1 2
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/15/14 11:16 a.m.

As many of you know, I've recently purchased a 1981 Plymouth Champ. This particular car has been sitting in a Chicago garage since ......gulp.....1988! It runs and drives-- but will obviously need a bit of preventative maintenance in order to make it reliable. I've purchased a metric crap-ton of parts from Rock Auto and will be preparing the mighty Champ for it's voyage. Fortunately parts have been stupid cheap! ( brake rotor-- $6, set of tires-- $158! etc.)

I'm headed to the Midwest tomorrow on a one-way ticket, and will be attempting to drive this "Twin-Stick" car home to Florida on July 28th-29th. I'll first drive it to Michigan for the Motor State Challenge (no, it won't be competing! ) and then over to Plymouth MI --- how fitting!----for the Concours D'LeMons. I think I've got a pretty good shot at some sort of an award at the LeMons show.

http://www.motorstate.com/mschallenge.htm

http://www.concoursdlemons.com/index.php/michigan-2014/

Over the years I've come to view this board as a safety net when traveling cross country. There always seems to be someone willing to help--- regardless of where you happen to be in the U.S. or Canada.

So---- if you'd like to be one of my "safe houses" in case of catastrophic failure along the way, please let me know. I'd love to have a list of places / friends that I can seek help from--- if needed on this journey. Basically if something breaks along the way--- it would be handy to know someone nearby with a floor-jack, set of tools and a friendly attitude. I'll be traveling South from either the Detroit area, or Chicagoland (not sure yet). I'm going to try and avoid the interstate, and take secondary roads if possible.

So--- if you are in between Chicago and Florida, and would be willing to help--- let me know! Hopefully you won't hear from me--- but it would be nice to have the piece of mind that the GRM message board "safety net" provides!

Feel free to either post here--- or pm me.

Thanks!

Joe

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/15/14 11:51 a.m.

Don't know how far east you're coming, but I'm just a few minutes off of I95 in Newark, Delaware. About halfway between Philly and Baltimore, and about 40 minutes south of the east end of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. PM me if you need more precise location than that.

Joe Gearin
7/15/14 11:55 a.m.

Thanks---

If I end up that far East, I'll be seriously off track! I'll be heading South near I-65 through IN, Ky, TN, and into AL-- then over to GA and finally FL.

I appreciate the offer though!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
7/15/14 12:00 p.m.

I-75 through Central Georgia - I'm about 5 miles off exit 142 (between Warner Robins and Perry), about a 2 hours south of Atlanta. Shop with welder and tools, air mattress in a spare room if you need it. I don't have a trailer or lift, but I have friends that do. PM me for contact info if you want it.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
7/15/14 12:02 p.m.

I'd be happy to help. I'm about 4 miles north of your house–in Ormond Beach, FL.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/15/14 12:04 p.m.

I'm in Brighton, MI, not too far off your path, and I'd absolutely love to help. One of my early cars was a 1980 twin-stick Dodge Colt, and a friend of mine had an 81 Champ at the same time. We had some fun in those little buggies.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
7/15/14 12:07 p.m.

Oh, I'm totally in for whatever you need if you're coming near Louisville, KY. Truck, trailer, ill-equipped garage, and spare cars you can take home with you.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/15/14 12:08 p.m.

I'm in Columbus, OH if you need help or just want to abandon it here on your way through.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/15/14 12:33 p.m.

I don't know what path you are taking through Georgia, but I'm 30 min to an hour north of Atlanta and don't mind driving into town to help if needed. PM me for contact info if you'll be passing through.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/15/14 12:56 p.m.

I'm in West Detroit, there's a quiet shaded parking lot behind my building and I have a drill press.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
7/15/14 1:00 p.m.

Maybe I'm not following, but are you flying, fixing, and then driving home, or is this a fly-and-drive with the fixing later when you arrive home in FL? Either way I approve of this. I have a friend who bought an 83 I think Colt in root-beer brown metallic a little while ago, and I love it. His is an automatic, but still cool Mitsu magic.

Sorry I can't help in your route as I am way too far east, but I applaud your efforts.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/14 1:25 p.m.

I'm in Pittsburgh, so if you decide that you simply cannot resist the urge to see three rivers (spoiler alert: it's two rivers coming together) then I am your man. You may get close if you decide to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway (35 mph the whole freaking way. Might be the Top Speed of the Scamp...) but I am willing to travel into Southern Ohio if you really find yourself in a pinch. I mean, to see a Plymouth Scamp Twin Stick? I'm In!

Joe Gearin
7/15/14 1:27 p.m.

Thanks for the responses guys! (well except for that Suddard smart-ass )

The plan is to spend a day working on the Champ while I'm up North, and then attempt the drive to Michigan, and then home. I appreciate the offers---- they may come in handy!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/15/14 1:31 p.m.

