1 2 3
mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/30/09 8:50 p.m.

Thanks for all the help guys. This board is great

First of all the wife won't stand for putting the dogs in the bed with a cap or not. I wish she would and that may change but right now the dogs are her babies and I have no chance in this argument.

The current 6 wagon is nowhere near big enough for twins and 2 80lb retreivers. It could be sold and I could replace it with an older truck and still might do that. The problem is that she wants something that is fairly loaded for her (navi, DVD etc) I am trying to reason with her but she is pregnant so I am losing badly right now. She requires a vehicle that can carry all of us on trips to the relatives and that appears to be non-negotiable.

Interestingly enough she is demanding that we get a vehicle that can tow so that I can still go to the track. It might be infrequent but she wants it to continue as often as possible.

The whole issue here is that she is not very comfortable in a big vehicle so she has ruled out a Suburban but maybe I can snaek that in with more seat time for her. The Navigator/Expedition is a good option but some of her requirements (back-up camera) hurt this option.

May still get a minivan and an old truck but that doesn't seem any cheaper with the options that she wants. The 6 wagon is great and would be wonderful to keep as we have had it since new.

Thanks again. I appreciate the input!

griffin729
griffin729 New Reader
6/30/09 8:52 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I think you can get big vans with 4WD if you need it

Yes, but they are quite rare.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
6/30/09 9:01 p.m.
mattm wrote: The Navigator/Expedition is a good option but some of her requirements (back-up camera) hurt this option.

Seems to me that there should be some aftermarket options if a back up camera is non-negotiable. I suspect that it is easy to find an Expedition/Navigator with that beepy-back up option.
My buddy who bought the Navigator found that his wife was not interested in being seen driving a truck but was happy to be seen in that truck. The Navigator has all the fancy bits but there is still a capable truck underneath.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
6/30/09 9:10 p.m.

I want to throw curve at you, try the Ford E350 diesel Chateau, it will tow anything, has 7 seats, loads of room, and has a very nice interior, I have a 94 E150 with 351 and love it, but the rust is winning, I am considering a newer E350 diesel to replace it.

David_Chong
David_Chong New Reader
6/30/09 9:13 p.m.
mattm wrote: David, Are you talking about the 2008 and up Sequoia or the previous version? It appears to me that the 2007 Yukon vs the 2007 Sequoia is no contest, but in favor of the Yukon. I am sure that the newer Sequoia is better but it is also more expensive in my experience. I do like the New Tundra and Sequoia but there are fewer of them and more expensive.

I am talking about ~4-5 year old vintage; vehiles in the $10K range. I haven't shopped the current generation. I found a 2002 Sequoia Limited in excellent (not just great, but truly excellent) condition for $8500. The Yukons I test drove in the $10K-$15K range just didn't hold a candle to the seating comfort or on-road performance of the Sequoia. It pulls my loaded 16' trailer like an afterthought, which is also nice.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/30/09 10:06 p.m.

If this helps at all, the dogs being inside the vehicle unsecured will hurt her real babies WAY more than if they are in the bed with a cap on. Think about an 80lb dog flying towards the front of the car in a 50 mph crash, now multiply that times 2. just my .02.

I retract my original post in this thread.

NBS2005
NBS2005 Dork
6/30/09 10:22 p.m.
wherethefmi wrote: If this helps at all, the dogs being inside the vehicle unsecured will hurt her real babies WAY more than if they are in the bed with a cap on. Think about an 80lb dog flying towards the front of the car in a 50 mph crash, now multiply that times 2. just my .02.

+1

A friend of ours who was a Sheriff deputy in San Diego used to say "take whatever is not strapped down in your car and smack it in your face as hard as you can. If you're happy with how that feels, leave it lose in the car. If you have kids, imagine it hitting them in the face".

Dogs need to be secure in a vehicle. Harnesses are available. Gates for the third row that are secure will also work. Wherethefmi is absolutely correct.

