1 2
D2W
D2W New Reader
3/17/15 5:14 p.m.

I have an 88 5.0 notch with all the upgrades like mass flow, an explorer v8 with a cam and cobra intake, 5 speed, ect. Not virgin but not stupid. Its a good driver but in no way a show queen. She is also already vintage so no smog. I plan on selling her this spring and would make a fellow GRMer a deal. If you're interested PM me a number or email and I'll send you some pictures and a better description.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
3/17/15 5:16 p.m.

PM sent!

Will
Will SuperDork
3/17/15 6:31 p.m.
Coldsnap wrote: Ford thunderbird is a strong contender. But I think that's too much like the Vic itself, more of the same. Wouldn't a stang be a better companion for the vic?

In the first post you said you wished for a 2-door Vic, so now I'm not sure exactly what kind of car you want.

If you want a relatively small 2-door RWD Ford, get a Fox body Mustang.

If you want a RWD Ford with 2 doors that's larger, more comfortable, and has room for more than 2 grown humans in it, get a Thunderbird or Mark series.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
3/17/15 7:07 p.m.
Will wrote:

This thing is cool - I presume mustang go fast parts all bolt up?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/17/15 7:31 p.m.

Just looked at the ebay listing and cant believe that thing went for 6 grand. I guess they are kind of like SRT4 Neons where even though it is mostly a boring/crappy car with a 'big' motor stuck in it, so many of them have been destroyed that nice ones bring way more $$ than the car itself would seem to merit. $14k 10-year-old neons, $6k not-very-nice fox bodies. Eesh. If not for what i guess is now the rarity factor i would have called that mustang a ~$3200-3600 car.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/17/15 7:35 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i:

Very few, since that's an MN12, not a Fox body car.

The 5.0 was available in the 91-93 MN12 (the one above is a 92, IIRC, and it has a 392). Obviously, all Windsor-based engine parts will bolt up (except chassis-specific stuff like headers), but the suspensions are completely different. MN12 has 4-wheel unequal length control arms; Fox has Macstruts front, triangulated 4-link rear.

Those wheels are most likely in the MN12 bolt pattern (clones of popular styles are available in 5x108), but it is possible to swap 99-04 Cobra hubs into the MN12 so it accepts 5x4.5 wheels.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
3/17/15 7:58 p.m.

Yea, that thing going for $6k sort of took the wind out of my sails. Hopefully it went so much because it's just stock, and some people see it as a survivor even though it looks pretty beat up to me.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
3/17/15 8:54 p.m.
Coldsnap wrote: Yea, that thing going for $6k sort of took the wind out of my sails. Hopefully it went so much because it's just stock, and some people see it as a survivor even though it looks pretty beat up to me.

Trunk tax. The only reason it hit that price is because it is a coupe.

You could pick up an lx hatch in that condition for 3200-4000 no problem. People pay too much for coupes, especially factory 5.0 5-speed ones.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/17/15 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Cooper_Tired:

Agreed. I was actually surprised the price was so low until I read the entire description and how much it needs. I've seen stock, really clean LX 5spd notch-backs sell for well over $10K - and close to $20K if the mileage is low enough. Personally, that car had enough issues and high enough miles that I wouldn't have had much of a problem with turning it into a track-rat.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
3/17/15 9:46 p.m.

Gotcha, hatch it is.

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal New Reader
3/18/15 3:32 p.m.

I just spent quite a while in the market for early-90s LX 5.0 motor, trans, and EFI for a project. The market was flaky enough that I soon also started actively checking the market for one on the hoof in the lower-priced ranges in Craigslist.

At least around here, there are a LOT of them on offer, and the prices are low. I got one that had been extensively freshened up for something quite a bit less than $5k. See the website in my sig for more info.

I've had it for about six weeks and it's a good car. I can see why people like them. But it's not my thing, and I'm pithing it soon.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/18/15 3:54 p.m.

If you really want a Fox Mustang with a trunk, get an SN95. The weight difference is negligible, especially the later years, and the SN95 has a ton of advantages out of the box.

