1 2
noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/13 6:57 a.m.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/datsun-unveils-all-new-datsun-go-and-confirms-2014-line-up-for-its-return-to-indonesia

Kind of interesting.... Sort of.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/19/13 7:13 a.m.

I kept seeing bits about Datsun's return in various magazines and online. I had dreams of an amazing new 510, instead it's an appliance sold in Indonesia.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
9/19/13 7:58 a.m.

Leno had mentioned something about the return as well. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/nissan-hints-z-jay-leno-datsun-240z-tribute-005150403.html

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/19/13 7:59 a.m.
Jerry wrote: I kept seeing bits about Datsun's return in various magazines and online. I had dreams of an amazing new 510, instead it's an appliance sold in Indonesia.

Nissan already sells a small engine 4 seat car that has 4 doors. I'm sure it has 2-3x the power that the 510 did.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/19/13 8:01 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Jerry wrote: I kept seeing bits about Datsun's return in various magazines and online. I had dreams of an amazing new 510, instead it's an appliance sold in Indonesia.
Nissan already sells a small engine 4 seat car that has 4 doors. I'm sure it has 2-3x the power that the 510 did.

Keyword - "did". I was hoping for a modern 510.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/19/13 8:05 a.m.

You're not alone. I'd love to see both the 240 and the 510 brought back. I opened this thread to add the Leno video, but Grtechguy beat me to it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/19/13 8:19 a.m.

There's nothing wrong With Nissan that a small RWD sports car can't fix.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/19/13 8:21 a.m.
Jerry wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
Keyword - "did". I was hoping for a modern 510.

do. You have the choice of 40 more hp in the Versa or over a 100 more hp in the Altima. There's your modern 510.

The 240 is also being made, it's called the 370. Or if you really have money the GTR.

Whatever Datsun does, it will be a far simpler version of a Nissan.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/19/13 8:22 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: There's nothing wrong With Nissan that a small RWD sports car can't fix.

yes, every car maker needs to have a car that only sells 10,000 units a year. really does wonders to the bottom line.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/19/13 8:24 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: There's nothing wrong With Nissan that a small RWD sports car can't fix.
yes, every car maker needs to have a car that only sells 10,000 units a year. really does wonders to the bottom line.

Dear car makers of the world please stop making fun cars.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/19/13 8:25 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
Dear car makers of the world please stop making fun cars.

Dear people who want small sporty cars- pay up. They ain't free.

that, and there are a TON of fun cars out on the market right now, some small, some not so much. Most are derivatives of mass market cars. But that's not what is being suggested Nissan does.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/19/13 8:34 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Dear people who want small sporty cars- pay up. They ain't free.

I don't need them to be free but can we get some damn competition in the mid-20s for the MX-5? Something that doesn't look like a suppository? Maybe a Nissan 240z or Honda S1800? How about a Chevy Monza using old Saturn Sky parts?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/19/13 8:34 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:

They already make a low volume sports car that sells less than 10k a year. The problem is that it's $30k and that's with a $3k price drop for 2014. Compare that to just under $25k for the FRS. Maybe the 370 is already a better deal because it's quite a lot more powerful, but the sales numbers say that a lighter cheaper 2+2 will sell more than what they're selling now.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
9/19/13 8:42 a.m.

I think the problem is too many people (starting with the bean counters at the car companies) look at a cheap enthusiast's car as a bad business proposition, when they should look at it as a fantastic advertising/PR campaign. Car companies might not make much money on these vehicles, but offering them is one of the big things that builds a great reputation for the company.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/19/13 8:42 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
They already make a low volume sports car that sells less than 10k a year. The problem is that it's $30k and that's with a $3k price drop for 2014. Compare that to just under $25k for the FRS. Maybe the 370 is already a better deal because it's quite a lot more powerful, but the sales numbers say that a lighter cheaper 2+2 will sell more than what they're selling now.

Chuckle....

I don't see low market Datsun doing many cars that intend to sell 10k a year. And Nissan probably is doing quite nicely with the low volume 370, since it's engine is not nearly as costly as the FRS one (since it's from a mass production vehicle, whereas all the flat 4 is just two small volume cars).

The "lighter cheaper" RWD market is very limited. Regardless of 2+2 or not. IMHO, not really worth Datsun's time.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/19/13 8:44 a.m.

Yep. Talked about it on the show a few weeks back. Starting with ugly little economy things. They want a different name to not interfere with Nissan sales.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/19/13 8:45 a.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: I think the problem is too many people (starting with the bean counters at the car companies) look at a cheap enthusiast's car as a bad business proposition, when they should look at it as a fantastic advertising/PR campaign. Car companies might not make much money on these vehicles, but offering them is one of the big things that builds a great reputation for the company.

