• 944 turbo
  • SLP camaros and firebirds
  • Pontiac G8 GXP
  • Pontiac GTO '04 - '06

that's all that hit me right now

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/18/09 6:53 a.m.

Pontiac Fiero! 1988 GT or Formula are the best. 85-87 GT second. 86-87 SE third (very rare). Indy 4th. 85 SE w/V-6, 88 4cyl. 1988 w/ factory t-top FTW. Yellow and Blue are the rarest colors and have a great positive effect on value.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
9/18/09 8:00 a.m.

84-89 911

C4 ZR1

03-04 Cobra

Solstice Coupe GXP

97+ NSX

I reject the Fiero, because as cool as it is, and as much of a performance bargain as it is, I don't think it's stain will ever be surpassed. Look at how much Corvair values have... uhmm.... done nothing at all.

I am hesitant about any F body, because I think the newer F bodies are going to surpass them continually in every way. Nobody is going to fondly remember any 02 Camaro, when an 09 can be had for the same money with better looks, better interior and more power.

G8 isn't a bad suggestion, but I think a Solstice is a better idea.

Keep 'em coming.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
9/18/09 10:08 a.m.

I like the 04 Cobra convertibles, because they made so few. That and the Solstice seem to make a lot of sense because they are fairly new and on just one or two owners. The NSX may be too pricey.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
9/18/09 5:41 p.m.

why a 84-89 911 instead of a 993?

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
9/23/09 11:37 a.m.

M coupe?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/23/09 12:26 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: why a 84-89 911 instead of a 993?

993s are still going down in value, at least over here. They also made a lot more of them and they're the more modern ones instead of a classic. 964 and older a pretty DIYable, the later you go the less they are.

84-89 aka the G50 cars are the last ones of the traditional/classic torsion bar suspension ones but equipped with the later/better/more sought after G50 gearbox instead of the Porsche 915. Not that the 915 is bad but you need less mechanical sympathy and less expensive oil in a G50.

I'd consider anything from SC onwards for "going up in value" purposes.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
9/23/09 12:36 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: the 03/04 Cobra is an interesting idea. It's far newer than I anticipated being collectible. Does anyone have any information regarding year VS model year VS price for mustangs?

20 years seems to be when most car prices bottom out. By this time, the cheapskates have taken over, running many of the good examples into the ground. The reduction in supply is really apparent now, and the asking price moves up for nice examples.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
9/23/09 12:37 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

84-86 still had the 915.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
9/23/09 12:43 p.m.

CL 85 GN

Could be a scam, but thats cheap if its in OK shape. Plenty of Regals in junkyards to donate parts.

andrave
andrave Reader
9/23/09 2:20 p.m.

I thought the Hertz shelby mustangs were a gimmick when they came out, but judging from the prices on the old Hertz Shelby's, the new ones have potential and apparently values are pretty high on them already.
If you really wanted to buy one just to keep it and not drive it, that might be what I'd go for.

joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
9/23/09 2:42 p.m.

I have a 1988 944 Turbo S. One of only 400 or so cars sent to the USA with a Turbo S options. One of only like 100 in red. I bought it in 1997 with 90k miles for 12k. Nice car and stock, but not perfect either. Right now after some track time and street driving it has 137k on it. Still a nice car. Value maybe 10k right now and 13k last year before the markets tanked Not bad considering everything.

I feel if a 944 Turbo is EVER work anything it will be Turbo S. Those were the most power 944 Turbo's ever sent to the USA and had the best of everything. They were track test to be faster than a 911 turbo of same model year. Plus they are a great value these days. However I still don't know if it will ever make them worth something. I think you can buy a solid car now. Drive it and then in a few years sell it for what you paid. Could it be work more in 15-20 years. Maybe, but it all depends on what is considered "cool" at that time. I plan on keeping my Turbo S for the long haul. I have already had it for 12 years. Longer than my house, longer than my child and longer than even my wife. Still I bought it because it liked it in 97 and still like it now. I can't sell it and find a car replace it that to me comes close. I could If I spent 30k, but I don't have that money. So I will hang on to for forseealbe future.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/23/09 3:01 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: CL 85 GN Could be a scam, but thats cheap if its in OK shape. Plenty of Regals in junkyards to donate parts.

