1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/21/13 10:25 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: May I introduce to you the all new 1982 Cutlass Ciera:

I don't know if the CAR is 'most 80's looking', but the model posing with it certainly is...

stroker
stroker Dork
5/21/13 10:32 a.m.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/21/13 10:58 a.m.

^^^^^ Had to post a 308 didn't you? Those cars keep calling to me, although I have neither the space or the financial means to own one. Dammit though, I really want one......in Navy with parchment interior!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/13 12:30 p.m.

I would love me some 308/328. It is one of the few ferrari I lust over and can possible work on. And might be in my budget.

The other ferrari I lust over is the 206/246. But even with Fiat engines, their values have skyrocketed

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/21/13 1:01 p.m.
stroker wrote:

Or the red headed step child of the prancing horse family. The Mondial Not as pretty, but looks more 80's to me where the utterly beautiful 208/308/328 family are more 70's to my eye.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
5/21/13 1:22 p.m.

I didn't remember the 80s being so damn depressing car-wise.

For me, the original CRX was the height of 80s car-dom, if not necessarily 80s style.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/21/13 1:29 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: I didn't remember the 80s being so damn depressing car-wise. For me, the original CRX was the height of 80s car-dom, if not necessarily 80s style.

There were a lot of boring, boxy, uninspired cars- but there have ALWAYS been plenty of boring, generic looking cars no matter what the era...

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/21/13 1:39 p.m.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
5/22/13 1:18 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I would love me some 308/328. It is one of the few ferrari I lust over and can possible work on. And might be in my budget. The other ferrari I lust over is the 206/246. But even with Fiat engines, their values have skyrocketed

Theres always the Fiat Dino. Probably their best looking car, IMO.

Claff
Claff Reader
5/22/13 3:17 a.m.

mad_machine
5/22/13 8:26 a.m.
kanaric wrote:
mad_machine wrote: I would love me some 308/328. It is one of the few ferrari I lust over and can possible work on. And might be in my budget. The other ferrari I lust over is the 206/246. But even with Fiat engines, their values have skyrocketed
Theres always the Fiat Dino. Probably their best looking car, IMO.

so many of those died to keep the Ferrari Dino's alive it should be a crime

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/13 8:40 a.m.

Let's get rid of the iconic headlamps that help you know where the front corners of the car are, and replace them with troublesome pop-ups. Must be the 80's

Throw in Ronals or BBS for added 80's kitsch.

kylini
kylini Reader
5/22/13 8:55 a.m.

Might as well self-pimp my 80's love, the 1985 Celica GT-S convertible. Boxy and popups.

Adrian_Thompson
5/22/13 9:04 a.m.

Damn, all the Exotic threads over the last month has got me spending too much time over on Fchat and convincing myself that 'one day'....

Anyway, Ferrari started the 'strakes' look with the Testarossa, but really got into it with the 89 348tb/ts. These have an 80's cool and while when the 355 launched in 95 I thought it looked 10,000,000 times better than the 348, now I actualy prefer the 348, I think I've got some serious 80's issues here. Anyway check out the late 80's awesomeness, where's my filofax?

mad_machine
5/22/13 9:13 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Let's get rid of the iconic headlamps that help you know where the front corners of the car are, and replace them with troublesome pop-ups. Must be the 80's Throw in Ronals or BBS for added 80's kitsch.

if I am not mistaken, the "flat nose" 911 was developed for racing. It added downforce to the nose of the car at speed

Adrian_Thompson
5/23/13 8:16 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: Let's get rid of the iconic headlamps that help you know where the front corners of the car are, and replace them with troublesome pop-ups. Must be the 80's Throw in Ronals or BBS for added 80's kitsch.
if I am not mistaken, the "flat nose" 911 was developed for racing. It added downforce to the nose of the car at speed

The flat nose was made iconic by the 935 race cars. Both the 934 and 935 were derived from the original 930 road car. The 934 was homologated in group 4, the 935 was homologated for the group 5 with more latitude in the rules. the very first 935's appeared with regular headlamps, until Porsche realized the rules for gropu 5 said the fenders could be replaced with any shape, so they made the flat nose for less drag and lift. People thought it looked cool and started copying it on street cars and eventually Porsche themselves jumped on the band wagon with a factory flat nose, but not until several years later. As a teen I thought it was the coolest thing. Now I think it works on the race cars, form over function and all that. But for a street car I think it gives the 911 shape an unbalanced look, it looks too low in the nose and too heavy in the ass for me, but we all know what they say about opinions.

More trivia. I love Porsche's rule interpretation. The Group 5 rules said you had to keep the standard body shell and glass, but the curve of the rear end gave horrendous lift, even with the various spoilers and wings they had. So on the later 935's they had a secondary outer skin with a more shallow slope to the rear which gave less lift and drag. That skin also had a plastic rear window over the stock piece that still had to be there. I love rule interpretations.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/23/13 8:26 a.m.

The flat noses are my favorite Porsches.

Why do I want so many of these cars?

Adrian_Thompson
5/23/13 8:34 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Why do I want so many of these cars?

For me it's because these were my coming of age cars, the posters I had on my wall as a teen. I have very fond memories of the 80's, but I think your your much younger. But that's OK as I love many of the cars from the 60's too.

Iconic cars will stand out from any era, and make people looking back with rose colored glasses think that any age was the perfect time, while ignoring 90% of the cars that were just crap back then. Now here on GRM we tend to like the underdog more than most places, but we all have cars we think were crap from any time period if we think hard enough.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/23/13 8:52 a.m.

Is it wrong that these are some of the best looking rear-engined Porsches IMO?

mad_machine
5/23/13 9:50 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Now I think it works on the race cars, form over function and all that. But for a street car I think it gives the 911 shape an unbalanced look, it looks too low in the nose and too heavy in the ass for me, but we all know what they say about opinions.

I agree with you there.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
5/23/13 9:24 p.m.

Does it really get more '80s than this???

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
5/23/13 10:22 p.m.
dansxr2 wrote: Does it really get more '80s than this???

i think it's already been pointed out that if a car is engineered and designed in a decade, then it "belongs" to that decade.. hence, that's a 70's looking car..

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
5/23/13 10:26 p.m.

when i pulled into work tonight, i was greeted by one of these in the parking lot:

1982 Chrysler Cordoba LS.. it was blue, and it looked like it was buried in a time capsule right after leaving the dealer lot.. looked pretty damn 80's to me...

mad_machine
5/23/13 10:30 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
dansxr2 wrote: Does it really get more '80s than this???
i think it's already been pointed out that if a car is engineered and designed in a decade, then it "belongs" to that decade.. hence, that's a 70's looking car..

I go by production. The Aries K went into production in 1981.. that is an 80's car.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
5/23/13 11:10 p.m.

So we should be posting pictures of 90s cars because they were designed in the 80s. Huh?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
221uB6xzFkTKAtVaqAnZAIb4BPjVaPehbSOvrLA7cEgPFl1aFlenfG7aiFrPA3vV