1 2
unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/5/15 10:33 p.m.
plance1 wrote: "Lusting?"

...yes...

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. The absolute easy button would be a 06-09 JBL head unit, but those seem to be $200-300 on ebay. I may start piecing together a Scion HU install, that seems to be the most bang for the buck and least theft prone.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/5/15 10:41 p.m.
turboswede wrote: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA15TOY/USA-Spec-iPod-Interface-for-Toyota-Scion-Lexus-and-Isuzu.html?tp=61445

Did this to our Gen1 Prius. Worth it to not have to berkeley with everything else. Even sorta-controls my iphone via the factory audio controls. Has analog aux input as well.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/8/15 1:40 p.m.

Decided to go for a Scion HU. I've got to spend an extra $50 and get an adapter for the JBL amp, but that's going to have to happen with just about every route except soldering into the stock unit. Picked up a T1819 off eBay for $100, should look like this when it's done:

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
1/8/15 2:52 p.m.

I was on this site religiously when I had my 3rd gen, lots of useful info and helpful people. T4R Fourth Gen 4Runners

If there is a way to add an aux, you will find it here (along with if it worked or not, and how well).

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/8/15 6:19 p.m.

Thanks, they've come up pretty regularly on Google searches. Guess I should make an account there.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/8/15 6:21 p.m.

Congrats on the 4-runner. I'm sure the dogs will love the roll-down rear window.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
1/10/15 11:12 a.m.

Very nice! This is what my wife wants for her next rig. Her Tahoe is a little big her she discovered. It fits me just fine so we will trade my old ram for something new for her and I will have the Tahoe as my winter and mountain rig.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/10/15 8:34 p.m.

I've been real happy with this one so far, looking forward to a long ownership.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/16/15 8:49 a.m.

Well, I tried to install the T1819 last night, but ran into some issues and had to back out. Basically, the JBL system in the truck uses some goofy method of communicating between the head unit and the amp, so I've got to get that sorted out. Doesn't look like it's the standard 4 analog channels going back there. I also appear to be missing a plug/harness for the rear speaker output off the head unit, so I need to figure that out as well. Still appears to be my best shot at getting a modern-feature radio in the vehicle for a good price, and it should be fairly theft-resistant since it's OEM.

Also removed the stupid remote start the PO had someone install. Now it's slightly less easy to steal since it doesn't have the immobilizer delete chip anymore.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
1/16/15 10:37 a.m.

Welcome to beige appliance-hood! Our 2008 has about 88k on it, now. Just oil and filter changes except for the wheel bearings that went out at about 55k. I'm guessing that Toyota sourced them in China. Probably be a couple thousand more miles before the third set of tires and the first brake job.

BTW, I've always wondered by TAMU and UT have "former students" and "ex-students" associations rather than the alumni associations that everyone else has. Is it because few students actually graduate, or, when they do, they can't manage to spell "alumni?"

--University of Colorado alum living in TX

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/16/15 1:04 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: BTW, I've always wondered by TAMU and UT have "former students" and "ex-students" associations rather than the alumni associations that everyone else has. Is it because few students actually graduate, or, when they do, they can't manage to spell "alumni?" --University of Colorado alum living in TX

Basically. We don't do a whole lot of book learnin'.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/15 2:39 p.m.

so can you bring your road trip buddy up here, kidnap johnny manziel, and take him back to A&M please?

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/18/15 2:45 p.m.

As soon as I do that, you guys will pick up Winston.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/18/15 6:12 p.m.

Got the Scion radio installed! These JBL systems are somewhat irritating, but workable. Basically, the radio passes two audio channels to the amp, and then talks to the amp via serial to deal with the fade, balance, eq, etc. So just wiring in a standard head unit won't work. I bought this Metra adapter off Amazon, and wired it up to a "reverse" harness to allow me to plug it straight into the Scion head unit without cutting up any OEM wiring. You can also see the adapters on the top side of the picture needed to convert the 20 pin to 28 pin.

Everything bolts up no problem, you can see the adapter box right below the head unit in this picture:

It works! Everything seems to work just fine, bluetooth, radio, etc.

Put the mic for the bluetooth right over the steering column.

The one problem is that the radio is a different shape. The JBL stereos were bigger than the standard ones, so they filled up more of the trim panel. I'll have to either find a cheap, good condition trim panel, or print up a bezel to fit around the stereo to blend it in a little better.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
1/18/15 10:09 p.m.

I have that exact truck - '05 sport package w/ the 4.7. It replaced my beloved '01 Tacoma mainly for use towing an open trailer w/ about 1400# of racer car and gear, which it does very well. One nice thing about the 4Runners not mentioned thus far is that they were manufactured in Japan. The build quality is superb.

When it needed brakes I bought EBC rotors and truck/greenstuff pads. It actually has more initial bite and torque than I'd really prefer now. I may go back to a more conventional pad.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/19/15 5:52 a.m.
motomoron wrote: When it needed brakes I bought EBC rotors and truck/greenstuff pads. It actually has more initial bite and torque than I'd really prefer now. I may go back to a more conventional pad.

I can believe that. The brakes are so sensitive it took me a while to get used to. I'm used to it now, but coming from a BMW, they feel almost overboosted.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/19/15 8:40 a.m.

Looks like I forgot to ground the illumination circuit. Whoops. Turned on the headlights, and the display went off on the stereo.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
1/19/15 8:45 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: Welcome to beige appliance-hood! Our 2008 has about 88k on it, now. Just oil and filter changes except for the wheel bearings that went out at about 55k. I'm guessing that Toyota sourced them in China. Probably be a couple thousand more miles before the third set of tires and the first brake job. BTW, I've always wondered by TAMU and UT have "former students" and "ex-students" associations rather than the alumni associations that everyone else has. Is it because few students actually graduate, or, when they do, they can't manage to spell "alumni?" --University of Colorado alum living in TX

It's because so many students had to leave A&M early to go to war. Some of them never came back. Some others never got back to College Station to finish their degrees.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/19/15 9:18 a.m.

/\ Yeah, or that real answer.

If you're ever in College Station, the Memorial Student Center has a museum wing with some astounding displays on Medal of Honor winners that came from A&M throughout the years.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
2/1/15 4:03 p.m.

Pulled off the running boards, changed the oil, and rotated the tires. Much better.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
2/1/15 6:45 p.m.

Looks good without the running boards,thought about removing mine as well but they do a good job of keeping all the salt/slush/ice/stones and whatever crap off the paint so I'm leaving them on for now.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
2/1/15 8:57 p.m.

Mine always seemed to bump the back of my leg when I got out, so I decided to take them off. Took about 5 minutes per side (6X M8 screws), so I can always put them back on if I wind up not liking them being gone.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
spQ2Pq6hiCVry6pxlByAJKtth5l9BQPKG0DEnk4BLkbgUysn7MwrbwgGYpsVWOb8