That is a good price for a Grand National, but they didn't get fast until 86. The earlier ones were only as quick as the 442 / Monte SS. Once they added the intercooler in 86 they became special. (look for the 3rd tail-light, and the uglier wheels, that's how you can tell the later cars)

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/23/09 6:23 p.m.

How about a first generation Prius?

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
9/24/09 9:36 a.m.

I think we have seen the close of the muscle car era. Starting with the new GTO, Detroit brought out some cool, RWD V-8 cars but Obama is not going to let Detroit build any more. These cars are modern, fairly reliable, with more horsepower and torque than the original muscle cars, with far better usability and comfort. Cars such as a GTO, G8, and Chrysler 300 R/T and Magnum. These are cool cars with great power and decent handling, that look good and have few compromises. And the window in which they were produced is pretty small. Not a lot were built and I don't think they'll build anything comparable any time in the distantly foreseeable future. Even sedans will be sought after, and I think the Magnum will be particularly sought after.

Other cars? 911SC and Carrera. Classic 911 look and feel. I've been thinking about the old question, "What's a real Porsche?" and I've decided the air-cooled cars are their own beast, a special subset of Porsches. They are unique because of their feel. SCs and Carreras have that feel while the later cars began to lose that feel. That feel is unique, or at least very rare, among all manufacturers and no modern car has it. [Although an Elise is in that direction.] There will always be people who want that feel and the supply of cars with it diminishing.

It seems like a trope, but E36 M3. If they are so awesome now and so desired, demand will continue.

Not in response to the original poster, but to others following this thread: Things to remember about the stocks versus collectibles (especially cars) dilemma: 1. Stocks are almost free to own. Cars must be maintained, insured and stored. 2. Cars physically deteriorate over time. Stocks don't. 3. Most stocks are easy to value at any time (look it up online). Cars are much more difficult to value. 4. Selling stock is generally fast and easy and cheap. Finding the right buyer for a car is time-consuming and expensive. [I think Barrett-Jackson, for example, charges 15% plus a fee.] 5. There is a very large, extremely well-funded industry picking stocks and you have to compete with them. Nice thing about collectibles is that you're competition is not as difficult.

David

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/09 9:46 a.m.
Cotton wrote: In reply to BoxheadTim: 84-86 still had the 915.

Yeah, sorry - obviously lacking caffeine when I wrote that.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
9/24/09 10:48 a.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: I think we have seen the close of the muscle car era. Starting with the new GTO, Detroit brought out some cool, RWD V-8 cars but Obama is not going to let Detroit build any more. David

Obama? Never mind that gas is $3.50 a gallon for Premium right now here in CA and was higher than $4.00 just a while ago and oil is supposedly going to run out eventually according to people in the know.

I'm not a political person but I think you too easily throw blame around and forget recent history that lead us to where we are now.

Certain trends repeat. It happened in the 70s, it happened in the early 90s (for other reasons) and it happens again now. It will happen again in the future.

We don't really need any new muscle cars. At least I don't. I have my gas guzzling fun car. I could use a better daily driver that is fun to drive and still gets good gas mileage.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
9/24/09 12:05 p.m.

No politics, please.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=65554&conversationId=21629

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=85850&conversationId=21629

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=168983&conversationId=21629

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=66865&conversationId=22045

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=170802&conversationId=21629

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=170177&conversationId=22125

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=153404&conversationId=44110

Discuss

Still out there: why a Carrera rather than a 993?

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
10/5/09 9:10 a.m.

I guess I'll pop this up to the top to see if anyone is still interested. No biggie, this is very un-grm-ie.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
10/5/09 9:19 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I don't have anything for you on why Carrera vs. 993. I think the 993 will be a smart buy too and it's a hell of a car. I will probably pick one up eventually, but keep the Carrera too.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RA2MVdLCTrn7Xlyu73qAfRVA2iB3ImGuMtYpkwlIfBihpz8HpP1549fTL5ndkBmE