DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
7/15/14 2:30 p.m.

So now we've reached decision time. My '91 Civic (aka "Grumpy") is up and running, I ordered the parts today to replace the timing belt and pulley, water pump, crank and cam seals. After this is complete and the alignment is done I will be at the crossroads of keep (and continue to improve), or sell and use the profits to invest in something else (I would love to get another E30, or another Miata, or get an old Z car).

So far, I've invested about $1000 into Grumpy, and I'm pretty sure I could sell him for at least $1500 (if not a bit more). That's ground-floor Miata and E30 money around here.

The Civic is cheaper to run and easier to work on than the E30 (but isn't as quick or stylish -- IMO) and it has more seats and space than the Miata (but, in current trim, isn't as quick, or stylish -- again, my opinion). Also, Grumpy is drivable right now whereas an $1800 E30 or Miata may need more investment to bring it up to par. Obviously, any car is going to get more investment, but am I going to be starting on a level playing field, or putting myself behind the curve of where my current car is?

I'm not totally in love with the Civic (either its looks or drivetrain layout (this is the first FWD I've ever owned)), but I don't look at it in the driveway and wish I didn't have to see and drive it everyday either.

Still, this is a third car, so it can afford to be out of the loop for a bit of time and not effect the day-to-day life of the Dustoff household. Decisions and choices...

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
7/15/14 2:54 p.m.
DustoffDave wrote: I'm not totally in love with the Civic (either its looks or drivetrain layout (this is the first FWD I've ever owned)), but I don't look at it in the driveway and wish I didn't have to see and drive it everyday either.

I think you have your answer right there. I love those Civics, we run one in LeMons, but maybe it's time for the "answer".

spear322
spear322 New Reader
7/15/14 3:54 p.m.

If you were not on the other side of the country I would say sell it to me and get the miata.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/15/14 7:36 p.m.

Sell it and buy a RWD car. It's the only way.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
7/15/14 7:39 p.m.

If it's the third car then get something you will get excited about. I would get the e30 just because it would be most valuable after repairs and love.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/14 6:37 a.m.

Take your time on this one. Maybe drive the Honda for a few months to be sure you really want to bail out of it?

It sounds like your answer is E30. There is just something I like about those cars and they actually seem practical to me.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
7/16/14 11:45 a.m.

Maybe it's my old prejudices against FWD (which I know are ill-founded and I am trying to change), but I'm just not connecting with this car like I have with previous vehicles (especially my E30 and Miata -- I know it's totally cliche, but for good reason).

But, you could be right -- all I've done with this car in the past three months I've owned it is work on fixing its issues. I haven't really had the chance to enjoy it at all. So, maybe I'll just hang on to it and not invest a whole bunch of money into it over the next month or so and give it a chance to be likeable.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MvK92J5eRaGPaEcJ4kh8yxzpTReLmLhHTXUuDQTgudMFF8q01iYy9r2x1OSzUYUY