Add my .02 to his.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/30/09 10:44 p.m.

So that's a total of .04 woo hoo.

tuna55
tuna55 New Reader
7/1/09 6:32 a.m.

Yeah man, they are way safer in the back of a truck for your family.

I am a big numbers guy, and like I said, now isn't the time to be taking on more debt, so unless your wife is planning on making mega bucks to pay for all of her 'necessities' get rid of everything you own and buy a 94 Civic DX for her at 3K, a 85 F150 for towing at 2K and a Chevy Venture for the fam at 5K. Whatever the cars really end up being, if it were my family, I would add up the likely sale prices of both the 6 and the Tundra and get three cars to fit within that envelope.

A Legacy Wagon can easily do what a Minivan does, minus the third row of seats, which you really don't need. Dogs will be better off in a flat cargo area like a wagon anyway instead of on a seat. a nicer 2000 Wagon can be yours for around 4K. This is way easier than your making it. Just refuse to take out more debt. Tell her your paranoid about being able to feed your whole family (you will be for real once the kids are around anyway). Wanting Navi is fine, but paying for it is another.

Like I said, it's silly to own two vehicles that can both haul everyone. Just get one that can do that, and one commuter to save money for whomever isn't hauling the fam around that day. This means getting rid of the 6, it just no longer serves its purpose and it's worth too much to hang on to.

Just my opinion, but I like owning things that I own. Does she plan to go back to work after the kids? Be wary as that may take more time than you think to actually happen. have you considered day care costs in your calculations? The first year barrage of medical care for the two? The baby food? The diapers? The toys? Cribs, and other junk? It's going to be crazy expensive. Unless I was in a very secure financial surplus situation, I would be looking to adjust my vehicular situation to net me some cash to sit on.

Also, on a complete sidenote, do you have an emergency fund built up? With kids it's way more important. You can live on ramen noodles if you loose your job, but your kids can't live without that stuff. Basically, add up your expenses for a 6 month period. Do you have that in the bank? If not, get it before the kids are born.

-Brian

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/1/09 6:53 a.m.

I'll agree....Twins are EXPENSIVE!!!! My wife and I went through 5 years of diapers. (we have a 5.5 yo and Twin 4 year olds)

it is amazing how much Diapers/Formula/toys/clothes/etc can be for such tiny little people

tuna55
tuna55 New Reader
7/1/09 7:49 a.m.

Why is everyone mentioning AWD or 4WD? Do you live in the snow or something? Other than serious snow duty (coming from the guy who did years in Syracuse NY (192" record) with a 81 Camaro) you don't really need it.

At any rate, it sounds like you guys are aiming far above what you will be able to really comfortably afford after kids. Be careful.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/1/09 8:01 a.m.

get the suburban or yukon/tahoe.

my dad's burb gets 15-17 hwy mpg, tows cars like a dream at 80mph, and it recently turned 300k miles.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
7/1/09 11:28 a.m.

I'm amazed that you think you will have time for racing.

tuna55
tuna55 New Reader
7/1/09 12:11 p.m.

Yeah man, like many of us said earlier, you really won't. I have been trying to restore my GMC pickup, and from the time my son was -2 months to about 11 months old, I was not in the garage. EVER. If you want to be a good Dad and Husband (I hate saying stuff like that), you won't be on the track for at least six months after they are born.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
7/1/09 12:21 p.m.

...sounds like yet another reason to avoid having kids, not only will I have way less time in the shop, but then people will be giving me a guilt trip if I DO find time to get out in the garage because I'm not a good enough father/husband if I'm in the garage.

Sheesh!

Bryce

tuna55
tuna55 New Reader
7/1/09 12:24 p.m.

I was hoping it really wouldn't come out that way. Basically what I am saying is that you'd have to abandon your weary wife and needy child to take more than an hour to something like that assuming you work a full time job.

