1 2
kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
4/7/17 9:25 p.m.

The season is nearly upon us. I've done this before on more "local" car message boards, but thought I'd toss it out here as well. It occurred to me reading another thread that, even though most of us on here race in some form or fashion, there are a fair number who have never been out, or who may have never tried a particular form of motorsports. Think of it as sort of like the "road assist list". Basically, if you're willing to participate, list the region/area you're in, types of events and/or groups you participate in, what you're willing to do, your experience level and how to get in contact.

Here's my info, as an example:

Area/region: Southwest Michigan.

Groups I race with: Primarily West Michigan SCCA & Furrin Group, occasionally other groups such as Windy City Miata Club.

Types of events: Primarily autocross. Have done occasional track days.

What I'm willing to do: Help get you through your first event. I'm not a professional driving instructor by any means, but I can help with course walking, prepping for tech and some basic driving tips. I'll ride along and give ride alongs to help with course navigation. I can also introduce you to people who are actually fast.

Experience level: Been autocrossing for about 7 years.

Best point of contact: Probably best to post in this thread. You can try an IM, but I don't always notice them immediately.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
4/7/17 9:29 p.m.

I'm located in Central AL and have never autocrossed..... if someone is local ish and does I would love to at least watch one. Everyone in my car club has never done it and thought it was crazy talk

Crxpilot
Crxpilot New Reader
4/7/17 10:16 p.m.

If any form of sanctioned performance driving (including right turns) happens within 2 hours of Lubbock, TX, hit me up.

crewperson
crewperson Reader
4/8/17 9:19 a.m.

Anybody in southern Ontario? I'd love to be adopted. 318i sitting in my garage that would love some exercise.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
4/8/17 4:37 p.m.

I'll be giving the drivers meeting tomorrow and Spoolpigeon will be in attendance, does that count?

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
4/8/17 5:31 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: I'll be giving the drivers meeting tomorrow and Spoolpigeon will be in attendance, does that count?

No, Spoolpigeon absolutely does not count as a newb.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/8/17 8:24 p.m.
crewperson wrote: Anybody in southern Ontario? I'd love to be adopted. 318i sitting in my garage that would love some exercise.

Hey, I'm in southern Ontario (Kitchener)! I think I also fall into the newb category but that doesn't mean we can't figure some of this stuff out together. I just joined the KWRC and am planning on running my Subaru in their rally crosses this year for the first time. I've also been putting the finishing touches on my E28 so I can do some more open lapping at Toronto Motorsports Park and maybe a driving school with the BMW Car Club.

Adam

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
4/8/17 9:11 p.m.
crewperson wrote: Anybody in southern Ontario? I'd love to be adopted. 318i sitting in my garage that would love some exercise.

I'll be there starting this summer. My buddy and I might be building a drift car, but that might not be what you're looking for.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/17 10:03 p.m.
Blitzed306 wrote: I'm located in Central AL and have never autocrossed..... if someone is local ish and does I would love to at least watch one. Everyone in my car club has never done it and thought it was crazy talk

What part of the state? I'm in MS, but if I can get the Vette running I plan on hitting some events on/near the Gulf Coast. I've not looked at schedules yet, but last fall I know SCCA lost their site around Mobile. I'm not sure if they've found anyplace else yet though.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/8/17 10:06 p.m.

I'm not sure what events I'll be able to make yet before the summer heat gets silly, but I instruct autocross for the SCCA and PCA in Houston and have contacts for just about every kind of sports car type silliness in the Houston area. If I can't help you, I know who can.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
4/8/17 10:12 p.m.

Area/region: Washington D.C.

Groups I race with: WDCR SCCA AutoX, WDCR SCCA RallyX, BMR SCCA RallyX, SUSQ SCCA RallyX.

