1 2 3
KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/24/14 1:58 p.m.

I think the Jed might be on to something here.... Lincoln time.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/14 1:58 p.m.

X-type? Only because it's basically a Contour so it'll have fewer unobtanium Jag bits on it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/24/14 1:59 p.m.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/24/14 2:01 p.m.

V12 Jag

And because I wanted a laugh I CL'd Jag at under $4,500. I laughed cause it's conveniently on a trailer already.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/24/14 2:09 p.m.

Dang. I try this every 6 months or so hoping the answer changes.

Ok, never mind.

So what about a $2,500 Disco? (kidding)

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/24/14 2:14 p.m.

Rennie owned a XJ40 Jag ( early car with circular headlights) that was impossible to kill. It always started, always ran well, and got him to wherever he wanted to go.

Sure all the idiot lights were on, the windows didn't open and the door locks weren't functioning,but hey---- it ran!

One of these:

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
9/24/14 2:14 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

If $1400 for a rebuilt trans isn't something you're comfortable with... Why are you even thinking about a Jag? Go get one of the last square Caprice's from '90 or so, do some parts swapping, and call it done.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
9/24/14 2:15 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: V12 Jag And because I wanted a laugh I CL'd Jag at under $4,500. I laughed cause it's conveniently on a trailer already.

Offer $1k (or less), add megasquirt+ take care of differed maintenance issues (like the distributor advance that needs to be lubed and may have been the original problem) = partytime

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
9/24/14 2:20 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: My neighbor had a non-running xj6 in his garage (non-car people) a few years back. They are absolutely beautiful cars.

That reminded me of the scene from Gumball rally where the two guy's are sitting in the garage still trying to get it to start and one said "it's a beautiful design" and the other said "I wish it ran".

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/24/14 2:37 p.m.

...getting back to Panthers

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/24/14 2:51 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

Im not the OP. I thought it was silly to buy a $1500 that would immediately need a $1400 transmission and still only have an Accord.

Why am I even responding to this? I am not going to continue on with Bravenrace any more so I shouldn't with you either.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/24/14 2:52 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

Towncar with a budget to replace the air ride and you will be golden.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/24/14 2:59 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to singleslammer: If $1400 for a rebuilt trans isn't something you're comfortable with... Why are you even thinking about a Jag? Go get one of the last square Caprice's from '90 or so, do some parts swapping, and call it done.

I think you mixed Singleslammer and I into one person.

And i was just tossing out a harmless question (that was rectified within two posts but I'll take all the advice I can get!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/24/14 3:02 p.m.

My suggestion would be a X300 XJ6. There are not a lot of problem areas with those cars. The power steering column motor is one I can think of. But all in all a fairly solid cars with probably fewer problem areas then a similar age BMW.

The X308 XJ8 has a few problem areas. All of them (except XJ8Rs) don't have the best automatic. If it has been maintained, it should be fine but too many haven't. Pre '00 Model year cars have weak timing chain tensioners and niksel cylinder liners. If the Niksel problem hasn't shown up by now, it is highly unlikely too. The timing chain tensioner problem can be fixed with tensioners for later cars. I'd suggest the ones from the X350 XJ8.

There are a number of good buying guides out there for the X300 and X308 model XJ8s.

Also V8 swaps in early 6 cylinder XJs seem silly to me since that is the most reliable part of the car.

I love how this board praises modern BMWs and just slams Jags despite as far as I can tell they have about the same level of problems (or maybe less) as a comparable BMW. The only one talking sense in this thread is Adrian.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
9/24/14 3:12 p.m.

Yes, I was replying in error, although I stand behind my statement 100%. Box Caprice.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/24/14 3:16 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: 1. buy honda accord 2. install jaguar badges 3. rock it like a hurricane
SWMBO wants a Range Rover, and I have this same formula in mind, except substitute accord for element. In all seriousness, I've looked into Jags, and it seems like the best bet for a DIYer is a V12 powered Kitty. XJ-S or XJ-12 sedan.

Ummmm, NO! The XJS V12 is a nightmare. Changing the back to spark plugs basically requires dropping the engine. Also it is vacuum hose city under there which can lead to all kinds of problems.

6 cylinder is a MUCH better bet.

travellering
travellering New Reader
9/24/14 4:53 p.m.

A second vote for the X300 95-96 XJ6. Last of the mellifluous sixes Jag actually had a substantial role in designing. My dad had a 95 with 140000 on the clock, and a chunk of crap blocked an oil passage to the head (any used car could have DPO's) and we expected an insane cost to replace the engine. Called up a Jag place in Texas and the guy was ecstatic to sell us one for 650 complete! He said he had over 40 engines sitting on the shelf because they just didn't fail. Luxurious interior, and plenty of hustle for such a long looking car.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/24/14 5:18 p.m.

In reply to travellering:

Like this? https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ctd/4662793578.html

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
9/24/14 5:28 p.m.

I drove a aluminum xj8 once, it was pretty nice but I liked the Infiniti m45 I drove a lot better for that type.of car. That would be the better Japanese car to put jaguar badges on lol. Most of the jaguars I see are x308 XJs or S-types though.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/24/14 6:04 p.m.

My aunt had a 1994-2003 model back in the day. Forget the exact year since I'm getting old. She didn't have too many problems and loved the car. Looked like this:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/24/14 6:11 p.m.

Damn you all. Now im on craigslist looking for cheap jags again. Like I need that in my life. But the late 90'xj6 just look soooo good. Especially in xjr trim.

travellering
travellering New Reader
9/24/14 6:12 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory: No, that's an 86 according to the ad.
For a poor joke on hot linking and to the satisfaction of half the posters in this thread, this is an x300:

It's also the same car as AMG RX7 posted just with the four litre six cylinder..

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/14 6:28 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Seriously, what about the Ford 5.0L S type. Here's the thread from a few days ago. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/nmna-01-jag-s-type-50/90983/page1/#post1613496 Text from as. 2001 Jaguar S-Type Hot Rod has been modded with a freshly built V8 Ford 5.0 attached to an AOD tranny with shift kit, stall converter, and B&M Hammer shifter. Custom exhaust, 20" wheels, triple core aluminum radiator. Drives great, sounds amazing!!! Looks even better! Looking for interesting trades. Prefer 4 door car or SUV. Will consider any offers. Car will need some finishing work to be bulletproof, I ran out of time as I've moved. I have a lot invested, but am realistic @$5,000 obo. Thanks!

Is a 5.0 a bolt in on those things? If so, my interest in S types just quadrupled.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
9/24/14 6:52 p.m.

A Lincoln would probably fit most of the wants just as well, if not better, than a Jaaaag would.

And you could probably find a really nice one for 4k.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/25/14 8:08 a.m.

Honestly from what I have seen the S-Type is less reliable then the X300 XJ6 or X308 XJ8. Although there are couple years where you can get a manual S-Type 6 cylinder.

Also there is some interchange between XJs and Ford parts. For example, IIRC the window motors are Ford parts.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CQjNo62E2QbWaQHch4ZNA0zuN5jNDscrFjo7wtfMgH48JgVU8G1WT2p8iKIURdUX