I'm at the beginning of your journey (nw suburbs of Chicago) and have all? of the things you listed as helpful. Which probably doesn't help much since I think you have all that covered in this area

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
7/15/14 2:10 p.m.

I'm less than two miles off of I94, just west of Ann Arbor. If you need any assistance from here to the west side of the state I can help. If you're travelling on a weekend I can even get to you with a trailer and could clear a spot in the garage if need be.

Joe Gearin
7/15/14 2:19 p.m.

Thanks guys! Yeah, since I grew up in the suburbs (Glendale Heights and Crystal Lake) I still have friends I can call upon up there. I'll actually be doing the preventative maintenance at my buddy's shop in Rockford before I head out.

After I leave the friendly confines of Chicagoland though....... the unknown awaits!

After doing countless roadtrips in modern cars with bluetooth, I-pod connectivity, touch screens and a bazillion computer nannies--- it will be interesting to travel in this little tin can. The one concession I may make to modernity will be Garmin. I'll have one on me anyways--- would be kinda silly not to use it. (especially when searching for interesting secondary roads)

I'll be rocking out to the Champ's stock AM/FM radio--- until the speakers blow at least! I mean, they already blow--- but they may blow-up. I'm thinking I'll get more than my share of "classic" rock and roll, with an equal measure of Jesus radio. (especially South of the Mason-Dixon line)

I may also bring a CB---- just to enhance the early 80's vibe! Let me know if anyone wants to be Snowman to my Bandit!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
7/15/14 2:21 p.m.

I suspect I'm in the most central location of the trip. I-75 runs right through Lexington (although Highway 25 would be a more enjoyable drive as it parallels the interstate)

Couch/room, beer,grilled meat, and a friendly face (and a fair shop). Good luck!!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/15/14 2:24 p.m.

Should you detour by 1 hour off I-75 in Northern Ohio to visit the what many call the best Amusement Park for Roller Coasters then you will be right in my neighborhood and I will be more than happy to help in any way.

This thread accentuates the need for a "member map." On one of the old versions of the board there was such a map. It would be good to have again.
I do not know how but I envision a Google Map with pins where members live so that from the road, you can pull up your route and see exactly who you pass or who is near.
There you go, run with it...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
7/15/14 2:39 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Should you detour by 1 hour off I-75 in Northern Ohio to visit the what many call the best Amusement Park for Roller Coasters then you will be right in my neighborhood and I will be more than happy to help in any way. This thread accentuates the need for a "member map." On one of the old versions of the board there was such a map. It would be good to have again. I do not know how but I envision a Google Map with pins where members live so that from the road, you can pull up your route and see exactly who you pass or who is near. There you go, run with it...

oooh, Kings Island rocks! Just NEVER EVER go on the weekends during the summer.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/15/14 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin: I can't help from the West Coast of Florida. All I can do is offer encouragement. Go, Joe, go! You can do it! Those are solid little cars, and this one looks surprisingly good in the photos. I trust we will be reading all about your adventures in an upcoing issue. How about a comparison with, say, a modern Mini?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
7/15/14 3:09 p.m.

I'm off 465 in Indianapolis and Ben is off 65 South just out of the Indy loop. I can provide a rescue or a repair space in a pinch. Not sure I can lend too much of a hand since I have a family medical issue going on right now.

Joe Gearin
7/15/14 3:19 p.m.

Thanks Danny!

Unfortunately, it looks better in the photos than in person! As a many time $200x Challenge veteran I'm sure you can relate!

Chances are good that a story will come out of this......as long as there are interesting adventures along the way. Driving a 33 year old economy car this sort of distance should produce something worth writing about. Hopefully it doesn't include fire, incarceration, or abduction from crazed hillbillies! Although those would certainly spice up the story!

I drove it briefly a couple of weeks ago when I was in IL for a charity kart race. It ran fine, but seemed down on power. (I know, I know....it doesn't make any power) I think a plugged cat, or muffler may be the culprit. I'm eager to get it as good as it can be---- and enjoy the Twin-Stick power!

These things are pretty tiny--- a modern MINI would tower over it. ( and absolutely slaughter it in all performance categories) Those MINI's are so basic though.......with only 6 forward gears........absolutely primitive!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/15/14 3:49 p.m.

i've got you covered from Ann Arbor to Toledo.

Joe Gearin
7/15/14 3:52 p.m.

Rock on! This is going to be a fun trip!

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
7/15/14 5:05 p.m.
Duke wrote: Don't know how far east you're coming, but I'm just a few minutes off of I95 in Newark, Delaware. About halfway between Philly and Baltimore, and about 40 minutes south of the east end of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. PM me if you need more precise location than that.

I'm a little north of Duke, so if for some reason you are this far off course I'm up for giving a hand. I have a car trailer and you are welcome to use my shop to fix the Champ.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1dS0lkzDSU4TlawP26DSAcKldgy3FljFBuk2qtxe1AlTrOvwh7ZLdK2JP7D1Nod7