1 2
racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
8/6/18 12:25 p.m.
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/6/18 12:36 p.m.

Oopsie.  Based on Nascars current drug policy, he is benched until he clears the rehab/clean period.  I hope that happens... 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/6/18 1:37 p.m.

I followed the link, read the article, and as I was closing it I noticed that there were comments. 

Re-opened from the link, no comments on the page. I'm curious what the public/fan response will be. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
8/6/18 2:09 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

I followed the link, read the article, and as I was closing it I noticed that there were comments. 

Re-opened from the link, no comments on the page. I'm curious what the public/fan response will be. 

I'm a NASCAR fan, and my response is...meh.  That's a personal matter for him and he'll need to deal with the legal ramifications of it.  It's not a good thing for sure, but it really doesn't sway my opinion about the sport one way or the other.  Nor would I get out my pitchfork and demand he steps down forever immediately.  Get the help he may need, absolutely.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/6/18 3:19 p.m.

Does that mean rubbin' is still racing?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/18 3:24 p.m.

Was anyone else surprised he was driving a Lexus & not a domestic?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/6/18 3:37 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Was anyone else surprised he was driving a Lexus & not a domestic?

Not at all.  Would have been shocked if it wasn't a Chev, Ford or Toyota.  Lexus is probably the most "rich guy" car available from those three.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/6/18 4:21 p.m.

Perhaps he was leavin' in a huff cuz the IMSA race at RA had more Rubbin' than segment 3????...sheeesh

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/6/18 4:41 p.m.

I think they should Mayfield him

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
8/6/18 4:51 p.m.

over 100 people die each day from opiate  abuse  in the USA, 

This can be "a teaching moment " (hate that phrase)   but anyway get it out in the open and hopefully some of these people can get some needed help......

I know nice idea , but maybe its a start.....

NoMini
NoMini PowerDork
8/6/18 9:10 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Oopsie.  Based on Nascars current drug policy, he is benched until he clears the rehab/clean period.  I hope that happens... 

And docked 100 points...

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
8/6/18 10:11 p.m.

DWI in Sag Harbor?  In the summer?   Yeah,  he ain’t getting out of this one easily.   The towns just outside the Hamptons have no tolerance for the wealthy summer crowd,  and the Frances aren’t exactly big names in that social circle.   Plus the people living in the area full time just plain hate the summer invaders.  Was an interesting area to come of age and watch it all play out.   

Not sure if it’s a good or bad thing for him it was a town cop instead of Suffolk County.  Both agencies are extremely serious about DWI enforcement.  But the little towns tend to try and one-up the big budget county cops.  So they may just throw everything at him just to prove a point.   Particularly with the possession charge on top of the rest.  

Either way this should be fun to see how it plays out.   

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
8/7/18 7:43 a.m.

He looks like Brian Setzer in the right angle..

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/18 7:55 a.m.

So what does nascar do?  If it was a driver they would be all but tossed out of the game. He did not just fail a drug test here he got an oui and arrested for possession of a narcotic. 

It is unforchinitly but it does make me question every decision he has made. It also screens hypocrisy to me.  

I have been a NASCAR fan since before it hit the big time and would hate to see it fail but I think it has got to big for itself and this may be the dose of humility that it needs. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/7/18 8:47 a.m.

Who was / what was the team back in the 1980s that used their racing to launder drug money - so very "Miami Vice".

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
8/7/18 9:45 a.m.
dean1484 said:

So what does nascar do?  If it was a driver they would be all but tossed out of the game. He did not just fail a drug test here he got an oui and arrested for possession of a narcotic. 

It is unforchinitly but it does make me question every decision he has made. It also screens hypocrisy to me.  

I have been a NASCAR fan since before it hit the big time and would hate to see it fail but I think it has got to big for itself and this may be the dose of humility that it needs. 

I think NASCAR has been getting a solid dose of humility for the past 5-8 years.  Attendance is down, dramatically.  The Cup races rarely draw 50% capacity...last weekend at the Glen was a very rare sell out.  They used to sell out routinely nearly everywhere.  If you watch Xfinity or truck races, you'd swear they forgot to open the grandstands, they're empty.  They can't even get 43 cars to show up anymore.  Personally I don't think that it matters much that they now only have 37-40 cars because the missing 3-6 cars were "start and park" anyway, but it's a sign of the times.  They've got issues to address well beyond Brian Frances' personal problems. 

