1 2
alleykat
alleykat Reader
3/22/17 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

I take my girls every year. Kids under 12 are free. Awesome family friendly event. The pit access is unparalleled. My girls are often allowed to sit in the cars as we stroll the pits.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/22/17 3:45 p.m.

alleykat---- the open pits are one of the great things about the Mitty. Racers are almost always enthusiastic about getting the younger generation excited about motorsports. You'll find most teams will be happy to accommodate kids / let them sit in the seat and make vroom, vroom noises! At least this is true during the "down times". When they are busy.....they are very busy!

Of course the kids need to be careful and courteous---- but most folks know how to behave and it creates a great memory for the children and the parents.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
3/23/17 7:17 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: In reply to Matt B: The Coker Tire Tour is still open!

Much appreciated, but I won't have the bandwidth to get to Chattanooga when you guys start. Not a big deal - a good time will be had either way.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/29/17 2:11 p.m.

I always love the Mitty event posters. Has the 2017 poster been posted online yet?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/29/17 6:08 p.m.

Camp Aussie will be at Turns 2/3 as always, all are welcome to camp in our area.

ClassicHondaGuy
ClassicHondaGuy New Reader
4/5/17 9:32 a.m.

Just registered for the Coker Tire Tour. It'll be my first time. Can't wait! See you all in a couple weeks.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/5/17 10:41 a.m.

Woo! Tim and I are leading the Coker Tour--see you in Chattanooga.

Margie

t25torx
t25torx Dork
4/6/17 9:21 a.m.

Just found out my dad and brother will be going this year and I think I'm gonna join them. They are staying at a hotel, I would prefer to camp on site and mingle with the GRMer's going, so who do I need to hook up with at the end of the day? Oh and are there shower facilities on site?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/6/17 9:28 a.m.
t25torx wrote: Just found out my dad and brother will be going this year and I think I'm gonna join them. They are staying at a hotel, I would prefer to camp on site and mingle with the GRMer's going, so who do I need to hook up with at the end of the day? Oh and are there shower facilities on site?

Yes, there are track showers. (Track showers = Cold showers.) Bring flip flops. Later in the weekend, the outhouses closer to the bridge on the back straight are less aromatic. There is hot water in the showers near timing and scoring, but I've never used them at The Mitty.

Alternatively, it will rain at some point. Or you can use a big stock pot and make your own hot water and shower in the woods. If you're camping, it's more like a music festival than a race.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/6/17 10:52 a.m.
Tyler H wrote: There is hot water in the showers near timing and scoring, but I've never used them at The Mitty.

Bingo - hike across the bridge to the restroom behind the control to take a shower and see the other half of the paddock.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/6/17 11:26 a.m.
t25torx wrote: ... so who do I need to hook up with at the end of the day?

Well, most of us are pretty hairy and don't smell that great so I think you'll have your pick. I normally suggest poopshovel if he was going, but I believe the guy is married if that matters to you.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/6/17 1:58 p.m.

t25torx - If you're looking for a good time (ok, I'll stop), come on down to turn 2/3. There a few of us that usually congregate around whatever ginormous truck AussieSMG brought. I don't think he is bringing Mongo this year, but maybe he can chime in on what to look out for. I'll probably be nearby in a dark grey Mazda5 with a green tent posted up.

One year a group of us from the forum wore name tags with our handle so we could spot each other. Sorta upped the dork status figuratively and literally, but worked well.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/6/17 3:24 p.m.
boulder_dweeb wrote: Hey, Thru the wonders of Google, I discovered that Athens GA is close. Any recommended Taprooms, restaurants, music venues in Athens? Thanks again, Rog

Yep, Athens isn't far away at all.

The Globe, located right in downtown, is still popular place to get a beer.

For live music in Athens, check out the 40 Watt and the Georgia Theatre. Those were the two biggies back in the day, and they still get great acts. For the area's live music schedule, click here.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
4/6/17 3:47 p.m.

Yeah, the turn 2/3 GRM compound got so popular, I assigned myself to keep an eye on it. I'll be camping there, too.

Word from Steve is that he's going to try and bring Sampson the 30-foot-long pickup truck.

Tyler H
4/6/17 4:01 p.m.

My crew usually camps next to the crazy guys from Guyana, up against the tress between T8 and T9. Just listen for the loud ass music at ~2am. They're a lot of fun and feed their neighbors well.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/6/17 4:28 p.m.

I will be at 2/3 and I am hoping to have Sampson there. This will be year 9 for me.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
4/7/17 11:28 a.m.

Alright you hairy bastages, ticket and camping pass ordered. I'll see y'all in turn 2/3! Anyone got a checklist of crap I probably need to bring besides a tent and beer?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/10/17 3:34 p.m.

Just a bump for a new week.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/10/17 8:41 p.m.

In reply to t25torx: Sunscreen and paradoxically rain gear because most likely there will be plenty of both types of sky. There's food there when the vendors are open, but some water and snacks wouldn't hurt. Also, I like single malt scotch so make sure to bring that too. You know, the essentials.

Tyler H
4/11/17 9:24 a.m.
Matt B wrote: There's food there when the vendors are open, but some water and snacks wouldn't hurt.

In my experience, it's hard to walk a lap around the infield without getting fed and 'watered,' yet every year I still bring too much food.

I think I'm going to bring my barrel smoker again.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
4/11/17 4:38 p.m.

Oh here's a question I though of whiel talking to my dad today. Is the camping pass just for Friday and Saturday night or is Thursday night included to be able to get a jump on Fridays activities?

Tyler H
4/11/17 5:05 p.m.
t25torx wrote: Oh here's a question I though of whiel talking to my dad today. Is the camping pass just for Friday and Saturday night or is Thursday night included to be able to get a jump on Fridays activities?

I usually camp Thursday night, although track access may be restricted until late afternoon. Thursday night is really peaceful.

admc58
admc58 Reader
4/11/17 5:24 p.m.

Planning on bringing the Girls over, Hopefully meeting up with them Friday night and staying for the weekend. Can you save me a tent spot at Camp Aussie?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/11/17 8:09 p.m.

In reply to admc58: We will find you room brother, I will have kids there too.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/11/17 8:34 p.m.

Look out for the 20x10 awning, kitchen, viewing area

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xavqvGKGXfRRhhOQWZqRxC2HtzuFkGKU7kFgfgt4tEaHdxSLsNXhR4mSonhTatYA