1 2
unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/5/15 6:13 a.m.

I've been lusting after these for a while, and Friday I came across a 2005 Sport Edition on Autotrader in Bentonville, AR. V8, 4WD, and 53,000 miles. (That's not a typo). Called up there and talked to the salesman, then asked some family in the area to go check it out. They couldn't find anything wrong with it, so I grabbed my road trip buddy and headed out early Saturday morning.

It was in fantastic shape. One owner, and that owner was the service manager's father. It had receipts for every single appointment, including a new battery a two years ago, and a timing belt replacement at 45,000. The timing belt was done just because it was old, not because it had reached the mileage point. I'd never heard of that before.

Looks to have a reasonable amount of room in the engine bay, which I was concerned about. It got 19 mpg on the way home, which is much better than the F-150 I traded for it. Not to mention the comfortable ride, which ohmygawd is so much nicer than the old truck. It's got that X-REAS cross-linked dampers setup, which may be part of the reason.

Of course, I took care of the important stuff when I got it back to Texas.

The one downside is that it still smells slightly of pipe tobacco, but given that it's going to be used as a dog hauler, I'm not too concerned with how it smells at the moment. That won't last long.

So far, I haven't figured out how to get a good auxiliary input to listen to music. It's got the nice JBL speakers, and I can't take advantage of them. Seems like the only way will be to replace the head unit, which could be pretty expensive if I get something worth having. I'd like to get something with navigation, since I intend on taking this thing well outside of cell phone reception territory.

It's probably going to lose the running boards and visors pretty soon, but other than that and the radio I don't see too many modifications in its future. (Famous last words, I know.)

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
1/5/15 6:21 a.m.

Very nice. It should last forever and be nice the whole time.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/5/15 6:26 a.m.

Nice. Outside of the rust belt, I think those will last forever.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/5/15 6:31 a.m.

pipe smell is at least a tiny bit less obnoxious than cigarette smell

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/5/15 6:58 a.m.

Don't lose the rain visors. They're brilliant.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
1/5/15 7:13 a.m.

Does it have a cassette deck? They make a Bluetooth cassette adapter now.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/5/15 7:31 a.m.
wbjones wrote: pipe smell is at least a tiny bit less obnoxious than cigarette smell

Already attacked it with Febreze. Seems to have cleared up quite nice.

mndsm wrote: Don't lose the rain visors. They're brilliant.

Really? I've never had a car with them. I thought the point was to just leave the windows cracked, what are they good for?

JamesMcD wrote: Does it have a cassette deck? They make a Bluetooth cassette adapter now.

I... did not know that was a thing. I'll have to look into that, it's worth a shot, I guess.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
1/5/15 7:38 a.m.

Cassette decks will never have the quality of a good aux input, fwiw. My solution is usually to take the stock HU apart, figure out where the audio signal comes off the tape deck heads internally, and hard wire an aux input to that. It's worked well enough for me so far. There are some DIYs online.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/5/15 7:42 a.m.

Nice truck! I like to have the windows cracked a bit most if the time and the visors generally do a good job of keeping me dry in heavy rain/snow.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/5/15 7:47 a.m.
gearheadE30 wrote: Cassette decks will never have the quality of a good aux input, fwiw. My solution is usually to take the stock HU apart, figure out where the audio signal comes off the tape deck heads internally, and hard wire an aux input to that. It's worked well enough for me so far. There are some DIYs online.

I've heard about that... That sort of thing definitely sounds more up my alley. I'll have to do some homework.

Edit: Bingo. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/161339-cheap-mod-diy-aux-input-2005-2008-factory-head-unit.html

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/5/15 7:52 a.m.

I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't a PNP "Aux mod" for these things.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/5/15 7:55 a.m.

Looks like a great find. That thing looks clean. Enjoy it. I too would be surprised if there wasn't an aux input mod out there already.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/5/15 8:01 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't a PNP "Aux mod" for these things.

Since when is "PNP" GRM?

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
1/5/15 8:13 a.m.

Nice find! Look down deep inside the console for an aux input - bottom front, passenger side - at least that's where mine is on a 2007.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/5/15 8:21 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't a PNP "Aux mod" for these things.
Since when is "PNP" GRM?

