Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
4/17/18 3:03 p.m.

What I’m talking about here is building a competent autocross car off eBay parts. And I’m not talking about used parts either. I’m talking about the Chinese crap that makes us lay awake in bed at night. 

My guess would be an 88-91 civic, or 89-94 240sx as the test mule. Since 90% of the Chinese parts on eBay are for those two cars. Maybe a Miata, but I’ve not seen much on there for a Miata beyond coilovers. 

Many thoughts on how much you can do and for how much? I think 5k could get it done. I’m just thinking on lunch break here. Nothing serious guys...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/18 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse :

FWIW I’m planning on building a fairly competitive STS Miata for ~$4k all-in using good components. I’ve not priced Civic or 240sx parts, but I’d think you could build it for $3-$4k including purchase of the car, especially a Civic. 

I think the cheap shocks/struts would just be a waste of money though?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/18 3:27 p.m.

I'm thinking some of that ebay stuff might actually make the car LESS competent for autox.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/17/18 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Keith is right. unless you really dig for deals and spend a bit more then you are thinking.  I would rather have OEM components and Koni shocks.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/18 3:56 p.m.

Also, isn't this pretty much why eBay sponsored the Challenge at least once or twice?

I think I'd rather just pick up some poly bumpstops, pull the springs and fit the biggest, nastiest wheels and tires I could under it.

You could play with corner weights by trimming the bumpstops.

The rest is just playing with alignment, tire pressures and tightening the nut behind the steering wheel.

This is Autocross, not drifting, hillclimbing, road racing, etc.  The speeds are fairly low and its all about transitional speed, so more like a Kart.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/17/18 4:02 p.m.

We put Skunk 2 upper control arms on the back of the Integra chump cars, and broke all four of them in the first 24 hour event.  Cut and welded stock stuff is better than aluminum junk.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
4/17/18 6:19 p.m.

Right. The main components I’m talking about are for adjustability in suspension and power adders. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/18 6:28 p.m.
ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/17/18 6:52 p.m.

There is a guy with a janky ebay turbo kit on a 3 series making nearly 700whp.  I have personally known someone who has slapped a sub $500 turbo kit on a Honda and made nearly 300whp without much trouble.  With zero fab work on his part.

I don't know that I'd trust one for track use, or even long term DD usage, but I imagine you could get one to be reliable for a few drag passes and some autocrossing.  Especially with some extra handiwork.

$500 beater + $500 boost + some ebaycoilovers and I think you'd have something pretty competitive.  Those coilovers usually suck a lot, but tend to perform ok on a very smooth surface.

Like all things challenge related, I still imagine it would come down to someone with the time, fab skills, and energy to execute well.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/18 7:41 p.m.

Peak power's easy. Driveable power's a lot harder. Durable, driveable power - hardest of all.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
4/17/18 7:45 p.m.

I'll sell you my 89 Civic and it already has ground control coil overs on it...

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
4/17/18 8:17 p.m.

@Stefan there is already have a class that uses bump stops for suspension, it's called Formula 500 and they as F-Modified at autocross. They're fast and cheap, I'm into mine for just under $4,000 and there were 103 drivers that finished behind me on Sunday (We don't need to mention the 3 shifter karts that spanked me).

Well I wouldn't brag about it I'm sure there is some cheap Chinese stuff on my Datsun. I get get lots of stuff from Rockauto.

As the car weighs 1671lbs I use off the shelf street car brake pads and shoes. The pads were Beck Arnley, I don't remember what brand the shoes are. The brakes are 280ZX calipers with 240Z alloy drums so they are very understressed. The wheel cylinders came from Rockauto.

The radiator a 98 Sentra unit ordered via Rockauto. 

I have no idea where Fel-Pro, Standard, Hastings and SKF have there stuff made.

I am using Koni dampers. 

As as driver talent makes a big difference at local autocross I'm sure a good driver with junk parts can do well. A friend runs a clapper E30 that is a collection of parts and does well with it.

Stefan
4/17/18 9:10 p.m.

Yeah, I know about F440 and F500.  I grew up at our local road course and helped crew for a FF for many, many years.  They are amazingly quick, though everyone HATES the F440’s, even more than the PP rotaries :)

I was speaking of the recent Tercel GRM Challenge car that ran bumpstops instead of traditional cook springs.  It seemed to work well, just needed more time to sort a bit further.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
4/17/18 9:28 p.m.

There are some thing's I'd be ok running as no-name ebay stuff. Cheap-o "cold air kit" to throw on my daily beater truck (mostly to make more noise) for instance. I'd avoid the Maxpeeding Rods though.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
4/17/18 10:49 p.m.

Stefan not sure if it was 16 or 17 but F500/F-mod the most annoying class at Lincoln. As someone born in Brooklynn to parents who grew up in Queens I'm OK with that. Also as a former bike racer who raced nothing but 2 stroke GP bikes I love two strokes. No doubt it's annoying to see someone with a car that costs 1/3 of yours turning faster lap times.

Even after 4 years I'm amazed at how well the bump stops work. Can't remember which book but in either Prepare To or Tune To Win,  Carroll Smith talks about shaping bump stops as part of dialing in suspension.

Back to cheap China parts a couple of the Datsun guys have used the 3 core aluminum radiators made in China and had no problems whatsoever.

Stefan
4/18/18 12:12 a.m.

I think it’s the combination of the 2-stroke motor and the CVT, so it’s like The Blitz with buzz bombs, only they are flying in formation.

At least snowmobiles change throttle position often enough that it isn’t that bad.

Damned quick though.

One of The Shadow CAN-AM cars ran similar suspension and huge V8’s :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZkNx5rUpZ02oAPK6GkhqqyOlERNf0wmxFZ3LWUVAa8di4j3nwvpF8L9DceIMUdhA