mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
11/15/08 11:08 p.m.

If this were closer to me I would be very tempted. This is just the coolest, I've never seen this before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___Subaru-Micro-Mini-Van-360_W0QQitemZ300273783333QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item300273783333&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
11/15/08 11:17 p.m.

They are awesome but a word of warning. If you are over 5 foot 6 you will not fit...AT ALL!!!

My 6 foot 150lb frame of a decade ago was crammed into one. My neck still hirts from that experience

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
11/16/08 9:04 a.m.

Someone here has a non-runner... JThw8, perhaps?

I've only seen two in person, neither under their own power. Pretty neat, though.

clownkiller
clownkiller New Reader
11/16/08 9:32 a.m.

The 1994 Subaru looks even cooler. They badge them to look like an old VW van. 660cc motor...Just another cool car the government prevents you from using.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
11/16/08 9:38 a.m.

You mean just because they don't have enough power to negotiate anything beyond a neighborhood street and therefore would be a menace on the streets and you would be maimed in anything more than a 5 mph front end crash our horrible government is out to punish all us car enthusiasts! You mean that govt?

It had nothing whatsoever to do wit common sense and the fact they were designed for a completely different environment.

bluevr6
bluevr6 New Reader
11/16/08 9:39 a.m.

Damn, a Japanese Fiat Multipa!

carzan
carzan New Reader
11/16/08 10:25 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: You mean just because they don't have enough power to negotiate anything beyond a neighborhood street and therefore would be a menace on the streets and you would be maimed in anything more than a 5 mph front end crash our horrible government is out to punish all us car enthusiasts! You mean that govt? It had nothing whatsoever to do wit common sense and the fact they were designed for a completely different environment.

Aside from being at the extreme opposite end of the power spectrum, that statement would seem to accurately describe a vehicle that IS legal. In my state, you aren't even required to wear a helmet.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
11/16/08 11:31 a.m.

You aren't required to wear a helmet where?

integraguy
integraguy Reader
11/16/08 11:59 a.m.

As small as this van is, there is/was a SMALLER sedan version of this. Malcolm Bricklin (of Bricklin car and Yugo fame) brought a whole lot of them to the U.S. in the late '60s or early '70s. There were never licensed in any state but used as "bumper car-type vehicles, on special tracks. You've seen the sedans, they look like giant ostrich eggs.

carzan
carzan New Reader
11/16/08 12:02 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: You aren't required to wear a helmet where?

Here in Connecticut (as well as Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin and Wyoming), motorcycle riders over the age of 18 are not required to wear helmets. There are no helmet laws in Colorado, Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/16/08 12:10 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: You mean just because they don't have enough power to negotiate anything beyond a neighborhood street and therefore would be a menace on the streets and you would be maimed in anything more than a 5 mph front end crash our horrible government is out to punish all us car enthusiasts! You mean that govt? It had nothing whatsoever to do wit common sense and the fact they were designed for a completely different environment.

This guy seems to think they work for our environment. Imagine that-free will! top speed!

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 New Reader
11/16/08 12:14 p.m.

there's an article in Car and Driver this month about kei trucks in OK. they seem great 40mpg and 65mph sounds good enough to me.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/16/08 12:28 p.m.
carzan wrote:
carguy123 wrote: You aren't required to wear a helmet where?
Here in Connecticut (as well as Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin and Wyoming), motorcycle riders over the age of 18 are not required to wear helmets. There are no helmet laws in Colorado, Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire.

Don't forget Florida!

Kramer
Kramer Reader
11/16/08 12:32 p.m.
clownkiller wrote: Just another cool car the government prevents you from using.

I think C&D states there are 11 states that allow these vehicles on public streets.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/16/08 12:35 p.m.
Kramer wrote:
clownkiller wrote: Just another cool car the government prevents you from using.
I think C&D states there are 11 states that allow these vehicles on public streets.

Cal must be one, because those fruits from "Pimp My Ride" did one for a guy who daily drove it there.

DMSentra
DMSentra New Reader
11/16/08 1:13 p.m.

It has to do with too much governmental involvement, again. No two people in this country have the exact same needs in a vehicle, and it's ridiculous to think setting a standard will work well for everyone.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nqilRe4c233XeGRRkriNxFFpHdVBJFNOEGq9TJktqW4XmlolIxIUGble2lTxkeyu