLyzHRTOtR86XOocrMY1mOQJW7v0Q84n3fFHDhdo1JoLAcP6Z4TT5a3YZGHU2