Types of events: AutoX or RallyX (Any other local SCCA stuff I can at least put you in contact with somebody who does it even if I don't know much about it)

What I'm willing to do: Help get you through your first event. I can answer questions in advance about cars/classes/prep/events or whatever. I can be a little busy at the events being on the committee for both WDCR RallyX and AutoX but I can help some or hook you up with somebody else that can stick with you thru the event. I can ride along and keep you on course and give basic tips but if you need more than that I can recommend other people. I also on occasion rent out my spare rallyx cars for local WDCR SCCA RallyX events to people I know.

Experience level: I starting RallyX in 2010 and AutoX a few years before that. I do decent at both.

Best point of contact: PM works fine.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/9/17 9:45 p.m.
Blitzed306 wrote: I'm located in Central AL and have never autocrossed..... if someone is local ish and does I would love to at least watch one. Everyone in my car club has never done it and thought it was crazy talk

I believe the Birmingham region is still searching for an autocross site. I do know they run autocross is at little Talladega Gran Prix on occasion. Try a Web search and I'm sure they would welcome you.

I am in central mississippi and we hold events at Columbus (mississippi ) air force base every other month. There was one this weekend there. Next one is in June. The good thing is they are 2 Day events held on Saturday and Sunday. The bad thing is there about 3 hours away from you.

We also hold 2 day events every other month a Grenada, MS airport. Next one is in May.

Both events tend to have small turnouts so you usually get eight time runs and are finished fairly early in the afternoon. With plenty of time for after event fun runs. Usually less than 25 or 30 ENTrants

Feel free to p.m. me if you want additional info

Or see website at msscca.org

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 New Reader
4/10/17 8:42 a.m.

Man I would've loved something like this when I started!

I'm in the Grand Rapids area, been doing auto-x for 10 years and HPDE/Road course stuff for about 7. I'm the Western MI SCCA's solo chair. and Help instruct at Gridlife events.

If there's an event nearby I'm probably there. I also travel around the greater midwest as the opportunities allow.

I'm happy to help with Solo classing, general first day type stuff, course walks, ride alongs, etc. for Road course type things I'm happy to share my mental checklist of things to bring/have. Things to do on the first day and what not!

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
4/10/17 3:06 p.m.

I'm in Rochester and we run events in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse. Come play.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/10/17 3:22 p.m.

This is awesome--totally awesome. Once I'm healed up, I'll let you know where I'll be. Always happy to help.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
4/10/17 4:09 p.m.
klodkrawler05 wrote: Man I would've loved something like this when I started! I'm in the Grand Rapids area, been doing auto-x for 10 years and HPDE/Road course stuff for about 7. I'm the Western MI SCCA's solo chair. and Help instruct at Gridlife events. If there's an event nearby I'm probably there. I also travel around the greater midwest as the opportunities allow. I'm happy to help with Solo classing, general first day type stuff, course walks, ride alongs, etc. for Road course type things I'm happy to share my mental checklist of things to bring/have. Things to do on the first day and what not!

If anyone wants to "cut out the middle man", this is one of the "fast guys" I would have introduced you to.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
5/1/17 6:08 p.m.

Gonna be here: possibly the best autox venue evaaaar! on May 20. WMR SCCA is restarting their autocross program and has secured the lot at Michigan's Adventure in Muskegon. Its an absolutely enormous lot. My availability is going to be somewhat limited because I already have a "newb" attached (my son!), but still happy to help if I can.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
5/2/17 2:13 p.m.

Area/region: Erie,PA: Tracks Mid-Ohio, Nelson Ledges, Pitt (Beaverun), Gingerman and Thompson Kart track in Ohio.

Groups I race with: Chumpcar, AER, WRL, SCCA, GOLD Cup, WKA

Types of events: track days, Kart races, and Crapcan racing.

What I'm willing to do: I'm not a professional driving instructor by any means, in fact this will be the first year that I will be doing driver instruction. I can't give much mechanical advice, but I would recommend bringing a torque wrench, do all the preparing of the car before your come to the event, and find a friend who has a truck and trailer just in case. Most of what I know is about buying and selling.

