1 2
The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
9/19/13 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I hear what you're saying but all I can think is that it looks like a fat first gen Honda Fit.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/20/13 12:24 a.m.
I hear what you're saying but all I can think is that it looks like a fat first gen Honda Fit.

They could do much worse! Have you seen the Versa SEDAN?

For the record i have the same feeling, but i see it as a good thing.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/20/13 1:01 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: There's nothing wrong With Nissan that a small RWD sports car can't fix.
yes, every car maker needs to have a car that only sells 10,000 units a year. really does wonders to the bottom line.

Then why do they bother? There has to be some benefit to the Toybaru. The Miata had to be good for something. The Corvette has to have survived all these years for some tangible reason.

BTW, I'm with the people here who said Datsun should do a 510. And by that I mean a really fun little sporty car disguised as a white goods sedan/hatch/wagon. That, it seems, is a way to make profits.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/20/13 6:48 a.m.

In reply to DaewooOfDeath:

As I've posted, they already have both and don't need to add another small volume car.

370 and Altima.

A small rwd car appeals to very few people. Especially when they are trying to sell a bunch of low prices cars.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/20/13 8:29 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to DaewooOfDeath: As I've posted, they already have both and don't need to add another small volume car. 370 and Altima. A small rwd car appeals to very few people. Especially when they are trying to sell a bunch of low prices cars.

The Altima is a fun car? The 370Z is cleverly disguised as white goods?

I think you misunderstood what I am saying. I didn't say they need a small volume fun car. I said they should do what historically does sell well - a fun car in a practical package. All those pictures, the manufacturers made A LOT of money on those cars.

So basically an Altima minus the dreary or a 370Z minus the impractical. You know, kind of like the 510 was.

So no, I don't think they need a sports car, for all the reasons you mentioned (though I am curious why you think anybody makes a sports car), but I do think they could use an EG Civic, a Ford Sierra, old Corolla, BMW 2002, E30, Mini Cooper or 205 GTI. All cheap, all practical, all fun, all profitable and, this is what really separates those from stuff like the Altima, desirable.

That would be an interesting way to use the low cost brand, especially if all those fun variants raided the parts bin as aggressively as possible. Doesn't have to be RWD, either. With Honda abandoning the "fun, practical fwd" market in their efforts to out-GM Toyota, seems like there's a niche ripe for exploitation. Hell, call it a Datsun Clio Cup and make a sedan version. Problem solved.

Random tangent, and this absolutely wouldn't work for Nissan/Renault/Datsun, but why couldn't you do a cheap RWD sedan if you can do a cheap, RWD truck?

Wouldn't the axles/engine/tranny from a 4 cylinder Tacoma bolt into a small or midsize sedan?

Genuinely curious, btw, not trying to imply I know more about the business than you - cause I clearly don't.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/20/13 10:14 a.m.

In reply to DaewooOfDeath:

Basically Nissan makes the cars you want, except that they don't meet your approval. Like I've posted, that's fine but don't be sad if they don't make a new one.

As for the truck rwd into a body, no it won't work. Packaging being the biggest reason as it would require a total redesign of the chassis to make the parts fit and be assembleable.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/20/13 10:26 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to DaewooOfDeath: Basically Nissan makes the cars you want, except that they don't meet your approval. Like I've posted, that's fine but don't be sad if they don't make a new one. As for the truck rwd into a body, no it won't work. Packaging being the biggest reason as it would require a total redesign of the chassis to make the parts fit and be assembleable.

Nissan makes what I want? No, I want those cars I mentioned. So did lots of people, hence each and everyone being a smashing sales success. Maybe you think I somewhere said if they just made a 15k Toybaru competitor with Webers it would save the company, but I didn't. I'm really confused. I also am not going to be sad if they don't make what I want, I just won't buy from them.

I didn't mean bolting a Tacoma drivetrain under a Corolla, I mean if they were designing a next generation whatever, would it really be that expensive if they raided the small truck parts bin?

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/20/13 10:56 a.m.

For engines and transmissions, probably not, but until they start selling unibody compact trucks here (sigh..) that's about as far as it would go.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
9/20/13 11:43 a.m.

Just as an aside:

I thought the Z car was going on a diet and getting a price cut to be a legitimate Frisbee fighter? Also I've heard rumors the Altima is getting the axe.

Virgo: I also have a soft spot for the Fit, but I'm a self admitted Mazda fanboi. I wish the US would be more accepting of smaller lighter weight fuel efficient hatches like developing countries are.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/20/13 1:45 p.m.

IF the Z car keeps getting smaller but keeps the same power level it would be pretty hard not to get excited about it. The 370Z is currently a pretty great sports car. If it dropped 2-300 lbs it would just be that much better.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/20/13 2:14 p.m.

In reply to DaewooOfDeath: Versa is very much like a 510. Cheap small underpowered.

370 is the rwd sports car.

And an Altima isn't a bad car, can be raced.

People forget that the 510 was a low powered cheap car. Nothing like the race car.

I guess I should not try to temper expectations anymore.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/20/13 2:35 p.m.

I am very dubious of the ability of a CVT altima to be raced. Ive taken one on a spirited test drive and come back with a horrible whining noise, and that was AFTER i decided i didn't like them! I admit i havent looked into failure rates among cvt-driving enthusiasts (i laughed when i wrote that) but nothing about the idea of a CVT behind a 270hp engine sounds 'durable' to me.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/20/13 7:21 p.m.
The0retical wrote: Just as an aside: *snip* Also I've heard rumors the Altima is getting the axe.

Altima Coupe is getting the axe. The Altima 4 door is Nissan's bread and butter.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/20/13 10:03 p.m.
I admit i havent looked into failure rates among cvt-driving enthusiasts (i laughed when i wrote that) but nothing about the idea of a CVT behind a 270hp engine sounds 'durable' to me.

So i DID look into it and, yeah, not confidence inspiring.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xf13EqwMN5Is429i6Fzamkpc3yjrQOlICMw0JjX8jSMlzNQFNPLLT6f0EV0naJQD