1 2
oldtin
oldtin UberDork
7/15/14 5:12 p.m.

I'm in Chicagoland, have family in Louisville, KY if you're going IL to FL and in a jam. I make the trip fairly often so if you needed...

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
7/15/14 9:36 p.m.
Powar wrote: Oh, I'm totally in for whatever you need if you're coming near Louisville, KY. Truck, trailer, ill-equipped garage, and spare cars you can take home with you.

I'll throw in a moderately well equiped garage if Tim can tow you here. I also own a tool truck, so there's that too.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/15/14 9:56 p.m.

I'm about 40 miles west of Nashville. I have tools, beer, and all kinds of things we can raise hell in to make sure we get nothing productive done!

Powar
Powar SuperDork
7/16/14 6:55 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
Powar wrote: Oh, I'm totally in for whatever you need if you're coming near Louisville, KY. Truck, trailer, ill-equipped garage, and spare cars you can take home with you.
I'll throw in a moderately well equiped garage if Tim can tow you here. I also own a tool truck, so there's that too.

With our powers combined...

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/16/14 9:01 a.m.

Thanks guys! I'm about to jump into a flying tin can headed for Chicago. I'll be at the HAWK vintage race in Elkhart Lake this weekend. (come by the GRM booth and say hello to Carl Heideman and I! ) After that I'll be at the Motor State Challenge, and then over to grab glory at the Concours D'LeMons, and a perhaps a little less glory at the Concours D'Elegance of the Americas. Then I'm pointing the Champ South and headed home.

Thanks again for the "safety net". It's awesome to know that help is available along the way. (as well as a cold beer or two! )

nokincy
nokincy New Reader
7/16/14 9:07 a.m.

I'm in the NW burbs, and drive the Chicago to Lexington, KY trip somewhat regularly. If headed down through Lexington from Chicago I'd avoid Louisville and head towards Cincinnati. Good luck!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/16/14 9:28 a.m.

I am also in the Columbus area.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
7/19/14 9:17 p.m.
nokincy wrote: I'm in the NW burbs, and drive the Chicago to Lexington, KY trip somewhat regularly. If headed down through Lexington from Chicago I'd avoid Louisville and head towards Cincinnati. Good luck!

Nope. He said he wants to stay off the interstate. If he breaks down south of Louisville he's in the middle of bourbon country. And lets face it, being broken down is better when there's bourbon!

mapper
mapper Reader
7/19/14 9:59 p.m.

I'm 20 minutes south of Atlanta and have a garage full of tools, welder, etc. Call or text if your in my area and need assistance. Phone number has been PMd.

Steve

Joe Gearin
7/24/14 6:53 p.m.

A little update----

The Champ has made it to South Haven Michigan!

I left Rockford this morning, and besides having to deal with horrendous Chicago traffic, the little Plymouth did just fine. I did notice the fuel hose feeding the tank from the filler has a split---causing gas to cascade like a waterfall when the tank is fully filled. ( not a good thing) I"m going to attempt a fix tomorrow--- worst case, I just won't fill the tank to capacity for the rest of the journey.

For a tiny little car, this thing can swallow a lot of gear. I even loaded up my old BMX bike that my buddy's kids had been using.

So far......so good! Thanks to all that offered to help!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/24/14 7:19 p.m.

In Gainesville, FL. Should you need help here, even close to home, I'm happy to help!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/31/14 10:37 a.m.

Glad to see you made it home. We missed you at the Concours de Lemons, though!

Joe Gearin
7/31/14 2:31 p.m.

Whew!

Just got home late last night. Thanks to everyone who offered help---- it was great to have that piece of mind when I was in the middle of nowhere and started to hear strange noises coming from the car. Note to self-----there are LOTS of funny noises that come from a 1981 econobox!

Special thanks go to AngryP and 16VCorey who were pit stops along my way. I even got to experience Angry's sweet E12 BMW---- although his BMW gave my Champ a bit of foreshadowing with it's half-shaft issues. (trying to steal the Champ's thunder no doubt---more on that later) Speaking of thunder--- the Champ withstood tornadoes, golf-ball-sized hail, high winds, and a variety of minor mechanical issues. It wasn't always pleasant, or safe, or sane.....but we made it!

Yes it was a bummer to miss the Concours D'LeMons---- even more of a bummer to spend a full day at the DMV--- more later on that too.

Here's Mr. Angry performing a roadside fix with the help from a certain Mr. Johnny law. The officer went above and beyond, and was a perfect example of what "Protect and Serve" is supposed to be all about. Angry's BMW was also an ideal example of what owning old cars can be all about!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/14 4:34 p.m.

well, at least you got my good side!

and yes, major props to Officer Champine of the Pleasant Ridge Police Dept for:
- hitting the red and blues (to keep us from getting run over);
- hitting the spotlights (to light up the roadside band-aid application);
- suggesting we leave the car in the PD parking lot to wait for AAA;
- unlocking said PD so we could use the restroom;
- and giving us a couple bottles of water.

even with the breakdown, i'd say we had a great time cruisin' Woodward!

Joe Gearin
8/1/14 9:39 a.m.

Absolutely agreed Pat! Officer Champine epitomized the "Protect and Serve" motto. He was a class act. All officers should follow his lead.

Thanks for showing me around Woodward / Pontiac. The "technical difficulties" just added to the fun!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
8/1/14 7:22 p.m.

New car = no mechanical challenges = no inconvenience = boring = no editorial content

GRM car = mechanical challenges = adventure/inconvenience = great interest = editorial content.

Honestly, as with the Merc and Edsel, you could get at least one feature article a year just out of driving older cars improbable distances every now and again. Now please, lather, rinse and repeat.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
8/1/14 7:58 p.m.

This beautiful automobile better be at the Challenge.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
1/4/17 10:04 a.m.

Bump for you Joe...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KMK5i1Y9N7Wl6tTAEfSlzjvMbsxHFDb53HXwZw9VqMttibP7vJVkIxsCoUTtJEwR