1 2 3 4 ... 8
NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
2/17/20 9:02 p.m.

Not a Nascar fan and didn't see this crash, nor do I want to, but of course hope Newman is ok.  As evidence of how much safer full-blown race cars have become, see Ott Tanak's horrendous "off" at the Monte Carlo rally a few weeks ago.  He and codriver walked away from it, and were back racing in Sweden this past weekend.  30 years ago I'm pretty sure Tanak and his codriver would both be dead before the car stopped moving. 

Link:  https://www.redbull.com/int-en/videos/wrc-2020-monte-carlo-ott-tanak-crash

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
2/17/20 9:04 p.m.

This is why I hate plate racing; whoever it is at NASCAR who thinks it's OK should be kicked in the crouch. It's a dangerous profession but making it more so makes me angry. 

I hope the guy is OK. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
2/17/20 9:05 p.m.
rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
2/17/20 9:05 p.m.

NASCAR press pass just updated with a statement from the team that he is in serious condition, but not life threatening.

-Rob

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
2/17/20 9:08 p.m.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
NorseDave said:

Not a Nascar fan and didn't see this crash, nor do I want to, but of course hope Newman is ok.  As evidence of how much safer full-blown race cars have become, see Ott Tanak's horrendous "off" at the Monte Carlo rally a few weeks ago.  He and codriver walked away from it, and were back racing in Sweden this past weekend.  30 years ago I'm pretty sure Tanak and his codriver would both be dead before the car stopped moving. 

Link:  https://www.redbull.com/int-en/videos/wrc-2020-monte-carlo-ott-tanak-crash

Even in amateur motorsports....see Foley's flight off the side of Pike's Peak in his Evo.....car was reduced to basically the cage, and he pretty much walked away from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hIsWx5qbQs

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

some good news

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/20 9:09 p.m.

(edit) Non-life threatening but serious is a pretty large scope of injury

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/20 9:10 p.m.

That's good to hear.

79rex
79rex Reader
2/17/20 9:10 p.m.

That's great news, and from seeing the crash he is unbelievably lucky for that

Will
Will UltraDork
2/17/20 9:12 p.m.

Let's hope the diagnosis is accurate and that Ryan is able to recover. 

That was as bad a crash as I've seen in a long time, and after the car stopped, it sure looked as if there was fuel dumping out next to an open flame. That was hard to watch waiting for the safety crews to show up.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/20 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Yes but it was far better than I expected after two hours of total silence.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/20 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

I agree.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
2/17/20 9:22 p.m.

Hopefully he'll have a speedy recovery.  

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
2/17/20 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Will :

Wasn't fuel obviously, the oil tank is there so likely that.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/17/20 10:09 p.m.

Very scary crash.  I hope he recovers fully and quickly.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/20 10:14 p.m.

After watching the crash on TV, I'm glad to hear the news. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/18/20 1:46 a.m.

Very nasty  hit. Seeing how the halo deformed and the entire car buckled when it was t-boned by the other car makes me wonder how comprised the structure was after the initial wall impact. The good news is they sit so low in those cars that I dont believe his head was right up there by the roll cage. 

Very glad to hear it's not life threatening but I'm even more hopeful that he avoided a serious TBI. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/18/20 6:25 a.m.

Wish it made me feel better, but "serious but not life threatening" just feels like another Wickens type situation. I hope I'm wrong.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/18/20 7:20 a.m.

I haven't been following NASCAR for a few years now, but since they went to FI, couldn't they just use different computers for the cars on the super speedways? 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
2/18/20 7:27 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

Yes, and they do, along with different aero for speedways and short tracks, and the tweaks they can make to them along with that. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 7:47 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

This is why I hate plate racing; whoever it is at NASCAR who thinks it's OK should be kicked in the crouch. It's a dangerous profession but making it more so makes me angry. 

I hope the guy is OK. 

I am a huge NASCAR fan boy. I have been since the late 1970s and your statement is so spot on and is why I have been watching less and less of it. This I the first time in many years that I voluntarily did not watch the 500.  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/20 8:05 a.m.

The cage, the location of the driver seat, the seat itself and the head/neck restraint may have saved a life last night. That was some scary E36 M3. Seeing Jeff Gordon and Mike Joy's last update sure felt ominous. I went to bed fearing he didn't survive, so the news is good so far. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/18/20 10:03 a.m.
dean1484 said:
Tom1200 said:

I hope the guy is OK. 

I am a huge NASCAR fan boy. I have been since the late 1970s and your statement is so spot on and is why I have been watching less and less of it. This I the first time in many years that I voluntarily did not watch the 500.  

As someone who doesn't pay attention to NASCAR, how can they keep speeds down and the racing not-so-close to help prevent "the big one." Can anything be done? We've been hearing about "the big one" for 3+ decades. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
2/18/20 10:09 a.m.

Narrower and harder tires, less downforce, less drag. 

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5sLSX9LqMrH7BW5J2oYzdKEU8B14jqi2MVq35tNG5NL7OjeywuvIWlyM8gxIQhHI