1 2
Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/6/12 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

Better you than me. I refuse to ever work on that POS ever again. Having done the TB on my TDi a couple of times, the VW is effing logical compared to the Volvo.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
11/6/12 1:13 p.m.

Crylon fusion spray paint will get your plastic back to a fantastic glossy black.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/12 1:17 p.m.

went to the junk yard today.. walked out with two good looking door panels (I think this car was parked with the driver's side facing south as front and rear panels are cracked while the passengerside are pristine) and a tan seat in decent shape... 45 bucks.

Another question:

I need tyres. It has no name brand on it and one has a slow leak.. what other volvos "cross breed" there was a wrecked C70 in the yard with some nice looking rims on it

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/6/12 3:06 p.m.

Volvos of the 90's and before run 5x108 bolt pattern (except early 60's cars which had 5x4.5"). I'm reasonably sure most still are.

plance1
plance1 Dork
11/6/12 5:32 p.m.

Sorry to see u overpaid so much

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
11/7/12 11:05 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Another question: I need tyres. It has no name brand on it and one has a slow leak.. what other volvos "cross breed" there was a wrecked C70 in the yard with some nice looking rims on it

For the most part if it's a '94-'09ish FWD Volvo the wheels will "fit" there are exceptions, and some may need spacers to not rub when turning, but the bolt pattern for most is 5x108 and around 40mm offset. There are exceptions like the pre '05 S40 it's a 4 bolt wheel, and some of the bigger rubber on something like a S70 will likely rub a little on the inner fender on an 850 at full lock or with the suspension close fully compressed.

Volvo does have some sexy wheels. I search Craig's List for Volans, Teehys, and Propus wheels regularly. A set of Tritons have shown up a few times over the last couple of months but I really don't want 18" wheels or to part with the kind of money they've been listed for.

• Lee
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/7/12 11:56 p.m.

Nice looking car. Hope it works out for you better than mine did. I had a turbo wagon I sold last weekend for $1100, and I think I got the better end of the deal. If I ever hear the word Volvo again it will be too soon!

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/12 12:00 a.m.
plance1 wrote: Sorry to see u overpaid so much

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/12 12:01 a.m.

Anyway, I can't think of the last time I saw a 5-speed 850, since I've never seen one. Kudos to you, OP!

mad_machine
11/8/12 8:00 a.m.

Propus are what I have been looking at recently. Pretty rim and pricey, but made by BBS.. so they should hold up well.

The very first time I drove the car.. I kinda hated it. It felt floaty, darty, and unconnected to the road.. and then I realized I had just driven half an hour in a stiffly sprung and glued to the road 318ti.. almost any car would feel soft and numb in comparison. Further drives in the 850 have given me better confidence in this near luxury eurosports sedan.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
11/8/12 11:35 a.m.

The car is capable when pushed, but the overall feel doesn't really lend itself to spirited driving. I spent a fair bit of time "de-modding" the previous owner's attempt at making it sporty.

mad_machine
11/8/12 2:18 p.m.

I am intending on raiding IPD for their suspension stuff.. lowering springs, shocks/struts, swaybars, and a strut bar.. after that, it just need better tyres and rims.

I already have a decently compromised road/race car.. I do not need two. I am intending on making the 850 sporty, but not something my g/f needs a sports bra to ride in

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2iVHmHDAOR73VXf2jCfcGKUGWc7jmVofFLMIQi5ObfmWQ9KdOMlLbkybaUnbPnLB