Well, I suggest that anyone who really belives this, come work in a car company, and make a decent living selling a low volume car that gets "great PR". Mazda is clearly swimming in profits and sales based on the Miata.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
9/19/13 8:53 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
JohnyHachi6 wrote: I think the problem is too many people (starting with the bean counters at the car companies) look at a cheap enthusiast's car as a bad business proposition, when they should look at it as a fantastic advertising/PR campaign. Car companies might not make much money on these vehicles, but offering them is one of the big things that builds a great reputation for the company.
Well, I suggest that anyone who really belives this, come work in a car company, and make a decent living selling a low volume car that gets "great PR". Mazda is clearly swimming in profits and sales based on the Miata.

That's my whole point - you won't make a decent living selling low volume cars. You'll make a good reputation for your company and sell lots more of your boring cars.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/19/13 9:11 a.m.

I think the Miata is the only reason Mazda isn't Mitsubishi. It has been the shining bright spot in the company for 25 (?) years now. 90% of the press about Mazda is good simply because of the Miata. The whole company image is good because of it.
Another example is the Corvette. The only reason I don't think GM fired every competent engineer they ever had is the Corvette. Through very dark time I've been convinced that they had the ability to make decent cars just because of that one.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/19/13 9:42 a.m.

If the Miata meant something, and the appeal of the sport 6 was an invite, Mazda would be selling a whole lot more cars. I don't know how many times people post how they prefer the identical Mazda product over the Ford, yet they are but a ripple of the market. The "great company image" does not sell more cars.

I would love to think that the Ford GT actually made a difference in our sales, but I know it didn't do squat.

BTW, all I'm trying to point out is that the odds of Datsun making anythink based on what they sold here in the US in the late 60's/early 70's is incredibly remote. If you want to go on thinking they will make a new 510, that's great. Just be ready for the dissapointment when all they are doing is simplifying the Renault and Nissan lines and rebadging them Datsuns.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/19/13 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Just wait for the '15 mustang with v6 or ecoboost power....bigger car, but probably more capable all around.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
9/19/13 10:24 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: Whatever Datsun does, it will be a far simpler version of a Nissan.

and we need more of this... not less.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/19/13 10:26 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: If the Miata meant something......

Mazda isn't screamingly successful because of the Miata, but I do believe the Miata is the reason that Mazda isn't a completely forgotten brand like Mitsubishi or Suzuki. Nissan is headed down the obscure road and needs a reason for people to talk about their cars.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
9/19/13 11:18 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: BTW, all I'm trying to point out is that the odds of Datsun making anythink based on what they sold here in the US in the late 60's/early 70's is incredibly remote. If you want to go on thinking they will make a new 510, that's great. Just be ready for the dissapointment when all they are doing is simplifying the Renault and Nissan lines and rebadging them Datsuns.

Sadly, I agree. A limited bunch of rebadged Renaults coming to our shores.

Amazing that they used the Datsun name not to hurt the Nissan image back in the day, and now they probably won't produce anything that will live up to the Datsun's that we came to love and enjoy.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/19/13 1:31 p.m.
since it's engine is not nearly as costly as the FRS one (since it's from a mass production vehicle, whereas all the flat 4 is just two small volume cars).

That is not true.

Anyway, i want to talk about THE REAL DATSUN THAT EXISTS!

This thing is cool! This is the kind of car i wish american consumers were more accepting of. It's an incredibly utility-focused vehicle that can technically seat 7 and has a 1.2L/5spd powertrain. I think that's great! Everyone here will say how horrible it is but i have a strong appreciation of a car that is just designed to get the job done, as long as it is appropriately priced. If they sold that here for 12k, i'd like to think it would sell. I think it's about twice as cool as a Versa Sedan even if it does have less power and looks like a minivan.

There's nothing wrong With Nissan that a small RWD sports car can't fix.

To be honest, the thing putting me off of nissans more than anything is the CVT Trap. If nissan put a 6-8 spd auto in everything their entire lineup would be more appealing to me. I actually really like a lot of their current products and i think the new styling on a lot of stuff is working out great. The new Rogue and Pathfinder, for example, look about 138% better than the previous versions. I like the looks of the current Altima and the new Versa Note. I have generally favorable feelings about the old-ish Cube and 370z designs. I just really don't want a CVT.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CPP4qHAO4Wb4h7qJCPrk88jIW2QBsVjfIEEmWcHLnERio3a99hRpJTO6VwNsvMwH