1 2 3
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/28/15 8:07 p.m.

Also, building a locost was a lot like reading the book. Things just kinda went into being, like because they wanted to be there. The book is a good read. Much better than the movie.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/28/15 8:13 p.m.
Woody wrote:
SVreX wrote: In reply to DeadSkunk: Good ideas.
DeadSkunk wrote: Wing structure could be fabbed from a small TV antenna tower.
Disassemble a couple of umbrellas.

Run down to the local eatery with outside tables and "borrow" a couple of umbrellas.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/15 8:22 p.m.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2310939/Girl-drives-mini-Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang-car-round-garden-Isle-Wight.html

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/28/15 8:27 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
JThw8 wrote: for the suggestion of flying could you not build a ramp system obscured by "clouds" ideally with a smoke machine to enhance the effect and "fly" it up on to the ramps into the clouds? Retractable wings, scrounge for old roll up projector screens, use those as the basis for the wings. you dont need the power of a golf cart for stage use, a mobility scooter or old power wheels should do it if you keep it light.
Good ideas. This is probably the right track. The ramp idea is the right look, but the actual ramp is probably too big to store offstage.

Ok, no ramps, clouds to drive into and have the car light enough the actors can grab handles inside and stand up (feet on the floor, no floorboards) and lift the car up to simulate flight. Or hydraulic rams but that seemed a bit overly complex.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/15 8:29 p.m.

Here's how Disney made it fly in 1968:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZU4S1G0JCk

Interesting that the first picture I posted is also Disney, but the film doesn't show the propellers (in spite of the bad green screen work). Even Disney has continuity problems.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/15 8:31 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote:
SVreX wrote: One more thing I didn't tell you... I probably have plenty of time to build this. It's a Fall production.
Ha ! That's like I'm 4% done on my Challenge build and there's lots and lots of time left.

Ha HA!!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/15 8:34 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Actually, the hydraulic rams idea is not impossible.

I/ was considering something like the QuickJack, secured to the bottom of the car. Set the front one higher than the rear, and stagger the liftoff so the front raises first.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/28/15 8:36 p.m.

...and you can see the canvas wings unfold. The distance between the rigid stays in the wings are about double the thickness of the swing arm, so the folds of material are hidden behind the arms when under the rocker area of the car.The stays have to be pivoted and supported at the upper edge of the swing arm.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/15 8:36 p.m.

Apparently the script is a new release. The director just told me he'd may like to rent the car out after doing the show.

That might change my chassis idea. I don't want to donate a rare chassis to this.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/15 8:41 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: ...and you can see the canvas wings unfold. The distance between the rigid stays in the wings are about double the thickness of the swing arm, so the folds of material are hidden behind the arms when under the rocker area of the car.The stays have to be pivoted and supported at the upper edge of the swing arm.

Yeah, that's a reasonably elegant solution.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/28/15 8:41 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Time for two pieces of 2x4 tubing.Get out the welder.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/15 8:42 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

Yep.

Current budget $1000

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/15 8:45 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Smaller model "flying" upstage on wires?

That's a possibility.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/15 8:46 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Does the car have to be two sided, or can it be one side and use the space behind it without concern for how "wide" the mechanisms become. As long as the audience can't see the other side, of course.

Car does not have to be 2 sided, but that would also limit it's rentability.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/28/15 8:51 p.m.

Airbags....you can get enough lift to simulate flight with a good set of bags. Heck go cheaper and use air shocks with some feet welded to the bottom.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
4/28/15 9:37 p.m.

Most of body could be thin plywood over a wooden frame. Stain the rear section and paint the "seams" in. For front use some of the "chrome" spray paint.

Or for the front use thin aluminum over a wood frame and polish it up.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/29/15 8:50 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Also, building a locost was a lot like reading the book. Things just kinda went into being, like because they wanted to be there. The book is a good read. Much better than the movie.

On a short trip with my kids over the winter we listened to the book. I has never read it before and it was sooo much better than the movie.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/29/15 10:44 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
Woody wrote: School kids being suspended off the ground in something that you built = Bad Idea.
I've done it before. Several times. You'd be surprised how many times something flys in theatre. Peter Pan, Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, Aladdin, The Wiz, etc.

That's all well and good but you keep talking about working with a small budget.

I doubt the shows you used in your example had such any such limitations.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/15 3:13 p.m.

Just saw this thread. I'm thinking something built like a downhill racer with an electric scooter powertrain for rolling around on stage.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/29/15 3:44 p.m.

Aluminum garbage can for the front bonnet. Or find a plastic 55 gallon drum and paint it silver.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/29/15 5:31 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
SVreX wrote:
Woody wrote: School kids being suspended off the ground in something that you built = Bad Idea.
I've done it before. Several times. You'd be surprised how many times something flys in theatre. Peter Pan, Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, Aladdin, The Wiz, etc.
That's all well and good but you keep talking about working with a small budget. I doubt the shows you used in your example had such any such limitations.

All the ones I have done have had small budgets, including the movie that had the train/ car wreck and the 9 year old trapped in an actual burning house.

It just takes more time and creativity.

Just like building a Challenge car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/29/15 5:32 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Just saw this thread. I'm thinking something built like a downhill racer with an electric scooter powertrain for rolling around on stage.

Pics? Details?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/29/15 8:50 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I'm sure you'll be safe, didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I won't pollute your thread until I have more productive things to add!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/29/15 8:53 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

No, it's cool.

I appreciate the reminders.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/29/15 9:18 p.m.

OK, so here is what I am imagining right now...

• The mechanism is the biggest expense. I'll say as much as 70%.

• DeadSkunk was right- I'm gonna need to make the frame myself out of tubing. A "real" chassis is too heavy and too complicated.

• I am picturing a mechanism design that works essentially like an engine hoist. Long feet on the floor, with a piston that pushes up the "frame rails". Getting the nose 3' off the ground should be easy. More challenging will be getting the rear wheels off the ground, but they only need to get maybe 6" high. Might be 2 pistons, with a scissor arrangement. Perhaps it could retract and tuck under the "floorpan" of the car when not in use. Masking the mechanism would be tricky, but not impossible.

• I'll bet I can find some suitable motorcycle wheels.

• I want the wheels to continue to turn after it is "airborne". Maybe a small electric motor and a chain drive.

• It would be really interesting if the thing could be driven while "airborne". This seems like it would require teeny drive wheels in the bottom of the scissor mechanism. Maybe they are actually the primary drive wheels- the big ones would be just for show, and never actually touch the ground, just look like it.

Did this make any sense?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oqLyP2wLjkJgfgME7KXZpiBoOWZEjN3ZL9GOBsALDvpyzytJzeSFwzpav4KFgO8F