I will say that I've seen some '86 Mustang sedans in the right color combinations that really look nice to me. But consider the SN95. And for some reason they're cheaper than comparable condition Foxen.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/18/15 4:08 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

Agreed. SN95s are at the bottom of the depreciation curve right now, to the point where I have been seeing decent 94-95 5-speed GTs going for Challenge pricing. Heck, you can find SN95 Cobras for what a solid Fox body fetches these days! The "girly" dated 90's styling seems to kill the appeal for the mullet mafia so they are an incredible bargain at the moment.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/18/15 5:39 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

To be honest, there's really nothing that special about the 94-95 Cobra when compared to the GT of the same year, though. 96-up Cobras at least offer the DOHC compared to the SOHC in the GT.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/18/15 5:55 p.m.

In reply to Will:

The 94-95 Cobra has the front brake swap already done, and worse ignition timing to save the trans. Two steps forward, two steps back? I really prefer the early SN95 styling to most any of the Fox cars, although a lot of them came in not so great color combinations. Grey & black interiors are okay, but teal? That weird Mystic stuff? Purple? Etc. The interiors seem to hold up better than the Fox cars, although they have their challenges, like leather seats that are pretty well toast at this point or the door panels that scratch and look garbage on a lot of them.

Now that I think of it, to the guy that started this thread, just skip the SN95 and go straight to a BMW 3-series. I'm thinking E36 chassis 328i.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
3/18/15 6:03 p.m.

The only way to find a cheap notchback in this day and age is too start with a 4 cylinder car and build what you want. foxbody prices have started going nuts in the last few years. Around here you can get a fairly clean hatch for about 1/2 of what a comparable notch goes for. Many people like myself do not like the look of the hatch cars near as much.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
3/19/15 9:24 a.m.

Awesome, thanks for all the information. I will do some research about the SN95s. Hatchbacks have grown on me a lot, I wouldn't mind one. I'm not really looking for a collectible anyways, something to enjoy and eventually sell.

As far as the BMW 3-series, I'm worried once I get that I'll never drive the crown vic. haha.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
3/19/15 9:25 a.m.
Jamey_from_Legal wrote: I just spent quite a while in the market for early-90s LX 5.0 motor, trans, and EFI for a project. The market was flaky enough that I soon also started actively checking the market for one on the hoof in the lower-priced ranges in Craigslist. At least around here, there are a LOT of them on offer, and the prices are low. I got one that had been extensively freshened up for something quite a bit less than $5k. See the website in my sig for more info. I've had it for about six weeks and it's a good car. I can see why people like them. But it's not my thing, and I'm pithing it soon.

Cool, I'll check out the car in your sig. Seems like there's some good info there.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/20/15 10:12 p.m.

I actually really like the styling of the SN95s vs the Fox or New Edge ones and i think it's the last mustang that was 'the right size'. I hate gutless mod 4.6s but i think the two-year 5.0 SN95 is pretty ok even though it isnt much if any faster.

Ive driven stock 5.0/sn95 coupes and convertibles and i think it's a pretty good starting point for what you can get them for. I also think they ride like crap and arent fast, but that's why i said starting point.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/20/15 11:03 p.m.

I have a 1995 GT coupe that I bought about 6 years ago. Sometimes I wish I would of held out for a nice Fox notch. One thing about the 5L SN95s is that the stock engine computer doesn't play well with engine mods. Or at least it is more sensitive to mods.

One of these days I'll finally throw the GT40 heads and Explorer intake on and stab the TFS1 cam in. Someday. Maybe. LOL

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/21/15 7:50 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle:

Was 95 when US manufacturers started moving to OBD II? If so, that might explain the mod sensitivity.

A coworker has a '96 SN95 GT he's had for many years. It's always been his secondary car (also a 'vert) so it only gets 3-4K miles a year. While the interior does have that cheap feel like most cars from that era, it's still in good condition thanks to garage living.

I agree about the E36 vs Stang debate... hard one. While I know there E36 is a better car, there is a certain appeal to the "big hammer" nature of a V8 pony car.

penultimeta
penultimeta New Reader
3/21/15 9:30 a.m.

Not sure if you're a Ford loyalist or not, but SN95+LS1. You'll piss off all the right people and have a killer machine. Also, the nice thing about the SN95 is that you can pick up chassis parts (think Griggs, MaximumMotorsports) from pretty much any fox bodied stang in junkyards, craigslist, etc. This makes scavenging for performance parts a much cheaper (and interesting) affair.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G3vL1BtaCc04v9eOQqzKnKOHRKBvo6p5k5NmgLF04JK0xWMeHbillHWrSLrtGdSE