1 2
white_fly
white_fly Reader
3/8/17 12:54 a.m.

2017 is the best time to be a car enthusiast so far. There has never been so small a delta between what we want cars to do in our minds and what they are actually capable of achieving.

2017 is also a really good time to be wealthy and the McLaren 720 might be the best reason I know to be rich so far. I must have looked at pictures of the car half a dozen times today and am in awe of how well the folks at McLaren have pulled this off. The styling seems to meld elements of the P1, 918 and LaFerrari cohesively and ends up looking better than any one of those influences.

The fact that this is essentially in the same class of car that once used to consist of the Ferrari 348 and NSX is mind-blowing. This must be close to the absolute apex of what we will ever be permitted to drive on the road.

http://cars.mclaren.com/super-series/720s

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/17 6:36 a.m.

I don't know. Not my first choice in styling but this is like choosing a girlfriend from the miss World contest.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
3/8/17 6:41 a.m.

Fap-tastic

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/17 6:42 a.m.
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/17 6:47 a.m.

I have always loved McLaren road cars. All of them. F1, MP4-12C All-in-one Printer Fax Copy Scanner, Sport Series, Super Series, P1, Coupe, Spyder, Special Edition, Base model.

But this. I lust after this. It isn't as over the top as a P1 or the previous models in the styling department. It isn't as juvenile as the current cars but it isn't as subdued as the 12C. It looks more futuristic than anything Ferrari or Lamborghini has available, yet looks more "real" than both. The cabin is Zonda like in the fighter jet cockpit look yet not as tacked on looking. I even like the Celica-esque horse nostril headlight/intakes.

They are supposed to be coming out with a new three seater. If it resembles this, with three seats, I think I would just kill myself. Because that would be the pinnacle of life and it would just be downhill from there.

I bleed Ford blue, but I would do this over the almost twice the price GT any day of the week and twice on the days that end in "y".

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/17 6:52 a.m.

It's a nice-looking car but, looks-wise not even a standout among McLaren's current lineup. I think the P1 is their best-looking car.

Now is the best time to be a rich car enthusiast but absolutely not the best time to be a non-rich car enthusiast. That was the mid/late '90s, well before I was old enough to drive

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/8/17 7:03 a.m.

Nothing in this class is going to look bad. The front end, especially in white, reminds me of an amphibian insurance mascot or something. I'm sure it looks incredible in person, but I find the pics a bit underwhelming.

That being said, I think it fits the brand identity pretty well. Lambos have flat surfaces and straight lines. Ferraris have curves and little embelishments that add flare. This looks like it was genetically bred in a labratory, which is kind of McLaren's thing. It's clinical.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/8/17 7:10 a.m.

Those stupid parking sensors (circa 2005) look really out of place on the front and back. That kills it for me. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/17 7:11 a.m.

For some reason this was my first thought looking at photos of it

Titan4
Titan4 New Reader
3/8/17 7:12 a.m.

I don't care for the big headlights. If the portion below the LED strips wasn't there (or was body colored) I think it would look much better. As it is, it just looks odd to me. But I'm sure it's wonderful otherwise and you can't see the lights from the driver's seat.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/17 7:17 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: For some reason this was my first thought looking at photos of it

The shape of the nose is uncannily similar to a shark's nose, especially the way the underside bulges out a bit (leading to the lower grille on this car, or the mouth on a shark)

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/17 7:19 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: For some reason this was my first thought looking at photos of it

Here's BRUCY!!! I am sure that is what Ferrari and Porsche are saying right now.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
3/8/17 7:28 a.m.

Ufortunately, it looks to be a bit beyond my price range. I would happily settle for 570GT...

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/8/17 9:06 a.m.

It's not bad, but I still prefer the P1. The P1 looked less like it was manufactured and more like it was grown.

Yum

D2W
D2W Reader
3/8/17 10:28 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I don't know. Not my first choice in styling but this is like choosing a girlfriend from the miss World contest.

^this^

t25torx
t25torx Dork
3/8/17 10:36 a.m.

I don't like the headlight pits. But that's it, the rest of the car is gorgeous. I do like how closely the side profile matches the F1 of yore. Wonder if I'll ever see one in person..

stroker
stroker SuperDork
3/8/17 11:30 a.m.

I have no hope that I could actually fit into the thing, so it's all academic. If I were to be serious about getting a McLaren I'd opt for a M8F or maybe a M20. They're prolly about the same price...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/17 12:50 p.m.
stroker wrote: I have no hope that I could actually fit into the thing, so it's all academic. If I were to be serious about getting a McLaren I'd opt for a M8F or maybe a M20. They're prolly about the same price...

I can't find a price on the 2 M8Fs online but the last M20 sold for $2M.

The 720S is $285k.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/8/17 1:08 p.m.

Well, if I hit it big on the lottery this won't be on the short list. I can find much more entertaining autos to blow a wad of cash on.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
3/8/17 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

I was only off by a factor of 6! Jeez...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/17 7:25 p.m.

There is not a supercar on the market that I find appealing.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/8/17 8:34 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: I think I would sell a kidney for one of these.

I agree. I would gladly sell one of your kidneys for one of these...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/9/17 6:30 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: There is not a supercar on the market that I find appealing.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/9/17 6:31 a.m.
secretariata wrote:
Flight Service wrote: I think I would sell a kidney for one of these.
I agree. I would gladly sell one of your kidneys for one of these...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/9/17 6:33 a.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o3Od7kstrgT4inHvD2bBA1Mp2YFVylwrvlZcSyx6kbeZRXp2hH6qlWryaerFY9yW