1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/10/16 9:41 a.m.

Here's a link to sign the petition against this:

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2016FED1&g=SEMAGA&utm_source=ET&utm_medium=email&utm_content=50756237&utm_campaign=LegAlert

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
2/10/16 10:22 a.m.

That petition was started yesterday. It was at about 32,000 signatures when I signed it this morning. Now it's reading over 47,000 just a few hours later. They said it needs 100,000 signatures in 30 days... hopefully this will get that by tomorrow.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
2/10/16 10:55 a.m.

Signed!

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
2/10/16 11:33 a.m.

signed

54K plus so far

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
2/10/16 12:18 p.m.
Kreb wrote: So, no more dedicated race engines (unless they meet certain standards), no more smoky lawnmowers, et cetera.

Doesn't sound like all that horrible of a world to live in.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/10/16 12:52 p.m.
ncjay wrote: Maybe, just maybe, someone at the EPA is tired of seeing this.

good thing it will only ever apply to that, and never ever to this:

or this:

or this:

or this:

because if government agencies are known for anything, it's for never, ever allowing things to creep past their original intent...

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/10/16 1:23 p.m.

Is the EPA not just another division of Homeland Security? I seem to recall something about that when they were busy defending the country from some seriously nasty Rover owners.

If they are, petitions ain't gonna help.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
2/10/16 2:28 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Totally separate agencies. CBP siezed those dirty nasty unsafe red coat cars that Land Rover dealers didn't sell for a profit here in freedom land as the enforcement arm since they were illegally imported goods under the Mercades Benz dealer protection act.

Edit: Oooo the cynicism is going to run deep today.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
2/10/16 2:43 p.m.

Signed. over 75K signatures now.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
2/10/16 2:46 p.m.

So everyone is still signing a useless petition?

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
2/10/16 3:01 p.m.
The Hoff wrote: So everyone is still signing a useless petition?

NEVER go down without a fight. Ever.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
2/10/16 3:03 p.m.

With it being an official government petition, at least it should be going to somebody official, which is more than I can say about most online petitions.

I also plan to write to my Congressmen, who may also be useless but it may be more effective than the petition.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/10/16 3:04 p.m.

I went to sign it, then realized that is was most likely an e-mail harvester scheme and since I live in Canada, my opinion is of no interest to Washington.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
2/10/16 3:11 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Its a .gov site, and seems legit enough. At the end of the day, anything out there that shows a substantial opposition to what they are trying to do is good in my book. There are better ways for them to go about this.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
2/10/16 4:14 p.m.

It's not about going down without a fight, there is no going down that needs fighting.

There is no proposed law, it's just a media hoax/blunder pushed by SEMA.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a28135/heres-what-the-epas-track-car-proposal-actually-means/

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/02/no-the-epa-isnt-making-it-illegal-to-turn-an-old-car-into-a-race-car/

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/epa-road-car-racecar-conversions-020916

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/10/16 4:26 p.m.

If the rolling coal crew is big part of this, it's just another reason to hate their halfwit asses.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/10/16 4:43 p.m.

What the article is telling you is that you were screwed some time ago but did not realize it.

Cars Technica / All things automotive said: Here are the facts: nothing has meaningfully changed. Yes, other reports stated that if this proposal passes, it will be illegal to tamper with or remove emissions equipment from model-year 2018 and later road-going cars, pickups, and light-duty vehicles, even when converted solely for use on a racetrack. But this is the case now; there's just no federal enforcement. The revised language simply makes it (somewhat) clear that the same regulations apply if you swap a tractor or snowmobile engine into your race car. (The only race car I can think of to have used a snowmobile engine was the Chaparral 2J, which used a two-stroke engine to drive a pair of fans that sucked the car to the ground.)

At the moment, there is not enough enforcement to monetize the rules, so they will let things slide until they can figure out that angle. And since it is a given that the money to enforce will come from the bottomless taxpayer pocket, there will be future enforcement. Just another "War on... (pick your Noun)" to fund.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/16 7:25 p.m.

This whole kerfuffle was enough to make me pull the trigger on that EGR delete hardware and software I've been planning for the diesel. Not because I want my truck to stink or smoke - the exact opposite - but because I want it to last as long as possible.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/10/16 8:18 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote:
SVreX wrote:
Karacticus wrote: ... the EPA is going to use the clean air act to regulate the particulates (dust) raised by ag operation.
They already have the rules, and enforce them for construction. Why not AG?
How would be the key term......nothing I can think of aside from wasting craploads of water would prevent it, and wasting craploads of water would just lead to massive amounts of runoff, loss of fertile topsoil, and erosion which are all more serious issues than dust.

You might need to Google "Dustbowl" if you think dust has no AG consequences.

Like I said, the requirements already exist in construction. We must control dust, prevent runoff, and contain erosion. It's hard, and expensive, but all of the methods, materials, and tools exist already. How is not hard to the EPA. It's just a stroke of the pen.

It's a royal PITA. And there is no reason whatsoever the construction industry can do it and AG cannot. The ONLY reason it is not required now is powerful AG lobbiests

CharlesE
CharlesE New Reader
2/10/16 9:55 p.m.

The petition is over 106,000 now.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
2/11/16 9:05 a.m.

Haven't seen this here yet, so...

LEGAL BRIEF ON PROPOSED EPA "LeMONS LAW" San Francisco--Yesterday, the car-guy Web went nuts over a rumored proposal to extend EPA regs onto racecars, aka the "LeMons Law." (Or, if you're under 30 and underpaid, #LeMonsLaw.) LeMons sent out a spam and hired Dallas attorney Pat Mulry to work up a legal brief on the subject so that someone, at least, might actually know what the hell they were talking about. The full text of Pat's brief is here. It's definitely worth reading. In short, EPA is jndeed proposing to move all production-derived race cars from their current status (essentially unregulated) into the same status as street cars (factory-original powertrains only). The proposal is silent on enforcement, but the penalties listed--$3750 per instance for individuals who modify, $37,500 per instance for dealers or manufacturers who modify--are scary enough to pretty thoroughly chill the aftermarket and race-prep sectors. We'll work with other groups as the racing industry coordinates a response, most likely involving you marching through the streets waving pitchforks. Or maybe writing letters. Let's just see how that part goes. . John "Jay" Lamm, Chief Perpetrator 24 HOURS OF LeMONS
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/16 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Rodan:

I came here to post that. The linked memo seems good too.

Keith Tanner
2/11/16 10:01 a.m.

If the EPA wants to go after the big fish, all those brand new ND MX-5 Cup cars being sold by Mazda would be illegal. They're catless.

Keith Tanner
2/11/16 10:20 a.m.

Did you read the lawyer's analysis posted just above?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/11/16 10:40 a.m.

Wow, if that analysis from Jay's lawyer guy is accurate, this is an awful idea.

Worse yet, it seems to be an EPA initiative. It's not legislation. You can't write your congressperson and ask them not to vote for it.

Constitutionally, the EPA has no right to exist. Frankly, they probably should. Why would an EPA amendment be so hard? It could be done such that items like these would be subject to congressional, and therefore our, oversight.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wU5VOburL2qSA2ITgBVZ4Y6uCLlHqKSBHJlCVs2vi2EkvSCGn41vJS3h5FsqhcSN