JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/18/24 12:52 p.m.
feature_image

I used to think that the Nurburgring 24 Hours was at the top of my bucket list for races I want to compete in that are actually attainable for the average enthusiast, but the Aurum 1006 km powered by Hankook may have just usurped that crown.

What’s that? You’re not familiar with the Aurum 1006 km powered by Hankook? 

The …

Read the rest of the story

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/18/24 12:57 p.m.

Well that's awesome!

JG Pasterjak
7/18/24 1:01 p.m.

track map is an absolute banger

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/18/24 1:03 p.m.

This is ridiculous in the best possible way!

DavyZ
DavyZ Reader
7/18/24 1:27 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

track map is an absolute banger

There might just be a 'few' places in the USA which could do a similar layout.  I especially love the clover leaf, but wouldn't have been great to have a similar course but use nnot just one leaf, but the whole flippin' clover itself?!?  Man, if one could work that out, that would be so cool :)  It reminds me of an AFX track!

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/24 1:50 p.m.

Something like that could never happen in the USA.    That track and race looks like an amazing time!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/24 2:07 p.m.
Noddaz said:

Something like that could never happen in the USA.    That track and race looks like an amazing time!

Nope. The safety freaks and the insurance companies would have fits. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/18/24 2:26 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Thank you, J.G., I just needed a few more minutes to recreate the map myself. smiley

And this race gives me old-school (like pre-war) Avus vibes:

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
7/18/24 3:32 p.m.

With a course like that I think it needs some Rally entries with the likes of Travis Pastrana, Tanner Foust, or Scott Speed at the wheel. 

Those u-turns would be glorious.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/18/24 4:11 p.m.

I've heard of street courses, but I haven't heard of highway courses. That's a way to use what you got.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/18/24 4:55 p.m.

Thanks for the story.   Nice to see what Jan Magnussen has been up to since racing Corvettes in IMSA.

As stated above, it is reminiscent of an old AFX track.yes

As for something like that not being held in the U.S., I think it could.  There are a handful of Open Road Races in desolate places like west Texas (Big Bend Open Road Race), Nevada (Silver State Classic), and Nebraska (Sandhills Open Road Challenge).

Plus, as reported in GRM, various Appalachian states are receptive to developing and promoting motorsports for the tourism dollars, so you never know.

Multiple links to other related GRM stories in the following link.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/west-virginia-motorsports-day-state-legislature-welcomes-motorsport/

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/18/24 7:14 p.m.

Thanks for posting!

I watched a bit of the 2023 race, and love the venue, especially the convenience store fuel stop!

There was a wild crash with a 911 Cup car coming out on fresh slicks onto a drying track at around 6:19:00... spun off pit exit onto a downhill section of wet grass, flipped and took out a camera tower, and landed almost on top of a couple of kids sitting by a tree.  Didn't look like anyone was seriously hurt, but... crazy!

Might try to catch some of the 2024 race this weekend...

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
7/18/24 10:11 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
"How fast could I take this exit ramp in a GT3 car?”

How fast could you take that on-ramp?  winkdevil

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/18/24 11:12 p.m.

No, the most insane race in the world is the Isle of Man TT, but this one comes close.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/19/24 7:05 a.m.

I need to look into what it would take to get I-285 closed for a day...

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
7/19/24 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Avus is the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Every race track needs two 6 mile straights /s

JG Pasterjak
7/19/24 9:35 a.m.

Observations from watching a few minutes of qualifying:

1. We're already under the previous lap record.

2. Pretty obvious which drivers have some autocross experience.

3. I'm still curious how fueling works with fuel at a different location than the pits. I'm assuming tires in one place and fuel in another, but do teams need split squads to tend each spot? 

4. I think it's pretty obvious that whatever Eastern Bloc mobster owns this resort town was like "Heeeyyy! I want fancy race in my town!" and threw a pile of money somewhere and it happened and I salute him for that.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/19/24 9:50 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Watching some of last year's race, there were guys in different liveried gear doing the fueling, and a bunch of chairs where they were all sitting/waiting, so I think there's a couple guys from each team at the fuel site.  

It would be really cool if they had English subtitles.  I did get a laugh when some drivers were interviewed in English, and there were Lithuanian subtitles.

Poor_sh
Poor_sh GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/20/24 1:07 p.m.

The Lada just finished P13/20 lol what a legend

JG Pasterjak
7/20/24 5:31 p.m.

The AMG/Audi battle at the front was darn good. 

I have to do this race someday.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
7/20/24 8:19 p.m.

What a cool event!   I will say that the minimal barrier between opposing lanes makes me nervous...   but such a great race

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/24 8:10 a.m.

650 Cars??  There has to be multiple races. They don't put 650 cars on the track and send it do they?  

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/22/24 8:56 a.m.

I was looking to see if the Palanga circuit existed digitally, and yes, it does, but I also came across some in-car footage of qualifying laps.

Racing there looks just as insane from inside the car.

991 Porsche 911 GT3 from 2020:

An unnamed BMW from 2021:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
28swBCK8yz2DiFCKUOOw0GdnzUREo4IKwXQVQrNj5mjO8lg3bUUAPg1hGlK8DFj5