1 2
boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
1/12/17 9:57 a.m.

A buddy and I are interested in this event.

I can't find the ticket prices on the web site. What did tickets cost last year? When will the website be updated?

THX

Rog

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
1/12/17 10:06 a.m.

Rog, the website should be updated shortly. Sorry about that.

For those of you wondering, the website is themitty.com.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/12/17 10:38 a.m.

The Mitty is my favorite event each year. Make plans to go!

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/12/17 10:43 a.m.

Great event. I got the VIP package a couple years back and I think it was $150ish per person.

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
1/16/17 4:06 p.m.

Thanks guys!

So the website is updated and the prices seem totally reasonable.

Which of the track events/sessions are a must do? Any good stuff happening in the evenings? Recommended lodging?

I expect to have several free days on either end of the event, any must do tourist stuff in the area?

Thanks,

Rog

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/16/17 4:59 p.m.

Lodging? Bring a tent and camp in the infield! This is the perennial guys outing for my group of friends and the only spectating event I do each year.

As great as the Mitty is, it only gets better after the track goes cold.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/17/17 9:04 a.m.

I may be in an RV this year (swanky!) but a lot of people camp. The closest hotels are in Braselton (the Country Inn is nice) but there are less expensive options in Oakwood (try the Quality Inn).

The track is about an hour from downtown Atlanta, where there is lots to see and do, and about an hour from Atlanta Motorsports Park if you want to visit two tracks in one trip: http://atlantamotorsportspark.com/karting/

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
1/18/17 9:53 a.m.

Hey,

Thru the wonders of Google, I discovered that Athens GA is close.

Any recommended Taprooms, restaurants, music venues in Athens?

Thanks again,

Rog

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/17 10:09 a.m.
boulder_dweeb wrote: Any recommended Taprooms, restaurants, music venues in Athens?

There is a version of all three of those things in the infield at the Mitty.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
2/15/17 1:59 p.m.

So the stars have aligned and I don't have a conflict for The Mitty this year! Definitely doing the weekend pass and camping, any helpful tips/tricks for a first-timer would be great. Question though, I'm bringing my son, so 2 passes and one camping pass, right? Thanks in advance.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/15/17 2:35 p.m.

This thing looks amazing, and at the moment I don't have a wedding scheduled that weekend to shoot- do you guys all bring cars? what kind? rv boondocking?

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
2/15/17 3:37 p.m.

In reply to chrispy:

Yes, that is correct.

Margie

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/15/17 3:41 p.m.
chrispy wrote: So the stars have aligned and I don't have a conflict for The Mitty this year! Definitely doing the weekend pass and camping, any helpful tips/tricks for a first-timer would be great. Question though, I'm bringing my son, so 2 passes and one camping pass, right? Thanks in advance.

Bring sunblock, and also rain gear! Springtime in Georgia can be a bit unpredictable. Depending on your son's age, he will most likely need a ticket. One parking pass will be fine for the two of you. Bring lots of water, and comfortable shoes---- Road Atlanta is a big track, and you'll be doing a lot of walking.

Be sure to sign up for the free parade laps on Friday, and Sunday. It's a great way to get out on track and see RA from a racer's point of view. Keep in mind, these are low-speed laps, so no helmet is required.

There's tons to see and do--- I'm sure others will chime in soon!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/15/17 3:47 p.m.

But maybe don't bring your newest or most favorite shoes because after a soggy day in Georgia Red clay, the shoes will never be the same again.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
2/15/17 4:24 p.m.

What is the age cut off for a child? Will my 6 year old need a ticket?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/17 4:57 p.m.

It WILL rain. It always rains at some point.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
2/16/17 12:56 p.m.

My son is 15, and has been autocrossing a kart for 2 years, parade laps look awesome. Our other shared hobby is camping/backpacking (he's done about 200 miles on the AT so far), so weather gear and water are always the first things in the pack. Going to be fun meeting some of you too.

