1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/29/15 9:44 p.m.

A mechanism about like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Mobile-1000-LBS-Hydraulic-Table-Lift-Jack-Cart-FREE-SHIPPING-/361276695424?hash=item541dc4e380&item=361276695424&vxp=mtr

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/15 7:48 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Just saw this thread. I'm thinking something built like a downhill racer with an electric scooter powertrain for rolling around on stage.
Pics? Details?

It was just an idea, but now that I've done some searching for inspiration pics, I found this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Mollymobile-Soap-Box-transformation-into-Chitt/

Also, on second thought, I think an electric scooter motor is massive overkill, a 1wd system with an electric wheelchair motor and a UPS battery should do the job:

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/30/15 8:52 a.m.

Just buy a cheap Miata and change the name of the play to "Chitty-Chitty-Zoom-Zoom". You know it's always the answer.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
4/30/15 4:16 p.m.

Disney didn't make Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/30/15 6:27 p.m.

In reply to Derick Freese:

Huh.

You're right.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/30/15 6:28 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

I like those wheelchair motors!

GSmith
GSmith Reader
7/3/15 2:24 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Our Children's Theatre Troupe might be interested - production is the first week of December. located in PA.

See: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/chitty-chitty-bang-bang-childrens-theatre-content/103337/page1/#post1840176

There is a car already available, but adult sized and in CA, so the transport costs are brutal.

I too am looking at other options. And I've only been doing 'set' work for a couple of productions to date.

GSmith
GSmith Reader
7/3/15 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Hal:

skip the spray paint and use vinyl :)

GSmith
GSmith Reader
7/3/15 2:28 p.m.

SVreX - any update on your build here?

Our director has looked at chitty.rentals and they have a neat approach (no flying though)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/3/15 3:36 p.m.

Yikes! I lost track of my own thread!

In reply to GSmith:

Somehow I completely missed that you were doing this as well.

Our production is in January, and the Director is a procrastinator, so I've had some trouble getting details from him.

My background is scenic design and construction. I will be building this, but need a copy of the script and an understanding of how he hopes to use it before I can build it, in order to do it properly.

There is a good possibility we could rent you ours, and I'll bet we could figure out how to transport it inexpensively through the GRM web.

Just out of curiosity, how high were the quotes for that CA car? (I am pretty sure ours will be less)

You said December. Considering Christmas, I am assuming early Dec. Right?

Our plan for the car is:

• 3/4 scale (designed for smaller theatres)

• We want it to "fly". More accurately, launch. The front will elevate about 3', and the rear 1'. Hydraulic controlled.

• It will also list side to side. "Bank" (like a plane, or boat)

• The visible wheels will rotate at a rate of approximately 3X the actual speed of the car. The car will be electrically driven self-propelled.

• The mechanism will be designed to be concealed by a fog machine

• It will have operable wings, rear prop, float, steam engine noise, backfires, engine smoke, lights, and ah-oo-ga horn. Maybe a couple more tricks, like a targeted oil leak (and I really want to do the propellers on the end of the wings, but they may get nixed due to difficulty and fragility)

• I also intend to include several quirky bits as "inside jokes", or discovery items for the audience.

As far as I am concerned, the car is not a prop. It is a character in the show, (arguably the most important one). I will design it as such.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

Thanks!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/3/15 3:45 p.m.

In reply to GSmith:

You've got mail.

GSmith
GSmith Reader
7/3/15 4:01 p.m.

message received

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/3/15 5:15 p.m.

In reply to GSmith:

We call them PMs, but they are actually emails.

If you click on anyone's avatar, it will go to their profile. Click on the button that says "Contact", and it will send a message to the email account they registered on the site with.

GSmith
GSmith Reader
7/3/15 5:39 p.m.

See: http://www.wctt.org/

Still has last year's info on it, but our production of CCBB will run 12/3 through 12/6 (4 showings). We should have Chitty by 11/28 to start Tech Week (onstage rehearsals & setup Saturday & Sunday and MTW evenings before Opening night Thursday).

Ideally we would have her 1-2 weekends sooner to be in the Waynesboro parade to help drive interest / ticket sales. Not required, and could either travel under her own power or be on a long flatbed with the performers.

Given the cost (and transport) for the other one, this could be a mutually beneficial arrangement allowing both of our productions a better car and sharing the cost.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YY2T2ZAT9zmhW7Xqtng3l8tqOzFzHSZhzB6EU6eTFqNw0NtNnqYrM1nvkoifSoxJ