From what I understand, he has taken an indefinite leave of absence, which is basically how they handle drivers who have similar issues.  Frankly, I'm glad NASCAR takes that so seriously, whether driver or executive.  If this was the NFL (which I love) or the NBA, the player would have been suspended for the 1st quarter of a pre-season game...maybe.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/7/18 10:32 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

John Paul Sr and Jr?  Porsche 911’s with minimal advertising?   

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/7/18 10:52 a.m.
kb58 said:

Who was / what was the team back in the 1980s that used their racing to launder drug money - so very "Miami Vice".

• Vic Lee - UK BTCC
  • Jerry Mahony - UK BTCC
  • Randy Lanier
  • Don Whittington
  • Bill Whittington
  • Marty Henze
  • John Paul Sr
  • John Paul Jr

And many more.  It was joked that IMSA stood for International Marijuana Smugglers Association back in the 80's  The dirty little secret of Motorsport is it was 'sin' funded for decades, it wasn't just easy Tobacco money, it was easy Alcohol money and super easy weed/coke money.

I bet Shane Hmiel and Jeremy Mayfield are laughing their asses off right now.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/7/18 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

And many more.  It was joked that IMSA stood for International Marijuana Smugglers Association back in the 80's  The dirty little secret of Motorsport is it was 'sin' funded for decades, it wasn't just easy Tobacco money, it was easy Alcohol money and super easy weed/coke money.

I played with the offshore race boats in the mid 80's.Those were wild times. Don Johnson of Miami vice fame was actually a participant.  I always found that ironic. Those things were pretty much fueled on cocaine.

Al Copland's Popeye  was always my favorite team.

Pete

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
8/7/18 12:38 p.m.

Suddenly segments made sense. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/7/18 12:52 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

over 100 people die each day from opiate  abuse  in the USA, 

This can be "a teaching moment " (hate that phrase)   but anyway get it out in the open and hopefully some of these people can get some needed help......

I know nice idea , but maybe its a start.....

True, good point. Not to sound like a PSA, but if you or a friend/family member needs help getting off that horse, no shame in asking. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/18 1:22 p.m.
kb58 said:

If you have not listed to these two episodes of Dinner with Racers, you should

Ep.52 – Randy Lanier

Ep.51 – Don Whittington

Great stories about "the way things were".  

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/7/18 1:52 p.m.

NASCAR has needed a shot in the arm for decades. I'd say since moving to the "Car of Tomorrow", as suggested by Smokey Yunick in his book, they've lost their way. Smokey had a good point in that if NASCAR really wanted to stop grey area exploitation they'd use a spec car and outlaw any deviation from that spec. Thing is, that made the racing distant from the crowd in that you aren't going to buy a "Car of Tomorrow" on a Toyota or Ford dealer's lot. When NASCAR started you could buy a version of the car that won on Sunday on the lot next Monday. That's the crowd connection. The Torino that won Daytona was on the lot down the street. 

Australian Supercars has it right. Those cars look like and use the same engines as the car on the dealership lot. NASCAR needs to follow that example. 

France being busted DWI with narcotics is a separate situation altogether. That's typical stuff that's only going to get worse for a segment of the population as time goes on unless we make treatment for mental health and addiction easier and cheaper to gain access to. This most likely won't happen until there's a significant profit motive introduced to entice action in that market. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/7/18 2:54 p.m.

I guess the fact that they charged him with possession of narcotics means the pills were not in a prescription bottle with his name on it? 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/18 4:18 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

I guess the fact that they charged him with possession of narcotics means the pills were not in a prescription bottle with his name on it? 

More than likely.   What I want to see is if this gest swept under the rug of if NASCAR owns up to it. 

My first look at the NASCAR website yesterday and there is NOTHING mentioned about it.  It really sucks for the Elliot family with Chase winning his first race and then this has to happen.  It was a great win for Chase. He is a big part of NASCAR's future and to have this happen just sucks. I am not saying that Chas's win was going to save NASCAR but it was a really good "feel good" win for NASCAR and now it is all but a footnote that is overshadowed.   

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uTEn0fsAqKKBduzfroDIfIxG8QP0pW8BwneyE3aeVE74p2g5m38WhMqKLpMnuYHN