Cotton
Cotton Reader
7/1/09 12:52 p.m.
Nashco wrote: ...sounds like yet another reason to avoid having kids, not only will I have way less time in the shop, but then people will be giving me a guilt trip if I DO find time to get out in the garage because I'm not a good enough father/husband if I'm in the garage. Sheesh! Bryce

amen to that

David_Chong
David_Chong New Reader
7/1/09 1:16 p.m.

Shame on you guys, you're missing the forest for the trees! Like all good things, the kiddos are an investment. Six months out of the shop now, but in a few short years you get a pair of shop assistants. After a few more you get free labor on oil changes and routine maintenance. About the same time, the excuse meter with the wife gets a massive boost when you get to say, "Honey, I know we have many choices this weekend, with the wine festival and everything, but I don't want to let the kids down and so I am going to suck it up and haul them out to the (track/desert/strip/etc.) so we can have our bonding time. You have a great time at the festival and we'll stay in touch by cell."

Come on guys, didn't anyone learn you this stuff?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
7/1/09 1:46 p.m.

Having had three (younger) siblings and growing up around cars, I'm not buying that for a second. A far better alternative, IMO, is having a girl that likes to go to the track/desert/strip with you. Ok, so I still have to change the oil and rotate the tires, but I greatly appreciate that last weekend we picked between going rallycrossing or working on the $2009 car. Life is full of tough choices!

Bryce

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/1/09 2:14 p.m.

I have 2 with another on the way in December (were popping them out quick). I figure right now they aren't that expensive, there are ways to save money, cloth diapers is a huge savings. And if you qualify WIC is another. All told those 2 things have saved me thousands. I will say that you aren't going to fit 3 car seats in a row in a Subaru, just not physically possible without riding with the doors open. Keep things the way they are, make the wife understand and be done with it. Hell just buy the cap for the truck install it, then use her pregnant brain to your advantage. Be like "what you said that this is what we were doing" and stick to that story.

tuna55
tuna55 New Reader
7/1/09 2:32 p.m.

Wait, three car seats? I thought he was having twins, that's just two car seats...

S2
S2 New Reader
7/1/09 7:18 p.m.

I'd love to tell you that the Legacy wagon could do all that, but it can't any more than the Mazda 6 wagon can. We love ours, but with two kids, we are maxed out if we travel- no way we could fit dogs, and that is with the largest car top carrier that fits the car. We can't even fit another car seat or person in if we wanted to- the beam is too narrow. Oh, and we tend to pack light normally- kids' stuff expands exponentially.

We're in the same hunt long term, so I'm watching this thread. Good stuff.

Iggy- that biodiesel excursion is not helping! S2

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
7/1/09 7:42 p.m.

Congratulations on the twins. The dogs will likely become dogs as the kids will be the real baby's pretty soon.

I usually like to push minivan's as they are better than suv's in many aspects like ease of entry space and mpg but they can't touch the towing ability of the Denali. They came with a towing package which is easy to spot as there will be a trans temp gauge on the dash.

I borrowed my uncle's Denali to tow a car home once, honestly could not tell I was towing something. He bought it new for 48k, traded it in last year for 15k. Hell of a buy for 15k. It had the 6.3L, which you could only get in the denali, not in the GMC version.

I think they are GREAT buys in the used car/truck market. It is a very capable very reliable luxury vehicle. Also, the second row had heated leather seats. Not just the front seats.

If you need it, I think it is hard to beat.

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
7/1/09 7:45 p.m.

My uncle has jumped between the large Ford and GM SUV's since the 90's, and in my opinion the GM's outclass the Fords.

Also, he did not get the suburban as it was too long for his garage. The Yukon Denali fit fine. Something to think about.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/1/09 7:57 p.m.

whoops I misread I thought twins were here with one on the way, still, any 2 row seating car is going to suck with 2 car seats, there's never room between them for a small child let alone an adult, ask me how I know?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j90wLkUqklO7S3z3qEwwy3MyqWqrtg2V2KDDoS1nKvFTsAL2yBDPycmDEy2Zvep5