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/16/17 1:11 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It WILL rain. It always rains at some point.

Decided to pour at about 10 on Friday night last year. Fastest I've ever set up a tent.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/16/17 10:39 p.m.

I decided to go a when BMW was the featured marque. So I scheduled a day and a half for the trip and rented a motel in TN in advance for the trip down in my e28 M5. I got almost to poplar bluff MO when the water pump went. As it turns out I got lucky because between there and the next civilization was a fur piece. So I spent the night in the super 8 instead of the prebooked 4 star in mid TN. Then proceeded to install the orielly water pump in the oreilly parking lot about 7am the next morning. What a great adventure. when I got done at 11am it was just starting to rain. So I did what anyone would do and headed to hardees for lunch then on my way to GA. When I pulled in to the infield at road atlanta at 12am local(12 hrs after my planned arrival time) it was just starting to sprinkle so I pitched my tent asap and proceeded to grab Z's. I met several of the people from the forums here, and several people that have probably never been on the forums. What an experience!!! I loved it and will never forget it. Also, pay for the track time(honestly forgot what it's called) it's worth it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
2/17/17 6:43 a.m.

Wife and I did the GRM/ Coker Tire Tour to the Mitty on Friday last year. It was a blast, I highly recommend it if you have the time. Sadly, I don't think it's int he cards for us this year. Too much work travel.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/17/17 10:23 a.m.
gunner wrote: Also, pay for the track time(honestly forgot what it's called) it's worth it.

We will again be holding parade and touring laps at the Mitty, although this year it's going to be a bit different. Keep in mind the difference--- Parade laps are free, but we only have time for 2-3 laps around Road Atlanta.

HSR Touring laps cost $50 per day. Touring lap participants get a few extra laps---- and if everyone behaves, we allow a little extra speed.

Keep in mind, this is not a "track day", but rather a fun way to tour the track and get a "drivers" perspective of what the track is like. These laps are a lot of fun--- but speeds are limited, and absolutely no passing, or shenanigans will be tolerated. Here's the schedule:

Friday--- mid-day--- Parade and HSR Touring Laps are planned. Afternoon--- Touring laps for Coker Tire, and Porsche Experience Tour participants only.

Sat----mid day-- Massive Porsche-only parade laps and HSR Touring laps

Sun--- mid day--- Parade and HSR Touring laps

VIP Ticket includes one complimentary Touring session. (ticket holder chooses day)

The best Parade / Touring laps are on Friday and Sunday. Saturday will be such a mob scene, that the laps will be slow ones. It's still fun, but the laps on Friday and Sunday will be more wide-open. HSR Touring lap tickets can be purchased before the event, or at the HSR booth on Vendor's Row. Parade lap participants must register first at the GRM tent--- at least an hour before the scheduled depart time.

Touring lap link

I'll be in the black E36 M3--- out there making sure no one behaves like I would if left unsupervised!

ClassicHondaGuy
ClassicHondaGuy New Reader
3/22/17 2:17 p.m.

I'm a huge proponent for this event. I recommend it to everyone interested in cars, and some who aren't. It's a very laid-back and friendly atmosphere with a ton of rare and very special cars. Here is a feature I wrote on last year's event:

http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/2016/04/classic-motorsports-mitty-2016.html

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/22/17 2:21 p.m.

Thanks, honda guy. Quick reminder to everyone: Head to TheMitty.com for details and links to buy tickets or register for either of the tours (choose from Chattanooga or Atlanta departures) we're doing to the event.

Margie

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
3/22/17 2:38 p.m.

Drats! The Porsche tour is full...

Well, I should see you all at the track anyway.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
3/22/17 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Matt B:

The Coker Tire Tour is still open!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u845mDOmW5iK1qi5gnj3JXDMwigvLKb4XKsGtHWPSIo1IqR5u2luNuL9cQhWTpJJ