1 2
dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/7/24 9:33 p.m.

I enjoyed the review, it seems like a neat vehicle. Would have liked more of a review of the functionality (bed, towing, payload, interior room, etc.), as well, but as learned a lot and was entertained. I didn't know how safe Teslas were (aside from when they're on fire).

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/14/24 7:21 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

Do you happen to know what alloy the Delorian used? 
I remember a ton of reasons folks did not like them, but I don't rememer "denting too easy" being one. Mayhem 'cause there were so many others!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
3/14/24 7:24 p.m.

Saw one in traffic in Fr Lauderdale just a few minutes ago. 
Just as ugly in person, as I assumed it'd be... not saying I wouldn't be proud to rock one, given the chance!

uqly is definitely not a deal breaker for me!

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
3/14/24 7:43 p.m.

We see a few of them here in Tahoe. This area has a pretty high opened uptake in high end EVs in general. Lots of Rivians here. I kinda wonder how they do in snow. Stainless doesn't look good covered in road schmutz when the snow melts. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
3/14/24 10:50 p.m.

I saw one when I was at lunch with some buddies. Their consensus is that they're essentially doing what the HumVee did, be bigger and more showy than anything around, without actually having much useful purpose. It's more about "Look what I can do."

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
3/16/24 10:31 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Yeah, it's sadly kind of a hype machine for your instagram more than something that's unique form is the result of engineering or purpose.

I'm especially a fussy little internet voice because of some of the potential they missed out on. You've got all these flat hard spaces and the outer shell never became the origami structure like you claimed- it still has body panels. Why not go full cyberpunk and cover it in the solar panels from the solar company you already own, or even tease it as a possibility? They're already doing a solar tonnaeu cover, so why not test the waters?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/18/24 11:32 a.m.

Saw one on a new car hauler last week. It’s, um, something. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/18/24 11:40 a.m.

Is this Elon Musks should probably have done a movie with it, just like John Delorean did with his car.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
3/18/24 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Slaughterhaus :

Interwebz says 6800 ish lbs. My 2004 Suburban 2500 went across the scales at 6900 lbs with nothing in it and a mostly full tank of gas. It's not really all that unique in terms of weight vs. other large trucks on the road.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/19/24 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Slaughterhaus :

I would rather not find out. 

porschenut
porschenut Dork
3/19/24 12:21 p.m.

Maybe in a hundred years all trucks will look like that.  So put in a garage somewhere until then so the ugly stays hidden.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/19/24 12:34 p.m.

Wow, and I though Jay Leno was the president of the More Money than Brans club. =~ 0

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/19/24 12:57 p.m.

A couple of truckloads of them arrived in KC recently, the dealer has them all lined up - I assume ready for delivery. Just found out last night that some very good friends have had a deposit down on one since they were announced - now I wonder if they'll go thru with the buy if their number gets called?

If they do and I get to drive it, I'll report back.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
3/19/24 5:47 p.m.

I got up close and personal with one at Unplugged last week.  They are pretty damn cool.

Maybe (definitely?) not for everyone, but the fit and finish isn't really any worse than my F150.  I dig the stainless.  The panels feel awesome, super rigid and purposeful.

https://unpluggedperformance.com/

Take a look - these guys do some cool stuff.  

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/24 6:26 p.m.

It seems that accessories have the potential to look really good on this truck. Since it's lines are so spare, the baubles will jump out more. Think about how fashion models are walking clothes racks. Same here.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/19/24 7:18 p.m.

You can bauble it till the cows come home and it'll still be one ugly, out of place looking sumbitch.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/19/24 10:13 p.m.

I'm pretty surprised not to have seen one here in the DC area, where my daily commute is full of "whatever the hot new thing for people with disposable income" is. I see a dozen Rivians every day, both the pickup and SUVs. A billion Teslas around here in general (my neighborhood is full of the ultra-boring white Model Y in every 5th driveway). But no CTs. 

Not that I want to see another one. The one at the DC car show was worse in person than in pics, IMO. I don't think CT is particularly ugly (like Pontiac Aztek ugly). I just think CT looks functionally and ergonomically stupid. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tsRPEyIIr7MOrF567jA9njLcKwLiDFrR3j9bHgdvw1AXZ4KMlyLYxmTfEFCy4WvO