Experience level: 17 years of racing experience, 22 years of simulation racing

Best point of contact: email.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/2/17 2:32 p.m.

I'd like to put myself down as a newb AND someone who can help other newbs.

Area: Westmoreland county, PA. I'm on my second year auto crossing with AHR, a region that the SCCA won't tell you exists if you live in Westmoreland county. I'm not a very good driver, but I make a good example of what not to do and I know a few of the local hot shoes well enough to introduce you and get you some tips.

I'm hoping to make it to Susquehanna or Washington DC region for rally cross this year. I'll be looking for someone to show me the ropes and introduce me around when I actually make it to an event.

So if you're in from out of town, or trying to get involved but don't want to drive back and forth to steel cities to try autocross, I'm your guy.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
5/17/17 8:51 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: Gonna be here: possibly the best autox venue evaaaar! on May 20. WMR SCCA is restarting their autocross program and has secured the lot at Michigan's Adventure in Muskegon. Its an absolutely enormous lot. My availability is going to be somewhat limited because I already have a "newb" attached (my son!), but still happy to help if I can.

Just bumping this one more time for the May 20 event. So far, there are 62 entries. That's low for a venue like this, really low. Walk ups will be taken, but you can save yourself $5 by registering before preregistration closes in a couple of hours. If there aren't a ton of late entries, you might end up getting A LOT of runs in. Nice wide open venue for newer drivers. Only down side is a less than stellar weather report.

Official word from the course designer: "We won't run out of course until we run out of cones . . . and we have a lot of cones."

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/18/17 8:07 a.m.

Just recently moved across the country which meant losing most of the mentor types I had access too in Socal.

So if there are any non newbs out here in the Raleigh/Durham NC or even Southern VA (I run up to VIR to watch stuff) let me know !

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
5/18/17 10:13 a.m.

If all goes well I'll be at Gingerman on July 2nd for a track day, and willing to help any noobs.

I have several track days and Lemons races under my belt. So I'm just getting started and willing to pull anyone that I can into the black hole that is autosports.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
5/18/17 10:28 a.m.

I race with the Central New York region in the Syracuse/Fulton area. I'm not one of the fast guys but I am the grid chief there and I can make sure you get hooked up with the fast guys for help. Also willing to let people co-drive my car

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
5/18/17 11:06 a.m.

If anyone's interested in getting into karts and are in Texas, feel free to reach out. I've taught/tuned/wrenched for my 15 year old for 9 years. We've been all over the U.S. from local events to national event. Furthermore, he's become a very talented driving coach and loves working with kids and adults. Just know that he and I will both concentrate on the "squishy pink thing in the seat" more than making chassis/motor changes. Whether it's your first time in a kart, getting back into it or looking to do something with your kids, we've been through it all. There are lots of options depending on budget.

Furthermore, he's teamed up with a racing team who can provide chassis, transportation, pits, etc. to help the experience along. Depending on how serious you want to get.

He and I love this sport, so you'll get truthful answers instead of just trying to be sold the latest "go fast" goodies. But, we'll also be brutally honest on making a driver faster.

Ninja edit. We'll also be at nationals in New Castle, Indiana August 9-15 and Vegas November 15-19 if you're in the area and want to come by. I've said it many times, karting provides some VERY close racing and it always exciting to watch.

-Rob

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
3/19/18 5:21 p.m.

Just bumping this thread for the new year.  I'm in the same region and running with the same groups.  I probably have slightly better availability than last year.  Kazoo Jr. is pretty self-sufficient.  In fact, he almost beat me last year.  Let me know if I can help with anything.  

First event: SCCA WMR event 4/21 at Michigan's Adventure in Muskegon.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cfvz8Ly8jjEtXzcul5Gh9HV7sZCrrb07dmUjICBV07RdwJq6yu1cUZUG9G45Bixe