1 2
Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
3/16/15 6:59 p.m.

Right now my daily driver is a Crown Vic LX Sport which is really clean (actually has a moonroof). I love it, it's a reliable dog and gets me to work safely, quietly, and is a relaxing drive. On the weekends however I sort of wished it was more zippy and easier to park. I find myself saying, I WISH THEY MADE A TWO DOOR VIC. So my search for a weekend sweetheart lead me down a dark path with Corvairs. I'm now on the other side and it seems like $5,000 can get you a 5.0 '93 Foxbody that's semi unmolosted, something like this for example on ebay.

What do you guys think, you think that would compliment my Crown Vic well? '93 is not too far off cheap car insurance, no inspection, and vintage plate.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/16/15 7:05 p.m.

Well, Ford DID make a Fairmont coupe if you really want to follow your original thought to its logical conclusion...also the Lincoln Mark VIII if you just want a big RWD Ford coupe.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
3/16/15 7:08 p.m.

I think part of the fun of owning the Stang would be building it up too over the years. I had originally planned to build out the Vic, but keeping it stock would be nice.

SlickDizzy
3/16/15 7:12 p.m.

If that's your plan, I wouldn't spend $5k on a virgin survivor just to turn it into something that isn't.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
3/16/15 7:15 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: If that's your plan, I wouldn't spend $5k on a virgin survivor just to turn it into something that isn't.

True, I usually like to do the work as stuff breaks. Instead of replacing it with something stock, I use it as a good opportunity to swap something out. Right now it seems like foxbody virgin survivor go for $10k. $5k now seems to get you something which isnt an absolute basketcase.

SlickDizzy
3/16/15 7:21 p.m.

My experience when I was looking heavily at Foxes is that there is a massive rift between fully-built monsters and clean stock ones where they almost become worth less the more they are modified. Generally nobody wants to mess with someone else's project, so you can get an absolute screaming deal on some solid cars with a few bolt-ons for quite a bit less than that one on eBay.

All I'm saying is that you might as well take advantage and get some go-fast parts included in the package if you are going to modify it anyway, because the one in that ad will never be worth more than it sells for right now if you start putting aftermarket stuff on it.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
3/16/15 7:23 p.m.

aint that the darn truth, good thinking. So it's probably best to find some with bolt on stuff, as opposed to big projects, unless it is done right.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/16/15 8:38 p.m.

Psst.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
3/16/15 8:52 p.m.

I was into Mustangs for decades, and as I get older I am tending to look at the T-Birds over the Fox body Stangs. Unless it is a special version (SVO/McLaren/SSP) car, I usually look the other way.

That being said, you should be able to find a good example for your price point.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
3/16/15 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Coldsnap:

Let me guess. You bought the blacked out CV Sport on CV.net? If so, that was a good deal on a great car!

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
3/17/15 5:14 a.m.

Depending on your goals, you might want the '93. IIRC, that year had forged pistons - better for forced induction.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/17/15 6:33 a.m.

Available until 1987. Just another option if you're wanting a two door car.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
3/17/15 7:24 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Available until 1987. Just another option if you're wanting a two door car.

I want that, but in Mercury form.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/17/15 8:03 a.m.

In reply to neon4891:

Their GM B-body counterpart seems soooo much better though, right?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
3/17/15 8:20 a.m.
neon4891 wrote:
pres589 wrote: Available until 1987. Just another option if you're wanting a two door car.
I want that, but in Mercury form.

I owned that in black. Slowest thing I've ever driven. And that's coming from a '73 Beetle and Samurai driver.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/15 8:34 a.m.

I like the idea of the Tbird or cougar. Everybody expects the mustang

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
3/17/15 8:53 a.m.
Sanchinguy wrote: Depending on your goals, you might want the '93. IIRC, that year had forged pistons - better for forced induction.

You have it flip-flopped, '86-'92 had forged pistons. '93-'95 had cast/hypereutectic. :)

O.P.:

Have you considered a Lincoln Mark VII?

;)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/15 9:35 a.m.

I have seen them.. but there is something wrong with a MK VII with straight pipes.. the mind does not compute luxury with raw power

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/17/15 10:17 a.m.

I also vote t-bird. Fly under the radar. Pun intended

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
3/17/15 11:30 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

I sold that one , I'm talking about the '92. It's 100% stock.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
3/17/15 12:50 p.m.

I have an '88 LX 5.0L, fun car. Mine is a low km, never seen winter. Wind up windows and no A/C, just fired it up today, first crank.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/17/15 1:21 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Well, Ford DID make a Fairmont coupe if you really want to follow your original thought to its logical conclusion...also the Lincoln Mark VIII if you just want a big RWD Ford coupe.

Mark VII is cooler IMO.

If I were to buy any ford from that era it would be a Mark VII and I would manual swap it and put a 351 in. Or find one with that already done, I have seen many and I REALLY want one.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
3/17/15 1:26 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: In reply to mad_machine: I sold that one , I'm talking about the '92. It's 100% stock.

I liked the loud Mk VII It was wrong in all the right ways.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
3/17/15 3:27 p.m.

I was also going to suggest a Ford Thunderbird. It is theee definition of a two door luxury cruiser. They look good. Adults can also fit in the back!

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
3/17/15 4:42 p.m.

Ford thunderbird is a strong contender. But I think that's too much like the Vic itself, more of the same. Wouldn't a stang be a better companion for the vic?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wIifi772Nsh4cADzq7C0HddzqgDIvCsjLw17GSrGSMKXbZMlrQQ1kN2EZGq1pccl