1 2
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/24 1:25 p.m.

At first glance, I thought it was the dumpster.

spandak
spandak Dork
3/6/24 2:21 p.m.

I would rather look at a dumpster

well. Not really but you get it

At least they made a few to sell

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/6/24 2:43 p.m.

It looks totally out of place, like an alien object dropped from the sky. 

I do not find the design appealing, but I do think it's kinda badass.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
3/6/24 3:02 p.m.

one really fast dumpster

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/6/24 3:09 p.m.

There was one at the Cleveland Auto show, did not look better in the stainless.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/6/24 4:05 p.m.

Not a very good color match from one body panel to the next.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
3/6/24 4:11 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

That's part of the optional dystopian appearance package. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/6/24 4:13 p.m.

I've been seeing them regularly here in Texas for the last few weeks. People are going to have to learn how to care for the things, a couple of them I've seen look like they were washed with a muddy Scotchbrite.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
3/6/24 4:29 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

I've been seeing them regularly here in Texas for the last few weeks. People are going to have to learn how to care for the things, a couple of them I've seen look like they were washed with a muddy Scotchbrite.

That could definitely lead to some dissatisfied customers. Once the remove some of the oxide layer they could end up with discoloration or possibly corrosion if the oxide layer was remove by anything the might leave some free iron or non-stainless steel molecules behind. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
3/6/24 5:46 p.m.

Funny timing. Just passed one in Orange Beach, AL this morning dropping the kids off at school.....

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/6/24 6:17 p.m.
nderwater said:

I do not find the design appealing, but I do think it's kinda badass.

That's a good way of saying it. I don't like it, but admire the chutzpah it took to go all-in on such a polarizing design.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
3/6/24 6:19 p.m.

Most people do not understand that being corrosion resistant isn't the same as strong or hard. Lead is really corrosion resistant and has a consistency close to putty. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/6/24 6:27 p.m.

I've been on the lookout for one, but haven't spotted one yet.  I'm curious what my thoughts will be on the styling once I see one in person.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/24 6:30 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Just cross the bridge and you'll see it before you get to the center of town. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/6/24 7:48 p.m.

I don't have to want something to like it. This this is "interesting".

The lack of a steering column is interesting as it could only be to anyone who has done an engine swap and had to work around the blessed column. The stock 0-60 means this thing will never see an engine swap!

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
3/6/24 8:57 p.m.

As of two days ago, there's one in the lot at the Tesla repair center on north Research blvd in Austin Texas.  Couldn't take a photo since I was driving when I spotted it.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/6/24 10:17 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

Most people do not understand that being corrosion resistant isn't the same as strong or hard. Lead is really corrosion resistant and has a consistency close to putty. 

And as it pertains to stainless steel, corrosion resistance is pretty much the opposite of strength and hardness.  The alloys that are best suited to stand up to the elements are also the ones that are the most delicate.  I'm curious what stainless alloy they used for those body panels; if it's anything in the 300 series, it will be much more prone to dents and deformation than the regular old rolled sheet steel that everyone else uses.  And if it's something like 17-4 or 17-7, expect to see a lot of rusty Cybertrucks driving around out there.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
3/6/24 10:53 p.m.

"Elon Musk has confirmed high quality 300 series stainless steel as their engineering team’s material of choice for the Cybertruck."

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
3/6/24 11:15 p.m.

I'm left feeling like the cybertruck is a part of an elaborate joke that Elon is playing on the rest of the world. 

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/7/24 1:47 a.m.

A friend from SoCal sent this the other day.. Not sure if it's actual vandalism or owner trying to be funny...

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
3/7/24 7:45 a.m.

I don't understand why people aren't getting them wrapped right away.

Should be much easier vs clear issues when removing wraps.

In terms of environmental impact and cost, removing the paint shop in automotive assembly is HUGE.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/24 9:39 a.m.

Plenty of shiny deloreans still out there. I'm excited to see how these bodies hold up.

I agree with the "it's certainly not for me but I find it fascinating" statements. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/7/24 9:42 a.m.

Is that windshield one piece??!!  It's HUUUUUUUUGE.  I understand why, obviously it's a byproduct of the design, but holy hell.  That's gotta be a tough one to replace, haha. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/7/24 9:46 a.m.

In case anyone is interested:

No Time
No Time UltraDork
3/7/24 12:19 p.m.

Interesting video, and a lot of technology that I didn't realize was incorporated into the cyber truck. I am disappointed they spent so much time at the drag strip and skipped over any "truck" stuff. 

One interesting tidbit was the Model X vs Model Y discussion at the end.

I wonder if the cyber truck will also be followed by a more conventional looking model that builds market share beyond what the cyber truck generates from its innovation and polarizing looks?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dRMXXmpFrOMQG6Z7GpUF90quHvgPjmjrtIqXvJAz4Iqp2gA0SlimgUPxIEeO3Ggb