I mean... when you buy a nice thing like that, $50 for an aux mod doesn't sound too bad.

I just sold the old PNP setup i had in the MSM finally a couple weeks ago. Dumped it for $10.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
1/5/15 8:22 a.m.

Nice sticker

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/5/15 9:01 a.m.

It has the JBL speakers, does it have the NAV head unit? It may not have been until 2007 that they put the AUX input in the center console, down toward the bottom by the electrical plug-in.

We loved our V8 4WD limited, only option it didn't have was the XREAS. But once I got rid of the race car (the reason for buying it so I could tow the race car) it didn't make since to keep something for a DD that got such crummy MPG.

Enjoy!

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/5/15 9:23 a.m.

There's not, from the few hours of searching I did. It's got the JBL head unit with a CD changer already in there, so there's no extra ports like satellite or CD changer to take advantage of.

z31maniac wrote: It has the JBL speakers, does it have the NAV head unit? It may not have been until 2007 that they put the AUX input in the center console, down toward the bottom by the electrical plug-in. We loved our V8 4WD limited, only option it didn't have was the XREAS. But once I got rid of the race car (the reason for buying it so I could tow the race car) it didn't make since to keep something for a DD that got such crummy MPG. Enjoy!

Yeah, the Aux input happened in 2006+. I've considered finding an OEM unit from a 2006-2009 JBL and swapping it in, but those are still a few hundred bucks, at which point I'd rather just put that towards an aftermarket nav unit.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/15 10:08 a.m.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA15TOY/USA-Spec-iPod-Interface-for-Toyota-Scion-Lexus-and-Isuzu.html?tp=61445

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/5/15 10:10 a.m.

/\ I saw that, but $150 is kind of steep for a band-aid...

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/5/15 10:16 a.m.

I found some stuff about people using Scion head units, but all the adapters and such look pretty damn expensive... Almost $200 of stuff to turn on the JBL amp, adapt the wiring, adapt the antenna, and add a BT microphone.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
1/5/15 6:02 p.m.

Nice,I bought the same awd V8 but an '03 without the VVTI engine(sad panda)last yr with approx. 58k.Drives like new,I use it to haul myself and tools around for work daily and the enclosed trailer and Miata on weekends.Does a decent job of it,it'll never be as good as a fullsize truck for towing but for everything else I do with it I prefer it,I've driven pickups daily for 25 yrs and simply wanted a change.Nice to have the tools locked up,dry and warm for a change.

I simply swapped head units,easy button for sure.Doug Thorley just released headers for them but they aren't carb certified and require additional fab work to weld cats on and finish the Y pipe.Btw the Y on these suck,horribly pinched so I deleted mine by using an MBRB single in dual out truck muffler turned around for 2 into 1.Sounds pretty good with no drone,no mileage improvement or power that I can tell though.

I also added airbags,MUCH better for all loads/towing now.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many many yrs.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
1/5/15 6:06 p.m.

"Lusting?"

tdisalvo
tdisalvo New Reader
1/5/15 9:08 p.m.

In reply to unevolved:

I bought this for my wife's '07 Highlander which came with the basic JBL system, single disc CD player & no changer. Installation was pretty easy and operation was also a piece of cake. The unit requires switching over to the CD changer mode in order to get the external audio, which was fine for us. Sound quality was pretty good, or as good as the stock radio was capable of. The unit did fry itself once upon her plugging in her iPhone, but it was still under warranty. Crutchfield cross-shipped another one within a day of calling. The $15 premium shopping through them was worth it.

That said, for $5 in parts and some elbow grease to manually wire in a 3.5mm jack, I'd do that all day rather than the USA spec unit. Hell, even if the modification went wrong, buying a second OEM radio as back-up would still be cheaper.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/5/15 9:48 p.m.

As for a pnp audio port, I've used these guys for my Mazda with good results http://www.gtacarkits.com/product/toyota-4runner-2003-2009-iphone-aux-kit/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oFeNUSWMuhTf92DxUTwGOiOthvtw3Hs97yci2x1fDD8T65PTG9oNUDR5722ug9Ib