1 2
phillyj
phillyj Reader
1/3/09 12:38 p.m.

According to a survey done by the Tappet brothers of Car Talk Radio:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/Guy-Chick-Cars/

You guys won't like the results: Miata is #3 in the chick car list. Chick cars: 5. Dodge Neon 4. VW Jetta 3. Mazda Miata 2. VW Cabriolet 1. VW Beetle

Guy cars 5. Dodge Viper 4. Ford F-150 Pickup 3. Chevy Camaro 2. Chevy Corvette 1. Ford Mustang

Typical results?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/09 1:01 p.m.

Stereotypical results. Not all guys are macho meatheads who seem to suffer from penis/displacement envy and not all women are fashion-obsessed ditzes who want Malibu Barbie's Boulevard Cruiser (1)

(1) All terms used merely to aid illustration.

Appleseed
Appleseed New Reader
1/3/09 1:37 p.m.

People are retarded. An F-150 is not a car. If we get to cheat by adding trucks, I will trump all by saying M1A2 Abrams is the most manly man vehicle yet devised.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
1/3/09 1:46 p.m.

That's what you get for listening to Click and Clack.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/3/09 1:59 p.m.

I read somewhere that if Barbie had one, it's automatically a chick car.

Take that Corvette, Mustang, Jeep, and Hummer.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
1/3/09 2:19 p.m.

My Dad used to listen to Click and Clack back in the day. As I recall they have always been big car / V8 guys.

I remember a guy with a Toyota calling in with a question and they told him his problem was that he needed to buy a real car.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/3/09 2:39 p.m.
phillyj wrote: According to a survey done by the Tappet brothers of Car Talk Radio: http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/Guy-Chick-Cars/ You guys won't like the results: Miata is #3 in the chick car list. Chick cars: 5. Dodge Neon 3. Mazda Miata Guy cars 1. Ford Mustang Typical results?

I don't the the Neon has any gender preference. Most people just don't care about them. I see more guys in Miatas than women.

The Mustang varies a lot. I actually associate Mustangs with bleach-blondes and spray tans.

Daddy_Rocket
Daddy_Rocket New Reader
1/3/09 3:38 p.m.

Mustang over Corvette? F that.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
1/3/09 3:44 p.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: My Dad used to listen to Click and Clack back in the day. As I recall they have always been big car / V8 guys. I remember a guy with a Toyota calling in with a question and they told him his problem was that he needed to buy a real car.

I dont know, if you listen all you ever hear about is subarus with problems, but I think that has more to do with the NPR demographic that listens to the show.

Plus, one of them is always giving the other a hard time about his Fiat...

Joey

Daddy_Rocket
Daddy_Rocket New Reader
1/3/09 3:54 p.m.
derekshannon wrote: I'd own more cars on the "chick list" than the "guys list". Hmmmmmmm...

Does that mean you have the gay?

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
1/3/09 3:55 p.m.

The Car Talk guys aren't so bad - they've made a show about car repair the most listened-to show on (consider the audience here) National Public Radio - for two decades.

One of them drives a Fiat 124 and, I believe, a MG-TD. The other one raved for years about his Colt Vista Wagon.

I haven't listened much in the past 5 years, but I remember years ago when they said such icky things about the Chrysler minivan that they got sued... and lost.

Representing #2 on the girl car list: bludroptop

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
1/3/09 8:21 p.m.

They missed two of the girliest cars ever!

Honda Civic Del Sol

Jeep TJ

What more can you expect from someone who raves about a Colt Vista

Shawn

PorschesOnTheCheap
PorschesOnTheCheap New Reader
1/3/09 10:03 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: What more can you expect from someone who raves about a Colt Vista

Amen to that.

Car Craft published a list of "what the car your drive says about you" a few years ago. Here are the ones I remember:

Chevy Camaro: "I want to race"

Ford Mustang: "I like to beat the hell out of people"

Volvo Wagon: "I'm afraid of my wife"

Ford Crown Victoria: "I like to watch people slow to 55 as I approach in the left lane"

I think it's all a bunch of crap - both Click and clack and Car Crap...er Craft's lists. Car Craft's was funnier though (and probably intended to be)

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
1/3/09 10:17 p.m.

F-150? There is nothing manly about an automatic transimission.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/4/09 6:02 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: I will trump all by saying M1A2 Abrams is the most manly man vehicle yet devised.

Ahem sir...I beg to differ: I offer to substitute your M1A2 with the Millenium Falcon as the manliest vehicle ever!

...4cylndrfury for the win

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/09 8:27 a.m.

I have the number 3 on the "girly" list, and the number 2 on the "compensator" list. Does that mean I am number 1?

I think the Ark is the most manly vehicle ever, and it's truly grassroots.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/4/09 8:35 a.m.

F-150?? Most of the women I know here in Texas who are into Horsey stuff drive F-250s or F-350s. The 150s are for people who live in town who don't need to tow big horse trailers.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/4/09 9:34 a.m.
JohnW wrote: F-150? There is nothing manly about an automatic transimission.

the one i drove had a 5spd, , all I have to say is 5spd/4x4/ex cab/long bed SUCKS in bumper to bumper traffic

edit and putting it into 4 lo and going over the other cars wasn't an option, 4 lo didn't work. plus i hope we all remember the hummer that was stuck on top of that taurus.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
1/4/09 11:02 a.m.

Unless it's a modded valve body, clutch pack, and high stall converter in a modded V8 powered musclecar, barking the tires into every gear, even at partial throttle.

I really liked the mildly modded AOD in my V8 RX7. Very violent when being used hard, and almost not violent when being used gently.

As for the topic, Any car driving by a girl is a chick car, any car driven by a guy is a guy car. Even if they are the same cars. ;)

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/4/09 12:01 p.m.

A Honda CR-V is a damn girly car. Not girly enough to make the list, but also a very difficult car to appear manly in when driving one. lol

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
1/4/09 12:33 p.m.

That guy car list is only relevant if the owner has a mullet.

The girl car list is well represented at every autocross

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
1/4/09 4:29 p.m.
neon4891 wrote:
the one i drove had a 5spd, , all I have to say is 5spd/4x4/ex cab/long bed SUCKS in bumper to bumper traffic

Well, no one said being "manly" is easy. Haha. I know there are manuals out there (my brother had one), but the vast majority of F-150 owners ride around in air-conditioned comfort whilst never lifting their left foot.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/4/09 4:35 p.m.
JohnW wrote: Well, no one said being "manly" is easy. Haha. I know there are manuals out there (my brother had one), but the vast majority of F-150 owners ride around in air-conditioned comfort whilst never lifting their left foot.

My dad's auto F-150 was reasonably manly. It also had a lumber rack, and a 100gal fuel tank and pump in the bed. The pump was used to fuel old airplanes since auto gas is cheaper than av-gas. It was also used to haul horse feed and make dump runs.

Daddy_Rocket
Daddy_Rocket New Reader
1/4/09 7:54 p.m.
derekshannon wrote: No, and it's written as "ghey" I believe. As my avatar suggests, I'm merely a cross-dresser. I love the girls (I also love thier skirts).

Hah!

You have cleared up my confusion, sir!

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
1/5/09 12:25 a.m.

Also, you guys are blaming the hosts of the show, but this was a survey of the listeners, not Click and Clacks picks themselves.

Joey

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CHUQIJyFseZJ0s1irefscToutP97xR68MgMagjA3MBqZWFJOP4wfkHbQUVpPKd0I