1 2 3
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/4/14 5:29 a.m.

In reply to chaparral:

Great post! You must've been on the Debate Team!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/14 6:24 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: As said in other thread, the Audi Quattro dominated so much it had rules changed around it, then it still walked away with hat tricks, they gave tons of advantage to other makes, they still win. *snip*

Hey Trackmouse, fixed that for you...

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/4/14 8:47 a.m.

From WiKi:

"The Type 35 was phenomenally successful, winning over 1,000 races in its time. It took the Grand Prix World Championship in 1926 after winning 351 races and setting 47 records in the two prior years. At its height, Type 35s averaged 14 race wins per week. Bugatti won the Targa Florio for five consecutive years, from 1925 through 1929, with the Type 35."

Or the 962.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/14 9:01 a.m.

whichever one is in my garage at the time

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
12/4/14 9:43 a.m.

It's easy to think along nostalgic lines when a question like this come up but in terms of development and sheer domination I'd say the prototype Audis at Le Mans.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
12/4/14 9:51 a.m.

I'm going to say this one; Al Cosentino's Fiat Abarth 1000. He was undeniably an odd guy, but he racked up 51 wins out of 53 starts, often times beating the A Sedan big boys with his tiny D Sedan Fiat. In fact, he got the car banned by the SCCA.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
12/4/14 9:54 a.m.

The Porsche 911 has more than 20,000 race victories.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
12/4/14 10:09 a.m.

My other two nominees are the Porsche 917-30 in all it's 1,000hp glory. It effectively killed Can Am.

And the Nissan GTP.

They also have something in common. The Nissan broke the 917's long standing track record at Road Atlanta some 15 or so years later. Pre track change of course.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/14 11:48 a.m.

The greatest race car wasn't a car.

Bert Munro's 1920 Scout.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
12/4/14 12:11 p.m.

I've no argument for "greatest," but I love Smokey Yunick's Floor Shifter Special:

Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
12/4/14 1:12 p.m.
noddaz wrote:
Trackmouse wrote: As said in other thread, the Audi Quattro dominated so much it had rules changed around it, then it still walked away with hat tricks, they gave tons of advantage to other makes, they still win. *snip*
Hey Trackmouse, fixed that for you...

I wouldn't say "fixed" but I do agree, in the same way as the skyline the Quattro dominated.

danvan
danvan GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/5/14 12:38 a.m.

Maybe not the greatest but I love the old group7 CANAM cars few rules big power big tires big balls to drive them

92dxman
92dxman Dork
12/5/14 3:15 p.m.

Might not be the best per say but I think the Audi Quattro Coupe rally car changed the game in the early 80s bringing all wheel drive/4wd into the game.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
12/5/14 3:54 p.m.

The top car on my list goes to the McLaren MP4/4 won every race but one for the season. Clean, simple looking car, and in the hands of Prost and Senna, demolished the competition. Realistically, since this is about the greatest car of ALL time, it is hard to go against the Porsche 962. Such a dominant car for so long, I'd have to give it the top spot.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/5/14 3:57 p.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock: Wow Nick. I felt sure you'd go for the GT-40

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/5/14 4:00 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: I've no argument for "greatest," but I love Smokey Yunick's Floor Shifter Special:

One of my favorite cars of all time! A few years ago I was geeking out to it during the Amelia Island Concours. I almost lost my mind when the caretaker (it lives at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum) asked me if I wanted to sit in it! Damn straight I do!

Bobby Johns (the driver) must have had cajones the size of basketballs to drive this thing. I"m 5'8" on a good day, and I could barely squeeze into the cockpit. My knees were in my face, the pedal-box was impossibly small, and the only gauges were mounted on the main fuselage---meaning you had to take your eyes completely off of the road to check them. The steering wheel was square, and mounted at an angle like a city bus. I can't imagine driving this thing at 170+ mph! Awesome outside the box thinking.....but also just plain crazy!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/14 4:50 p.m.

TAParker
TAParker Reader
12/5/14 6:13 p.m.

This was the veiw most had of the MP4/4.......GOAT

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/5/14 9:29 p.m.
Rupert wrote: In reply to Nick_Comstock: Wow Nick. I felt sure you'd go for the GT-40

My Ford hate stops abruptly at 1971, Fords built prior to that are acceptable

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
12/6/14 12:30 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:
JamesMcD wrote: I've no argument for "greatest," but I love Smokey Yunick's Floor Shifter Special:
One of my favorite cars of all time! A few years ago I was geeking out to it during the Amelia Island Concours. I almost lost my mind when the caretaker (it lives at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum) asked me if I wanted to sit in it! Damn straight I do! Bobby Johns (the driver) must have had cajones the size of basketballs to drive this thing. I"m 5'8" on a good day, and I could barely squeeze into the cockpit. My knees were in my face, the pedal-box was impossibly small, and the only gauges were mounted on the main fuselage---meaning you had to take your eyes completely off of the road to check them. The steering wheel was square, and mounted at an angle like a city bus. I can't imagine driving this thing at 170+ mph! Awesome outside the box thinking.....but also just plain crazy!

I'm glad someone else likes it as much as I do. In his book, Smokey said he was inspired to build it by the experimental asymmetrical twin fuselage Blohm and Voss nazi aircraft he saw fly overhead near the end of WWII. (That's not to say I think it's cool because of a link to nazis - that's just an interesting part of the back story.)

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
12/6/14 9:11 a.m.

My personal favorite, I love the old Lotus, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Chaparals. Highly innovated for their time and just completely awesome!

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/6/14 12:29 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: It's easy to think along nostalgic lines when a question like this come up but in terms of development and sheer domination I'd say the prototype Audis at Le Mans.

Specifically the R8, which won Le Mans 5 times and only missed 6 because they built a coupe version of it, painted it green, and renamed it a Bentley in 2003. The other R-cars have done well, but nothing like the R8.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/6/14 12:44 p.m.

Old yeller is one of my favorites.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
12/6/14 3:46 p.m.

I will post what I posted on the CMS forum:

The answer is Formula Ford; this allowed thousands of people to get a chance to experience a single seater and lap at a pace road car drivers could only dream of. It also made race driving schools what they are. My pick for the chassis is Swift as these were the first big leap in performance.

Tom
slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
12/6/14 9:03 p.m.

More nominees:

Ford 999 - Did a lot for Ford, and that did a lot for racing worldwide for over a century.

Old Yeller II deserves some consideration ...

... as does Caballo de Hierro ...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7pc3fvad915yYSBlWL75shGhP5jzt7txDmC6D0qCsTe6x0jjnoO5iO4Yfjbgx1AX